Author Topic: Cams Trailer Saga  (Read 2639 times)

Offline KXcam22

Cams Trailer Saga
« on: July 30, 2008, 04:35:34 PM »
I figured that I would relate my recent trailer experience for others to learn from.  I started when I got a new truck with an incredilbly small box, too small for bikes. Then came the nice canopy and so a dirt-bike trailer was required. I am low on driveway space so need a small low trailer that could park under my boat trailer.  I started with a common 5x8 flat deck available at Walmart, "Versasport" brand made by snowbear, 1600lbs rated GVW.  Probably 90% of the small trailers in my town are Snowbear. I was originally going to build one but it is far easier to start with one.  It was easy to get 4 full size bike to fit, 2 on the ouside frame rails.  However, first easy 30 mile trip and the trailer started to bend laterally at the outside rails.  Turns out this trailer is braced poorly and not up the task. I ended up having to weld a twin front member and number of supports underneath. Then I discovered that the tongue was not centered so it took some sledge hammer work and a bunch of welding and extra supports to make it right.  After helping someone on the side of the highway replacing his bearings I figured I better check mine. One had NO grease and the other was 50/50 grease and water.  Cheap offshore bearings inside but I just repacked those. Then the tail lights started working intermittently - cheap design so need to replace those.  By this time I had only 50 miles on the trailer. Yikes!

In the end, the trailer actually works very well now.  Recently pulled it on a 2000km trip (inluding 300km of rough gravel) with no issues (bending).  I just hadn't planned on all the additional work.  I now wish I would have taken the time to build my own. I guess the moral of all this is that for any members considering using this style of trailer for more than 2 bikes should expect a bunch of extra work. Hope this helps someone. Cam.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 04:44:36 PM by KXcam22 »

Offline Platypus

• Platypus Racing
Re: Cams Trailer Saga
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 05:17:12 PM »
I take it the 500 was sitting next to you in the cab?  :-D

jazg

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 08:08:28 PM »
Green?? No green??! :lol:

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 01:21:58 AM »
I'm sorry to say,  Cam has gone to the ...........

THE DARK SIDE.....
I think cam gave up green for red,  that's OK he's still welcome here.
Once you own a K5 you never forget.
KX 500 Rider

Offline KX500freak

• KX500 - Have a Wheelie good weekend
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 01:45:21 AM »
I'm sorry to say,  Cam has gone to the ...........

THE DARK SIDE.....
I think cam gave up green for red,  that's OK he's still welcome here.
Once you own a K5 you never forget.

:-o  OH NO .... :wink:

*jokemodus on*

he,ll be passing all the tips & tricks to the  :evil:Others..
and we,ll be left behind helpless.. :cry:

*jokemodus off*

mine is good for two bike s and i have a pic of it too.
took a week to repair and clean but its an awesome trailer now

Dutch Team Green 91-94-01 KX500

Offline The Flyin Hawaiian

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 09:08:05 AM »
What are those wheels from? a Porshe! Looks good! I too have a Sno Bear trailer, mine has the sides. Its worked well for the 5 years that Ive had it. It was worrying me lately, its got around 20-25000 miles on it. Its been to Bike Week and all over the east coast going to numerouse enduros and trail rides. They are built abit on the chinsy side and I experienced many of the problems that Cam did. It worked out pretty good in the end. I just bought a slightly bigger 5x8 landscape type trailer made by Carry On. Plank deck, ramp gate, and 15" wheels. 
A couple of 03 and 04 KXs, a few YZs, 3 PE 400s, a DR and a TS.

Offline KX500freak

• KX500 - Have a Wheelie good weekend
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2008, 10:49:01 AM »
yeah the kind of mileage you guys put on these rigs is amazing for me ,
as for i,m living in country as big as 300 by 200 kilometer :-P

thanks about the wheels  :-)

those are germany made indeed :mrgreen:
but not porsche ,but opel kadett B ,sold in the USA as a chevrolet....don,t know the name of the type
the wheels have been widened to 8,5J and its 13"
looks smooth though aaaii :-D

Dutch Team Green 91-94-01 KX500