Author Topic: Getting the 500 to hook up  (Read 5804 times)

Offline stock500

Getting the 500 to hook up
« on: April 14, 2008, 02:57:00 AM »
I was riding my brothers 4-stroke this weekend, and really like the way they hook up.  I know the 500 is just going to spin more, but other than choosing the right tire is there anything that will help the 500 get better traction without hurting the power output.
It's all in the wrist!  Save a tire, shift early!

Offline Good

• Yo.
Re: Getting the 500 to hook up
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 03:15:37 AM »
Practice slipping your clutch.  This can be VERY effective for traction coming out of corners to short runways for jumps, etc.

Offline BDI

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 05:37:36 AM »
Run the bike in a gear one higher then you think you should be in.  If you ride the bike like a 250 you are going to burn up tires and go slower, you will never get it to hook up.  The rpms will be alot lower and the bike will hook up alot like a thumper. Try to keep the bike in a gear that keeps the engine loaded but not bogged down, role the throttle on smooth, with a little practice you will find yourself haulin ass with alot less effort.   8-)
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!

Offline Good

• Yo.
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 06:33:53 AM »
Run the bike in a gear one higher then you think you should be in.  If you ride the bike like a 250 you are going to burn up tires and go slower, you will never get it to hook up.  The rpms will be alot lower and the bike will hook up alot like a thumper. Try to keep the bike in a gear that keeps the engine loaded but not bogged down, role the throttle on smooth, with a little practice you will find yourself haulin ass with alot less effort.   8-)
Great points, once you get this down you can gear up or low for the speeds you need for the operating ranges.

I ride on the pipe a lot, and just deal with it unless I'm forced to slip clutch or torque out of something.

Offline stock500

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2008, 07:34:05 AM »
Thanks for the response.  I will admit that I can't ride the 500 like a 250 because I would get bucked off sooner or later.
It's all in the wrist!  Save a tire, shift early!

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2008, 07:50:42 AM »
Flywheel weight?? How fast of section do you have on your local MX tracks? Where I live you might get lucky to get into 4th gear for a short time and that's about it. Reason I ask is the FMF gnarly pipe adds some nice low to mid range torque to this bike which helps with riding in a gear higher. Learning to ride the 500 like a 4-stroke will help. Like BDI said keep the engine loaded but not bogging it down and then just apply throttle. I agree their is no way in hell I can ride the 500 like I ride my 250 smoker. 
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2008, 08:49:57 AM »
My technique was to always short-shift, using the midrange power.  Not many tires will keep a wide open KX500 in full traction unless you are at high speed.  Use throttle control rather than wacking on the throttle suddenly.  There are lots of mods you can do to pump up and smooth out the midrange to make it more tractible. Cam.

Offline apple

• Desertriding.com
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2008, 08:56:21 AM »
I don`t know what year bike you have but mine came with a 19" rear wheel. I put an 18" rim and tire on the bike and it made a huge difference, especially in the loose stuff. It works for me since I ride dez all the time. Climbing hills, sliding, hitting the washes all work better now. Mo fun!
2000 KX500

Offline BDI

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2008, 10:26:41 AM »
Going to an 18" back wheel really helps and is probably one of the best mods you can do to a k5 that gets ridden offroad its right there with a skid plate.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 10:29:53 AM by BDI »

t_skibum

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2008, 12:39:49 PM »
What size tire are you using with 18in rim?
And what tire are you happy with?

Offline apple

• Desertriding.com
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2008, 05:09:21 PM »
Got a Dunlop D739 120/100X18. Went on a tire guys recommendation since I don`t know $hit about all the different tires out there. He said it will last on the 500. It`s the only one I`ve had but whatever it`s a bunch better than the old 19. Coming out of a turn hard on the gas is 10 times more controllable too. The 19 felt like it was hopping around a bit. All around more better now.
2000 KX500

Offline Uzi9mm

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2008, 06:36:28 PM »
Why is an 18" rim better?  Is it better for track and trails?
Fear the government that fears your gun.

Offline Good

• Yo.
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2008, 02:22:07 AM »
I'm impressed with the Dunlop D756.  It works well for the different terrain I ride in, except for sand.  It suxorz in sand.  That's why they make paddles though right?   :wink:

puffy

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2008, 05:33:13 AM »
Going to an 18" back wheel really helps and is probably one of the best mods you can do to a k5 that gets ridden offroad its right there with a skid plate.
I not trying to argue but is the 18 lighter or lower the gearing I don't see why a 19 with the same tire wouldn't be just as good please explain. :-D

Offline BDI

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2008, 06:15:27 AM »
I not trying to argue but is the 18 lighter or lower the gearing I don't see why a 19 with the same tire wouldn't be just as good please explain. :-D
The tire for a 19" wheel has the same overall size as a tire for an 18" wheel It does nothing to gearing. Do to the tires being the same size but the rim being smaller you have more sidewall. Having more side wall means a tire can absorb impacts better this gives you a better ride and alot less of a chance of getting a flat. Having more sidewall also means a tire can conform to the ground better and give you more traction thats why rock crawlers use big fat tires with little wheels.