Author Topic: Service Honda KX500AF  (Read 4490 times)

Offline uncle albert

Service Honda KX500AF
« on: April 07, 2008, 01:29:59 AM »
Hello boys and girls,

I'm in the market for a 500 conversion, and Service Honda is the obvious (only?) place to go. I can find lots of info and a few ride reviews for the CR500AF, but not a single one for the new KX version. My question is, has anyone here ridden the Service Honda KX500AF and if so, can they share thier knowledge? How is the KX compared to the CR?

Thanks in advance.

Offline stock500

Re: Service Honda KX500AF
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 02:20:17 AM »
Service honda just started making the KX.  I have never riven one but I think it save to assume that it would handle like a KFX 250 with about twice the power.  If I had 10k to drop on a bike that would be my only choice. :-D
It's all in the wrist!  Save a tire, shift early!

Offline Mick

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 05:11:25 AM »
AJ is using the 450 chassis as the platform for the KX500AF.

I saw AJ mentioned coming back from Cali last month after finishing some testing with MXA.  He said to expect the write up in June or July I believe.  I know they were riding the CR, and I think they rode the KX a bit too...but I'm not sure.

There's a short write up of the KX500AF in Transworld MX(?), for one of their "Dream Ride" articles.  About 3 half pages of material.  I don't believe it was quite a finished product then.  They didn't sound very thrilled about it.  The handling and vibration didn't rub them the right way.

MX-Tech has probably been working with S/H a lot since then to iron things out.

*EDIT*  I had another look at his comment.  Doesn't say anything about MXA riding the KX  :-(  On that note I wonder if Service Honda has had any magazines interested in riding it lately :?  Naturally I would like to read a comparison of both 500AF's.  Like a modern open class shootout  :evil:
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 05:25:13 AM by Mick »
1989 KX500
2003 Service Honda CR500AF

Offline uncle albert

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 07:38:03 PM »
Service honda just started making the KX.  I have never riven one but I think it save to assume that it would handle like a KFX 250 with about twice the power.  If I had 10k to drop on a bike that would be my only choice. :-D
They must have been making and selling them for almost a year now. Somebody out there must have bought one and can let us know what its like to ride :?

Mick, thanks for your reply, but I can't find the Dream Ride articles that you mention. Do you have a link to any of them?
AJ is the guy at Service Honda who does the actual building, right? Anybody know what he thinks of the KX (I know he's biased as he builds the things, but it would still be interesting to hear what he has to say regarding how the KX conversion rides compared to the CR).

Offline stock500

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 04:09:40 AM »
Holy crap I need to learn to how spell!
It's all in the wrist!  Save a tire, shift early!

Offline Mick

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2008, 09:44:57 AM »
It's not in Transworld, it's in a spring '07 Dirt Rider, the "Dream Ride" article.  I have it around here someplace...

I wouldn't go through too much to find it.  It's not worth crap.  At no point I felt did they provide the reader a thorough explanation for the KX's advantages and disadvantages.  I read it as, "it handles like crap, makes lots of power, really light, vibrates like hell and sucks the life out of you trying to start it..."  Not verbatim, but close to it.  It was like they were really upset it didn't feel like a 450.  I complained about this very article after I read it and I remember AJ mentioning it may have been lacking in material because the bike wasn't totally finished yet and it was a hasty ride report, i.e. "Dream Ride".

But I agree, it's been a good while since then and I'm sure Service Honda has sold a number of them since.  So...where's the feedback?  And honestly I'm not too interested in what an owner of a KX500AF has to say.  It's going to be the best bike he's ever ridden anyway...  Furthermore I would prefer to read a test of the two 500's back to back, as riding one 500 at a time will produce much the same feedback.  And I totally understand AJ's position, and why he isn't going to "SAY" which bike does what better.  Blonds or Brunettes I believe is his likely answer.

