Author Topic: Could not pass this up.  (Read 5765 times)

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
Could not pass this up.
« on: June 02, 2008, 03:41:28 AM »
I've been told I can't have any more bikes.  I have also been told to stay off E-Bay and Craigslist.  But I could not pass on this near new 2001 K5.  I did a 15 hour round trip to St. Louis to pick it up.  Stopped at 3 different rest areas to catch a quick nap on the way back.  Started on the first kick, runs great.  It sure feels weird riding a bone stock K5 compared to my heavily modified (bolt on stuff) 2004 K5.  I kind of want to keep it stock but after having after market foot pegs for so long it's hard to work with the small stock pegs.  When I first saw it on E-Bay it was $3000 starting bid or buy it now for $3500.  At first I said no more bikes.  But it looked so unused every time I got on my computer I would take a look at it.  No bids on the bike for 3 days.  Saturday morning someone bid the starting bid.  I told myself if it's not gone at noon I was going to buy it.  I checked at noon and I bought it.  I told the girlfriend/soon to be wife I would trade one of my other bikes plus cash to get it.  I little white lie.  She's the one that said no more bikes.  I'll keep one in the storage shed in case she does a head count.  All that said what do you guys think?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 03:43:46 AM by Danger4u2 »
KX 500 Rider

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
Re: Could not pass this up.
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 04:19:41 AM »
Has anyone besides you ever rode that? The word "Minty-fresh" comes to mind. Maybe two words.  :lol:I have to stay off of ebay and craigslist also. I wind up spending all day watching bikes and people bidding on them. A guy with a sharp eye and ear and a good market area could probably make some loot buying and selling, but its that one bad deal that kills ya. Either hurts the wallet or reputation.
  I agree the stock pegs are way too small. What would you guess that clean of a bike would have for dealer list price?

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 05:02:49 AM »
I did buy it from a motorcycle dealer.  He's mostly into street bikes but gets dirt bikes once in awhile.  Most of the bikes he sells get shipped over seas.  He has some cool bikes.  I don't know if the K5 was traded in or consignment.  I think he and his mechanic had more seat time (out in front of his shop) than the original owner.

http://www.motorradstl.com/
KX 500 Rider

stewart

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 05:08:05 AM »
do you want me to send some one down and pick it up from u this week ..if you want to sell it let me know

DEZADX

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 03:57:05 PM »
Absolutely stunning.  Great find.  Frame paint still intact where the boots usually rub.   Well done.

Offline KX500freak

• KX500 - Have a Wheelie good weekend
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 07:35:46 PM »
Absolutely stunning.  Great find.  Frame paint still intact where the boots usually rub.   Well done.

d**n what a treasure.

here in holland you won,t find that.
maybe germany  :|
its awesome to have in the garage...
Dutch Team Green 91-94-01 KX500

Offline Uzi9mm

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2008, 10:24:14 AM »
Thats a great deal.  Looks like it just came of the showroom floor.  What would u rather have a brand new KX500 for 3500 bucks or a 450 for 8 grand?   8-)
Fear the government that fears your gun.

Offline GDubb

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2008, 11:30:35 AM »
Thats a great deal.  Looks like it just came of the showroom floor.  What would u rather have a brand new KX500 for 3500 bucks or a 450 for 8 grand?   8-)

Very well put.  Awesome find man... I dont understand why women seem to feel the need to have that control over their man to say "No more".  If YOU made the money and YOU can afford it then they have no place saying "No more". I consider myself old fashioned and I will always be the head of my household whether there is a woman in it or not.  I also consider myself lucky to have a woman now that wants to share every experience with me even if its something she would've never considered before she met me. My (our) next bike purchase will either be her first bike, a KX100, or a DRZ400SM for commuting due to gas prices. If the DRZ happens to come first then at least it has passenger pegs so we can go for rides together. She went from Abercrombie and Fitch to FOX pink/camo racewear and I love it. I'm sure she would be happy right along with me if we had a garage full of bikes. Motorcycling is a passion and a lifestyle and if it was something that she would try to come in between then we just wouldnt work out. I'm just glad she understands and has somewhat caught the bug as well.

-G
Rock it 'til the wheels fall off!

"It's not what you ride... It's who you're riding for!" - www.mxrevelation.com -

Offline k5abuser

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2008, 12:49:08 PM »
remember its easyer to ask for forgivness than to ask for premission . lol. i had guy buy a m-16 for $1600. his wife told him he was stupid and that he should sell it . after a year he gave in to shut her up . sold it for $3500. 2 years later he came looking for one and they cost about $11,000. . he looked at his wife she didn't say a word . just told him he could buy what ever he want when he wanted . now that gun is $16,000. so where will the k5's be in 10 years. don't ride it danger4u.
race gas is fast but Q16 hauls azz.i still ride because i am not ready to have been that fast. i ride a kx500 because they don't make a kx600!ck k5abuser on youtube

Offline kiwimonster

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2008, 06:32:03 PM »
 :-D awesome find i know of acouple of k5 and cr5,s here in new zealand that have never been started and just left in the garage. still have plastic on the seats.   still love that service kx 500af. anyone have one .
d c scrivens

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2008, 05:06:43 PM »
As I sit here thinking about all the goodies I have collected to put on the 2001..............How cool would it be to put this near new motor into an AF framed bike.  That would free up the 01 chassis as a rolling parts inventory for my other 2 K5's.  I could do all the minor repairs that the 2003 K5 needs and put all the goodies on it.  That sounds like a plan.
KX 500 Rider

Offline kiwimonster

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2008, 05:29:10 PM »
ohhhhhhh bugger it nearly make me cry .all them lovely k5s you have, we had one here in nz on trade me he wanted $11250for it . only been ride down the drive and back.  .
d c scrivens

Offline Panhead

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2008, 11:19:16 PM »
What a sweet find!  Yeah, that deal is way better than a new 450 and a mo better bike IMO.  My wife is cool about bikes.  She says if we have the money, OK go get it.   8-)
2003 KX 500
2001 ZRX 1200 R
2003 FLHT
1964 Suicide Shift Panhead
2003 CR 85

Offline iamsofaking

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2008, 01:49:13 AM »
That is badass.  I am jealous!

Offline bunk

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2008, 04:37:30 AM »