Author Topic: Rear shock / linkage  (Read 3484 times)

Kev

Rear shock / linkage
« on: March 30, 2008, 02:52:12 AM »
Hey everybody. I've got an '02 500 had it about a month and it seems as though she sits really low in the rear. Specs for the bike indicate that I should have a seat height of 37.5 inches. If I fully extend the suspension I'm getting about 36.25 inches. I don't really like using seat height as a measurement, but I cannot find any other measurement for height in any book or online. So I was hoping you guys could help me out. Center to center axle to seat mount bolt or floor to seat mount bolt would be great. I prefer axle to seat bolt so as to eliminate tire differences. I'm looking for factory height so you high and low riders wont help me much. I've measured my dog bones and I come up with 134mm center to center. I searched the past messages and found that they look to be original length. Also when adjusting my shock it seems as though I have completely lost my compression adjustment. Min to max gives no change. Rebound however is definitely working. If I max rebound and compress the shock the bike stays there, will not come back up at all. Is that normal? I've never max'd rebound on any of my other bikes in the past. I had an '88 500 and it seemed more plush than this bike. I'm wondering if I have lost my charge in the shock because when I set preload at 4 inches race sag I can bottom out very easily. So I stiffen preload back up and of course I get a harsh ride. I weigh 175 lbs. I've been giving some thought to putting a shock off of a 450f on. Has anyone on here done or attempted this mod? Sure would be nice to have modern shock technology on the old scoot, and then having the after market accessories opened up would be nice also. Anyway, it definitely sounds like several of you guys have been into the rear shock, so any and all advice/experience/feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Kev

Offline KXcam22

Re: Rear shock / linkage
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 03:22:02 AM »
KEV,
   It sounds like your shock may be due for a rebuild.  Also someone will have to confirm your dogbone length.  It is possible that your bike (I am assuming it had a previuos owner) put shorter dogbones on the lower the seat height, a common way to do it.  The shock rebuild is easy to do yourself or you might want to send it out for a rebuild a revalve.  That way you will get a much better action.  There are rebuild instruction on this site. Hope this helps. Cam.

Kev

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 04:40:29 AM »
Yeah, I knew that I'd be taking the shock off. I was just trying to find out if my bones had been changed so that I could remedy that issue at the same time. I ride on a track a lot and like to get some air, but right now if I get much over 4 feet or a downhill jump I 'm getting close to the bottom and I know that isn't right. I have given some thought to a complete Racetech rebuild of forks and shock, but not sure about spending that kind of green on a bike that is already at least ten years out dated. I know, $$$ stupid issue. :roll:
What do you think about updating to the 450F shock?
Kev

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 03:05:28 AM »
Kev,
  I think it would be easier and cheaper to rebuild/revalve the stock KX500 shock.   I know that 4-strokes use different damping in the shock.  After modifying to get a 450F shock to fit you would likely have to get it revalved anyway to make it work nice.  The only advantange of the 450F shock is the HS compression adjustability.  Hope this helps. Cam.

Kev

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008, 04:08:57 AM »
Thanks Cam. In my quest for new and improved I forget that I just want to ride. Anybody else have the axle to seat or subframe bolt measurements on a K5 standing in stock form. I don't want to order new pull rods from Kawasaki only to find that they are the same length as mine. Thanks.

Kev

Offline serafin

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 12:07:40 PM »
Kev  Look closely at the dog bones and see if their stamped with some other aftermarket name.  If they look plain their more than likely original.  As far as measured seat height not really sure where its measured.  Being that its a 6 year old bike that you bought used the most cost effective option would be to rebuild the rear shock new oil and air and possibly a new spring.  A good shock tech could tell you if its been modified.

serafin

Kev

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2008, 04:34:07 PM »
Thanks serafin. I agree with you and Cam, I ordered the full package from race tech today to do the forks and the shock. Spring rates look ok for my weight so I shouldn't have to change springs. As for the dog bones, I think I am just going to make a set at 132mm and see what kind of difference I get. I really enjoy the bike and I know once I resolve the shock issue I will be in heaven. I sold my '88 K5 in '97 and regretted it shortly after and it has taken me 11 more years to get another one. 11 years is a long time to not have that 500 smile. :-D
Thanks guys.
Kev

Offline don46

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2008, 03:36:11 AM »
The 134mm should be stock, Pro circuit used to make a set for the 5, but alas no more, I think DEVOL still makes a adjustable set, you can go longer or shorter depending on your desire. The new shocks are longer than you 500 shock, the lower clevis is longer than yours, I have modified a newer shock to work on a later model bike, I'm not sure it was worth all the work.
Live today, for tomorrow may never come

Offline Dutch-K5 Fan

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2008, 06:31:23 AM »

Aftermarket shock??  ?hlins, WP, Reiger, Kayaba and many more.

