Author Topic: KX 500 faults and fixes thread  (Read 17739 times)

Offline demographic

KX 500 faults and fixes thread
« on: October 05, 2003, 04:40:55 AM »
Right , my reason for starting this thread is to (hopefully) provide a resource for information on how to combat those little niggles that can be a problem to KX owners.

Please contribute your ideas cos that way it should grow and help us all out.

Fault

The top exhaust mount (under the tank) on just about ALL KX 500s breaks.

Fix

Get a welder to reinforce it with 1/8" by half an inch flat steel.

The chain seems to rub on the inside of the rear subframe (on mine anyway) so I cut a length of aluminium which is aproximatley half an inch by a sixteenth of an inch thick angle and about 6 or seven inches long (I am writing this at my girfriends house so don't have exact measurements) ans rivet or screw it onto the frame so it wears instead of your expensive subframe.

Destrys bike has this mod cos I have seen a picture in a MX mag and could just make it out on the piccy.

Fault

Aparentley they also can shear woodruff keys which allows the flywheel to slip round and then your timing is out.

This can be caused because the crank end taper is not an exact match for the tapered hole in the flywheel

Kickback anyone :shock:

Fix

Remove your flywheel and woodruff key from the crank end taper.

Put a dab of valve grinding paste onto the taper and then put the flyeheel (minus the woodruff key) back on but don't put the nut on.

Lap the two surfaces together by turning the flywheel until they are evenly matt in colour.
Wipe ALL the grinding paste off the taper and use carb cleaner to get it out of the inside of the flywheel cos it's a bugger to get out otherwise.

Reasemble it all and tell the folk with YZ 490s about what you have done cos they have this problem also (acording to Eric Gorrs book anyway).

Thats all I can think of for now but I will post any more if I think of any.

Please add your KX faults and fixes to this thread and any suggestions you come up with :)

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2003, 04:50:26 AM »
The leaky countershaft seal. Not really the countershaft seal but the o-ring behind the metal collar.

I took the metal collar out, tossed the o-ring into the trash can and took alittle metal from one end of the collar. I then took another o-ring (not the expensive little booger from Kawasaki, one from Home Depot :wink:

This o-ring has the following specs:
1-1/8X7/8X3/32 it is a #17 o-ring from Home Depot stock number 35734B

I used the "Scientific Method" of grind a tiny bit and check the fit until it fit well, so I don't have an exact amount to remove from the collar. This mod had prevented that leak for well over a year.

Offline demographic

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2003, 05:02:33 AM »
Just thought of another.

If your like me and think that a Boyeson ignition cover looks better and more importantly, stronger that the cheesy plastic item they have standard. you should be aware that they don't fit over the 14 ounce Steahly flywheel weight I have fitted............

bugger :roll:

teamgreen500

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2003, 05:36:58 AM »
DRAIN PLUGS.....or.....actually, Drain Plug threads in CASES!

Simple fix:

1. Engage brain before fidling with it (Don't OVER torque the bolt...that's a good start)
2. Get an Aluminum Drain Plug with a magnet in it (Zip-Ty...cheap v. fixing your cases!) The Aluminum (Aluminium, for Sir John...) is less likely to strip the threads outta the cases in the event you missed item -1-.
3. Drill and Safety-wire your plug. This will aid in your confidence since you didn't get to "Crank" on it like you wanted to! :shock:

In my "Introduction" where I listed all the goodies on my bike...I failed to mention the "Insert"(!) in my cases due to my TEAM-MATE (An educated engineer, non-the-less!) tore the threads out when new! :oops:

Best of Luck....I should be riding today...no rest for the Wicked, I guess! :evil:

Manny

mikesmith

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2003, 08:21:19 AM »
The linkage likes grease,especially the small linkage bearing in the shock.The K5 sucks a lot of air so with that you get a lot of dirt,clean your air filter or check it each ride(I know its  a maintenance thing,not a flaw.)I rerouted my clutch cable and keep it lubed,extended my clutch arm 8mm(8 or 10,it was a long tme ago so not sure) and bought a cluth perch with an easy adjust and a bearing in the lever.I didnt do this but I hear polishing the actuater rod helps to.The sub frame mounts near the tank needs some gussets added.You should keep fresh o-rings in the pipe and high temp silicone to keep the pipe from rattling.Foot peg mounts will spread over time,use Terrycable/Ty-Davis or ProCircuit mounts(up date to newer style if your on a older bike and having spare foot peg springs is a good idea.And of course if you have the older kick starter get a new one and keep the old one as a spare,I just ordered one after braking mine in a bad place(but do things ever brake in a good place?)cost me $94.36!Id write more but its off to work.

HULKSTER

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2003, 10:29:52 AM »
My KX500 has a negative effect on all other bikes around it. It makes them slower. :)

mikesmith

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2003, 06:45:06 AM »
What makes it real fun is you can get a used K5 for a few thousand or a new K5 for $4999.00 and smoke the $6500.00 four bangers,even after they dump a boat load of money in them to make them faster!Sorry four strokers,just in fun!

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2003, 07:21:54 AM »
Nothing to be sorry about...
Quote from: mikesmith
Sorry four strokers,just in fun!

Like the old saying goes "Truth hurts don't it?" :lol:

teamgreen500

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2003, 09:19:27 AM »
Yup!

Manny

dholder

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2003, 07:03:55 AM »
two years ago, when I was shopping to replace my 94 KX500 I considered a KTM 520MXC, killer bike except for the price $7999.00, I purchased my 01 5hunny brand new in june of 01 in Denver for $4153 including tax!  A fellow can get a great deal if he shops,  when I purchased my 94 it was new, but had sat on the floor for nearly 3 years, i bought it in Nov of 96 for $4074 in Kansas City.  When you look to step up to a new 1 spend some time shopping.

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2003, 07:28:18 AM »
Kelly's Kawasaki - local Mesa, AZ dealer - will sell you anything on the floor for $1000 below the ticketed price during the month of January every year. I got my '01 for $3799.00 (sticker) and $4083.93 out the door.

kawdude

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2003, 02:43:54 PM »
Water pump seal...but what can you do???

moburki

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2003, 04:07:06 PM »
Talked to Kelly Kawi, they said they'd never heard of such a deal. Me and my office mate were considering 3 of em...maybe we'll find a deal somewhere. I've got an offer in on an '01 for 2600 used, no paint off of frame. sooner or later i'll have a kx motard and dirty :lol:
mo

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2003, 04:20:01 PM »
Thats very odd, it's on the local radio station, 98 KUPD, every year in the Dec / January timeframe. The first year I heard it was the year I bought mine. Since then I've heard it each of the last two years.

Offline GreenMachine

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2003, 05:43:55 PM »
Check Valley Kawasaki. Last time I was there I saw a 2003 for 3650.
Even the mightiest of oaks was once just a crazy nut that stood its ground.