Author Topic: Coolant in KX500  (Read 13102 times)

Offline dave916

Re: Coolant in KX500
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2009, 05:33:13 AM »
most road racing bikes here in the uk are only allowed to use distilled water ,  with no problems  , once new a guy who spent weeks trying to fix a overheating problem after fitting a rg500 engine to rgv250 [trying bigger rads etc,] turned out he had not mixed his coolant with water, some coolant is thicker than water  slower circulating,   dont know much about evan coolant but if it does not boil until  365f is going to be hard to know when your bike is over heating?    i would not  use a lower psi cap , the more your pressurise water the higher the boiling point,

Offline agraebner

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2009, 05:49:34 AM »
Evans coolant is designed for maximum heat transfer and is viscosity correct.   You NEVER want boiling.  As soon as boiling starts there is no longer contact of liquid to your water jackets it vaporizes there and in the head first as they are the hottest. ass soon as vaporization ( boiling ) happens you loose the heat transfer of your cooling system.  the boiling point evans gives is with no pressure.  Be relieveing pressure you get rid of the chances of blow out of hoses and wear on seals such as water pumps as the pressure and temp rises. You can get stick on temp indicators to go right on your cylinder. I believe proo circuit makes them too.  Dave is absolutly correct most types of coolant REQUIRE water or you will get poor cooling.   The evans coolant was designed for high performance applications and racing.  Truck drivers use because it doesnt need additives to prevent boiling and cavitation or corrosion resistance.  It has since been used a lot in high performance and racing engines as well as motorcycles.  It is on a small list of allowed coolants at some of my local drag tracks. check out evanscooling.com for more info ( I am not affiliated or a dealer for their products  I just have seen benefits and its proven itself to me personally)

Offline cbmoor

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2009, 05:52:03 AM »
I was using normal coolant in my crf and at one meeting which was really muddy it boiled over since then I have used Engine ice and it never happened again and I have been in the same conditions since and now using it my KX, it is pricey but so is an engine rebuild if it gets to hot and not noticed

Offline martinfan30

• 2000 KX500
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2009, 06:26:00 AM »
So would distilled water be a viable alternative ? If you drain it after each ride?
2000 KX500
2005 XR650L

Neither are stock, and both are great desert bikes.

Offline Larry Wiechman

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2009, 07:02:49 AM »
 Pure water is an amazing coolant. The less additives used to combat corrosion or freezing, the better.
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/ethylene-glycol-d_146.html

Larry

Offline dave916

« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2009, 08:16:44 AM »
 can u use EVANS coolant with a low psi cap on any engine that was originally designed with a high pressure system  ??, i know modern superbikes run to 110c [100c is boiling]  sounds good if no pressure on hoses and seals

Offline kxraptor

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2009, 01:09:51 AM »
I tried "Engine Ice"on my race quad.Found it did not drop temp at all .Never used it again.

Offline agraebner

« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2009, 02:06:41 AM »
exactly dave  check their site for more info i have it in 3 street bikes and 5 dirtbikes my car and my truck

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2009, 04:33:11 AM »
Pure water has the highest heat absorbtion capacity.  Adding antifreeze to the water reduces this but is often necessary to prevent freezing and/or corrosion in the system and to raise the boiling point.  As soon as the water boils, the vapour bubbles reduce the contact surface area which reduces the transfer of heat tremendously.  To combat this all rad run under a pressure which increases the boiling point of the water above normal. Products like water wetter should help since they work by reducing the surface tension of the water, making it contact a surface easier and more completely. Most roadrace courses mandate water only since antifreeze spilled on the track surface is very slippery and difficult to clean off.  The evans waterless coolant is a great product as it is a different fluid with a much greater heat absorbtion capacity than water.  It also doesn't boil so the cooling system does not need to be pressurized.  I have never tried it but have been tempted a few times.  It is a good fix for 450s like mine with teeny rads. I have never run engine ice myself but reading the label I recal it is just Propylene-glycol coolant which is a bit better than ethlene-glycol.  I spent $$ adding a cool overflow tank to my 450 when a better fiix would have been putting in the Evan coolant. Then no overflow tank would be needed. Cam.