Author Topic: swingarm extensions broke  (Read 10076 times)

Offline BDI

Re: swingarm extensions broke
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2008, 04:37:20 PM »
I think part of the issue is the bolt up design, the bolt doesn't hold the material solid enough and will flex. If it was me I'd get a swingarm off Ebay, cut off the existing chain adjustment area, and machine the extensions to slide into the swingarm about 4-6" then you could bolt it or weld it and they'd be solid.

That's the only way I would do it other then building a whole new swing arm from scratch and having it heat treated. The fact of the matter is you are asking a piece of aluminum that is sized right to be an adjustment block to do twice the work of a normal length swingarm spare.I don't need a fancy computer program to tell me thats a bad idea, common sense will do just fine.
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2008, 04:57:09 AM »
Yeah, I agree BDI. The Cr's let you slip extensions into the swing arm because it is hollow at the end. The strongest way to make them for Kaws is a complete swing arm made from chromoly. I think you all would be shocked how inexpensive a custom set would be. It may be a little more than welding some off-set aluminum blocks together, but you will only have to buy chromoly swingarm once.
  Js, I doubt very seriously that an Ice dragger is putting more stress on a swingarm than a 4 cylinder nitro-methane burning hillclimber injected with nitrous on a pro hill with several jumps. I can't imagine a flat surface being more stressful than that.
  The thing about extensions that you need to keep in mind, that I think is being overlooked here is, a good set of stretchers are very adjustable. Depending on conditions, gearing and tread pattern, you will want to be able to make length adjustments for more or less hook-up. Usually guys have a slick set-up, dry set-up, jump set-up or drag race set-up. These may require different sprockets, length of swingarm, rear wheel and of course that all means length of chain. A good set of stretchers makes these changes quick and easy and you won't be stuck with just one set-up.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 09:45:00 AM by Hillclimb#42 »

Offline mg82

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2008, 11:29:15 AM »
i have seen tons of people run similar setups to this one without any issues for years. this is what i want now, only with two separate bolt holes. shorter for sand/dirt,  longer for the ice.

Offline don46

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2008, 11:30:26 AM »
Find an 89 swingarm off ebay, they are just like the Honda, the inserts will slide out and you can slide your extensions in, end of problem.

I would not use a set that relied on the existing adjuster pocket to hold the swingarm, I've seen lots of them as well, but that doesn't make them good, just easy, people tend to go easy.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 11:32:19 AM by don46 »
Live today, for tomorrow may never come

Offline mg82

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2008, 11:33:52 AM »
there are pictures of what the setup looked like on  my bike herehttp://www.kxriders.com/forums/index.php/topic,4098.0.html

Offline mg82

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2008, 11:37:33 AM »
roll the snail cam against the allen head to adjust your chain