Maybe AJ will see this and drop a few words of encouragement??  Like you I've just got to wait patiently and scrub the magazines for a detailed ride report on the KX.  Are you listening Magazine Editors...I'm waiting!  If you print, I will buy  :-D
1989 KX500

Offline Good

• Yo.
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2008, 05:12:29 PM »
I thought for sure that I had a PM from AJ, but I cannot find it.  Might have been an email...  Anyway in it he said he personally likes the CR better because he's a small guy and the ergos are a bit more cramped on the CR.  I guess it just fits him better.  But, he also said that the KX pulls away from the CR in a race consistently every time.  Take it for what it's worth.   :wink:

Offline uncle albert

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2008, 06:48:48 PM »
Ok, I've taken the plunge and have ordered a bike (through an import agent here in Sweden). 7-10 weeks for Service Honda to build the thing, then about another 2 weeks to ship to Sweden. Thats going on 3 months, it's going to be a long wait..
I would normally never buy anything that has so little information available about it, but I've decided to take a risk  :| However, I think that the risk that I won't like the bike, or that the bike will be nasty, is small.
Regarding the price of the bike, I understand that in the US its expensive, but for us in Europe its about the same price as a new 450f (until the USD recovers, that is). So choosing a new bike was a bit of a no-brainer, really  :-D

"Good", if you know AJ, then feel free to have a word and ask him to put the KX destined for Sweden together with even more love and care than normal  :wink:

Mick, if you can wait a few months, I'll be able to give you a ride review for free :-D

Offline doordie

• Global Moderator
  • Do or Die.....
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2008, 12:34:27 AM »
Ok, I've taken the plunge and have ordered a bike (through an import agent here in Sweden). 7-10 weeks for Service Honda to build the thing, then about another 2 weeks to ship to Sweden. Thats going on 3 months, it's going to be a long wait..
I would normally never buy anything that has so little information available about it, but I've decided to take a risk  :| However, I think that the risk that I won't like the bike, or that the bike will be nasty, is small.
Regarding the price of the bike, I understand that in the US its expensive, but for us in Europe its about the same price as a new 450f (until the USD recovers, that is). So choosing a new bike was a bit of a no-brainer, really  :-D

"Good", if you know AJ, then feel free to have a word and ask him to put the KX destined for Sweden together with even more love and care than normal  :wink:

Mick, if you can wait a few months, I'll be able to give you a ride review for free :-D

Hi uncle albert!

So your are from Sweden like me! 8-)

Did you order through C.M.C Sweden?

(PM to me and we can share info about each other if you want)
Iceroad champion 2006,still 2007,even 2008 without a single race!

Offline uncle albert

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2008, 01:00:08 AM »

Hi uncle albert!

Hi doordie, see pm..

Offline doordie

• Global Moderator
  • Do or Die.....
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2008, 01:14:23 AM »

Hi uncle albert!

Hi doordie, see pm..
Beware,Swedes are contacting each other via USA ..... :-D :lol: 8-)
Iceroad champion 2006,still 2007,even 2008 without a single race!

Offline Mick

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2008, 07:40:44 AM »
Uncle, that's awesome you ordered from Service Honda.  I'm jealous.  I'd give an arm and a leg to ride your KX500AF.  Having a S/H CR and an '89 KX the "what if's" are constantly playing games in my head.  My '89 is so fast I'd love to put it in a modern chassis like my CR.  You won't be disappointed that's for sure.
1989 KX500

Offline k5abuser

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2008, 12:39:13 PM »
IF IT ANIT GREEN IT ANIT MEEN (K)
race gas is fast but Q16 hauls azz.i still ride because i am not ready to have been that fast. i ride a kx500 because they don't make a kx600!ck k5abuser on youtube

Offline GDubb

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2008, 02:48:29 PM »
I just cant believe what I'm hearing!  :-o This is BLASPHEMY! Service HONDA building a KAWASAKI KX500??? That's sacrilege! Whats next?  A Chevy Mustang???  A Nissan CIVIC???  A Mitsubishi Impreza???

Just kidding... at least someone is building them.  :wink:

-G
Rock it 'til the wheels fall off!

"It's not what you ride... It's who you're riding for!" - www.mxrevelation.com -

Offline Good

• Yo.
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2008, 02:05:01 AM »
I don't know AJ, but one of these days I will own one of these myself so I enquired about them.

On another note, I'd have the motor sent to Stewart before it was all packaged up for some "finishing touches" to get all you can out of it.   :-D