Author Topic: Need Alternate Source for Front Gas Tank Mount Bolt  (Read 1986 times)

Offline TheGDog

Need Alternate Source for Front Gas Tank Mount Bolt
« on: April 07, 2008, 05:46:24 PM »
Hey Guys,

The bolt and large washer which are used to hold down the front of the Gas Tank. 

Apparently on this last ride one must have vibrated off.

I'm assuming the head of the bolt is like an 8mm.

Can somebody give me the length and thread pitch, along with a suggestion of where (OTHER than dealer) to acquire this hardware in the Orange County or South Bay/LA areas of CA?

It would be much appreciated, thanks.

-TheGDog
'97 PC800 + '96 KX 500 + '90 KDX 200 + 2000 XR50R (for the lil guy!)

Offline demographic

Re: Need Alternate Source for Front Gas Tank Mount Bolt
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 08:21:25 AM »
Can't remember the length but its an M6 X 1mm thread.

Offline BDI

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 10:08:21 AM »
These guys (global metrics) actually supply alot of the bike shops with hardware and they carry all of the hard to find special motorcycle hardware for alot less then the dealerships will sell it to you for. They do not have a web site that I know of but they are really cool to deal with on the phone.  http://www.macraesbluebook.com/search/company.cfm?company=1012505
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 02:03:31 PM by BDI »
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!

Offline TheGDog

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 07:40:57 PM »
Hmm... thanks for that info BDI.

I was, however, hoping that somebody in SoCal was gonna be able to tell me "Oh yeah... just go to this store called (BLAH-DEE-BLAH) they have everything like that.

Anyone?......   Anyone?
'97 PC800 + '96 KX 500 + '90 KDX 200 + 2000 XR50R (for the lil guy!)

Offline demographic

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2008, 07:23:15 AM »

I was, however, hoping that somebody in SoCal was gonna be able to tell me "Oh yeah... just go to this store called (BLAH-DEE-BLAH) they have everything like that.

Anyone?......   Anyone?

Well, its an flanged head M6 X 1mm threaded bolt, all you have to do is find the right length or buy a long one and cut it down with a hacksaw.
The head is indeed 8mm across the flats and its about 25 mm long, if you get one longer its a doddle to cut down though.
I assume you have industrial fastener shops over there?

Do you still have the other bolt on the other side of the headstock?  If so you can take it into the industrial fastener shop and say "get me a few of these" and you will have some spares for next time it happens.

Offline BDI

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2008, 07:55:46 AM »

Anyone?......   Anyone?
Picking up your phone and having it delivered strait to your house isn't convenient enough I guess :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I'm just razzing ya, as far as I know the hardware on are bikes Is speicalized hardware and you are only going to get it from the bike shop or a speicalized place like global metrics, your local hardware store will not have it. If you decide to order it you have to tell them it's a m6 bolt with a 1.00 thread pitch 25mm long and has an 8mm flanged head the guy at global metric will know what you are talking about.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2008, 08:02:51 AM by BDI »
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!