Author Topic: Horrible bogging and sputtering  (Read 2176 times)

BlackHills

Horrible bogging and sputtering
« on: September 01, 2008, 11:41:30 AM »
So I went riding yesterday with my wife and the KX was running just fine.  Today I went out with my brother and it was running great for about a mile on a gravel road and then really started bogging down bad and would barely run. 

This happened while I was running 2nd or 3rd gear at mid range rpm.  The bike will start up just fine and idle with no problem.  Once I try to give it a bunch of gas, even in neutral, it almost stalls out on me.  I rode the bike around quite a bit thinking that my plug had fouled but that didn't seem to be the case.  If I get the bike up in the mid rpm range with the clutch in then release the clutch I am able to cruise around at a pretty good clip, but as soon as I get out of this sweet spot it will start sputtering.  If I really get on the gas it will completely bog down and stall if I leave it at WOT.

I pulled some of the bike apart.  The spark plug looks fine and is gapped correctly with a strong looking spark when turned over.  The air filter was dirty but not bad enough to cause real problems.  I checked the carb out with what little carb knowledge I have and it looked fine.  There was nothing clogging either of the jets and the float was moving slowly (note: I don't know much about carbs, that's why I took it in to have someone else tune and rejet it last year).  I pulled the exhaust pipe off and checked piston and cylinder from the port and it looked ok, also checked the movement of the KIPS and it was moving smoothly.

I need a little help in diagnosing this problem.  I have replaced the top end myself so I am fairly compentent in the shop, but I just don't know enough to figure out where a problem is coming from.

I also checked the fuel flow from the tank by running it into a gas can and it didn't seem restricted.  I have been having problems with the exhaust on the bike as well.  The front mount broke so the pipe was rattling around, could excess air be getting sucked in through the exhaust?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 01:32:55 PM by BlackHills »

Offline KX500freak

• KX500 - Have a Wheelie good weekend
Re: Horrible bogging and sputtering
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 05:34:16 PM »
maybe putting in a new airfilter ,that dirty one could do some damage to the power.
also did you check for the right mixture ?
did your mount broke at that last ride,and then the issues appeared you,re talking bout?
either way you should make it first.
checked the reed cage also? must be in shape ,no damage or cracks.

goodluck  :-)

Dutch Team Green 91-94-01 KX500

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 09:19:21 AM »
Check reeds. Should not be split or broken corners on petals. I had one break reeds and same conditions happened. Also could be powervalve hung up. You can remove cover, start and see if it is moving when the throttle brings the rpms up off of bottom. Sometimes they will get all gooped up from riding easy. Good luck, post findings.

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008, 04:41:00 AM »
Ditto on the reeds.  When they leak the fuel mixture get pushed into the carb where it is enrichened then sucked back into the motors making the charge super rich, hence the spluttering. Other than that it can be the start of CDI problems where the timing curve changes but this is rare. Cam.