Dutchie
Proud owner of a KX500AF

Kev

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2008, 03:47:22 PM »
Thanks for the information Guys. 134mm, thanks Don46. That is what I thought but I had nobody to confirm it. I will heed your experience about whether it is worth the work or not. For now I'll just rebuild everything and see where I'm at. I appreciate all the input from everybody. I just finished up a hard day of riding and now I'm going to crawl between the sheets and saw some logs. Keep em roostin! 8-)
Kev

Kev

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2008, 04:38:58 AM »

Dutchie

Hey Dutchie, I wanted to ask you, how is the availability of hard parts in Europe for the 500? Unless I'm not looking in the right places the only things I can find here in the states is mostly what I call accessory type items, and very few of those. Your bike looks great. My next winters project is to restore mine so I need to start finding sources now. Thanks.
Kev

puffy

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2008, 08:44:28 AM »
I want you to build me the yz 250 front end that you have . :-D :-D How much would you charge for the triple clamps and other related parts Dutchy? I could get my wife to bake cookies plus money. :-D :-D Please

Offline Dutch-K5 Fan

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2008, 04:14:38 AM »

Dutchie

Hey Dutchie, I wanted to ask you, how is the availability of hard parts in Europe for the 500? Unless I'm not looking in the right places the only things I can find here in the states is mostly what I call accessory type items, and very few of those. Your bike looks great. My next winters project is to restore mine so I need to start finding sources now. Thanks.
Kev

Rear shocks, engine parts, plastic, frame parts are no problem. Special stuff is a lot more difficult. These frontforks are 04 yz model from ?hlins and new Kxf triple klamps, axle is selfmade inhouse.

Whats on your wishlist Kev ?? 8-)
Only problem is to ship your parts to the US,  ?1,- is $1.50 if I'm correct. And in europe you pay more ? than $ :x :x
KX500FREAK is also Dutch so he can help also, but let me know.

Dutchie

Proud owner of a KX500AF

Kev

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2008, 07:24:06 AM »
Thanks Dutchie, when I am ready I will PM you and we can discuss what are the best toys for the K5.

Ok, update time. My original problem with the bike sitting too low in the rear has been resolved. A previous owner had installed about a 35mm spacer between the seal head and the shock piston. It very effectively lowered the bike, but also drastically shortened the shock stroke. this 35mm spacer after being multiplied by the shock linkage resulted in a lower seat height by almost 65mm. Spacer is now gone and bike is at proper height :-D. Also at some point a person had taken the piston and shim stacks apart. I'm going to assume that the shim stack was changed. The stock piston was reused though. Now my problem is that when they ground away the peened lip to remove the nut, they really ground :-o. The rebound orifice also looks as though it has been hit with a reamer :?. It is huge. I installed a Race Tech gold valve and new shim stacks only to find that so much oil is bypassing back through the rebound passage during compression that I have no compression damping adjustment using the compression clicker. So now my rebound adjuster affects both rebound and compression and not proportionately. I recently picked up another shock off of ebay and hopefully it will not have met the same fate as my current shock. I'm still riding the bike. Having all the added suspension travel is great 8-). I am looking forward to having a properly assembled and functioning shock.  :-D :-D
Kev

Offline don46

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2008, 09:37:13 AM »
The hole in the shaft is quite large once the peening has been ground off, the metered portion is up inside the shaft. The tapered needle should prevent oil from blowing through, when you had it apart, did you tighten the rebound adjuster and see if it would stop the flow of oil? grinding shouldn't have doen anything to the rebound circuit, what might have happened, the nut down by the clevis could have been loosened and the clevis turned far enough that the needle won't seat, I've never seen this but know it is possible, my buddy thought he knew how to take one apart, and he looesened the nut and clevis and finally blowing out the spring and all the oil.
Live today, for tomorrow may never come