Author Topic: Down shifting problem ... hitting neutral  (Read 2038 times)

AZSingletracker

Down shifting problem ... hitting neutral
« on: October 18, 2003, 05:28:35 PM »
As a new owner of the mean ol' KX5 I really love the bike. As well, I'm new to this site, it looks like a great one with lots of valuable info on it.

I do have a question however that some of the long time KX5 owners might be able to help with. When I down shift from second to first I am hitting neutral what seems to be way to regularly. As a long time Honda owner, this is my first Kawasaki and it just doesn't seem normal. I find it often takes two or three really good "hits" to finally get it to go into first.

On gnarly hill climb stuff, it really becomes an issue as a lot of momentum is lost while trying to get it into first.

Is this somewhat normal or does it seem like something might be misadjusted or worn? The bike is nearly new with just a couple hours on it so I really don't think that anything is really "worn out". Or, could it be that I'm used to the Honda tranny and it's typically smooth shifting?

Thanks for any help!

mikesmith

Down shifting problem ... hitting neutral
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2003, 08:17:59 AM »
I'll hit neutral once in a while,but I dont have to "hit" it 2 or 3 times and I think its just my shiftting because its not consitant.Ive had my bike new since '95 and they can wear the shift forks(usally going into 3rd) and I still have had no tranny problems.Ive always run Bel-Ray gear oil and have read some people claim they had better shifting after switching to a quality oil like Maxima ect.Shirter location makes a differance to,make sure its were you feel you get the best leverage.Try these easy things to see if it helps.