Author Topic: Any way to seal this crack?  (Read 3287 times)

Offline GDubb

Any way to seal this crack?
« on: April 24, 2008, 12:32:17 PM »
I bought this tank that was supposed to be in "really great shape" and later found this crack in it. Is there ANY way possible to seal it? It goes a full 180* around the filler neck. Other than this d**n crack, the tank was gorgeous... almost brand new looking so it would sure be a sad shame if I didnt get to run it and am just out the money.

-G

Rock it 'til the wheels fall off!

"It's not what you ride... It's who you're riding for!" - www.mxrevelation.com -

Offline Mick

Re: Any way to seal this crack?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 01:32:58 PM »
Somebody really tightened the piss out of that one  :-o

I don't think there's a pretty way to fix that disaster waiting to happen.
1989 KX500
2003 Service Honda CR500AF

Offline GDubb

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 03:52:02 PM »
I figured as much but figured I'd ask in case there was some magic trick I was unaware of. I really thought I had scored when I bought this tank. It looked brand new... then I went to put fuel in it just to find out that I gave somebody $120 for a shiny piece of garbage. You gotta beware of who you buy things from, even around here. Looks like Clarke is gonna get a couple hundred bucks outta me too.
Too bad... it was almost perfect...

Rock it 'til the wheels fall off!

"It's not what you ride... It's who you're riding for!" - www.mxrevelation.com -

Texas Champ.

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 05:24:38 PM »
Empty the fuel , and use a soldering gun to melt the crack closed....Clarke gave me the idea when my boys YZ -80 tank did the same thing in the same area...it worked well. I also understand that there is a "plastic welder" on the market...Kerry

Offline kaw rider

• Cool your engine with water not fuel
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 05:52:41 PM »
yeah, that plastic welder epoxy is something else. strong as fu@*.

Offline The Flyin Hawaiian

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008, 11:26:25 PM »
I cant tell how much flat surface that is there but Acerbis uses an aluminum filler neck that bolts to the top of their oversize tanks so there is an option for a dry brake setup. I think you could get that aluminum filler neck and possibly use it on that tank, provided that there is enough room.
A couple of 03 and 04 KXs, a few YZs, 3 PE 400s, a DR and a TS.

Offline bigbellybob

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2008, 03:13:02 AM »
snap-on has a nice plastic welder you even use filler plastic with it. a dry brake is not a bad idea, it would give it that racing look if one will fit.
IF RIDING IS OUTLAWED ONLY OUTLAWS WILL RIDE

sponsor
http://www.steelmx.com/

500GUY

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2008, 05:43:01 AM »
I have a dry brake tank, Don't think it would work as the hole and flange are to big, the KX tank would not mate to it flat.

Offline fluffy

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2008, 08:30:06 AM »
i have used j-b weld on my yz tank ,no leak yet three years.

kayx250

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2008, 02:03:57 PM »
ive used the soldering iron technique a couple of years ago on a friends bike and it worked pretty well....you just got to take your time and no try to fix it with one solid drag of the crack....you got to slowly work some of the other plastic to the crack.

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2008, 02:19:49 PM »
The plastic welder works with many different plastics. I believe the filler rods are made of different plastics. So the exact type of plastic is important to the equasion. Never heard of the solder-iron tecnique, but seems possible. A Clarke tank is available for 150, I think. Different colors and all that. Motosport Outlet. Sometimes its costs money trying  to save it. Done it a bunch of times myself.

Offline barryadam

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2008, 06:25:06 AM »
Contact your dealership.  There were problems with KDX (and other models) tanks at the filler neck and petcock mount.  They have an "unofficial" warranty replacement program, but you have to be persistent and your dealer has to call Kaw to get authorization from Irvine.  Give 'em the VIN and they can provide a new free replacement.  Search KDX forums for tank crack.  Worked for mine.

Barry
"I hate heli-coils. They are like hospice for motorcycle parts."- BDI

KX 500 fever

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2008, 05:49:06 PM »
the eastwood company.com  has a welder that would work it's not real cheep but it would  pay for its self in time :-)