Author Topic: Hello, Im Charlie from Napa California  (Read 2247 times)

Offline Charlie500

Hello, Im Charlie from Napa California
« on: August 21, 2008, 12:04:18 PM »
Im 27 years old and have been ridding dirtbikes all my life. About 6 years ago i sold my first kx 500... BIG MISTAKE! haha since then i've been on four strokes. My last Bike was an 05 KTM 525 that i had bored and stroked to a 576. Had the suspension and motor built by Dicks Racing. Sure the bike had tons of power and handled really nice but i just couldn't stop thinking about my old 500. Even after all that money i dumped into that ktm it still didn't have the power like my old KX. So I sold it. I picked up a 1990 KX 500 for $800. Motor ran real strong but it needed a little TLC. So i stripped it apart down to the frame. I'm waitin on a friend of mine to weld up my top exhaust bracket. then the frame, sub-frame and swing arm are out to get powder coated. I'm thinking about having Dick do the suspension again. I was really happy with the suspension on the last bike he did for me. That zip ty racing gas tank and pipe looks pretty sweet. as soon as i get a digital camera i will get some pics up. What year 250 fenders fit the kx 5? was it 93?  i want to go all black plastics. Can't wait to get this thing together so i can go smoke all my buddies on there 450's!!!! haha  :-D
2014 KX 450 Bark-Buster

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
Re: Hello, Im Charlie from Napa California
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 03:16:22 PM »
Hey Charlie, welcome to the site.  My older brother used to live in Sonoma.
I hate to bring the bad news, but Zip-Ty no longer offers the tank/pipe combo.  You might call them, maybe they have a set laying around.
KX 500 Rider

Offline Charlie500

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 03:36:51 PM »
I hate to bring the bad news, but Zip-Ty no longer offers the tank/pipe combo.  You might call them, maybe they have a set laying around.

:-(
aww man....that sucks... well i'm gunna have to find a black tank of some sort then... i know the zip ty tank was clear. but if i can't get that kit i'm gunna go with a black tank...
2014 KX 450 Bark-Buster

Offline BDI

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008, 04:14:49 PM »

:-(
aww man....that sucks... well i'm gunna have to find a black tank of some sort then... i know the zip ty tank was clear. but if i can't get that kit i'm gunna go with a black tank...

You know just because they don't make it any more doesn't mean a supplier doesn't have one sitting on a shelf somewhere. We put a full Yoshimura pipe on a gsxr1100 a couple of years ago that they hadn't made in over ten years. We found it in Florida. It just took a bunch of phone calls to find It.
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!

Offline maddoggy

• K5 @ ST. ANTHONY DUNES
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008, 06:37:30 PM »
welcome charlie500, good to have you here. plenty of info here to get that k5 performing like a champ. i stopped at Napa about 5 yrs. ago on vacation in the fall. that's a really beautiful place.    MADDOGGY

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2008, 03:28:53 AM »

You know just because they don't make it any more doesn't mean a supplier doesn't have one sitting on a shelf somewhere. We put a full Yoshimura pipe on a gsxr1100 a couple of years ago that they hadn't made in over ten years. We found it in Florida. It just took a bunch of phone calls to find It.
[/quote]

BDI, your quote is so true.  When I found out they quit making the K5 I just had to have one.  I called 27 dealerships, I found my 2004 in Montrose Colorado.  Also, Works Connection quit making the radiator guards so I got on the net and found an obscure little motorcycle supply that had 1 set on close out.  Reg. price was $65 close out was $40.  Charlie,  like I said you should call Zip- Ty to see if they know where a set is laying around.  Good luck on your hunt.

KX 500 Rider

Offline Charlie500

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2008, 12:03:07 PM »

BDI, your quote is so true.  When I found out they quit making the K5 I just had to have one.  I called 27 dealerships, I found my 2004 in Montrose Colorado.  Also, Works Connection quit making the radiator guards so I got on the net and found an obscure little motorcycle supply that had 1 set on close out.  Reg. price was $65 close out was $40.  Charlie,  like I said you should call Zip- Ty to see if they know where a set is laying around.  Good luck on your hunt.

[/quote]

haha called zip ty today....they had some stuff laying around the shop and there going to hook me up.... :-o
2014 KX 450 Bark-Buster