Author Topic: Long Term Chain Care  (Read 4667 times)

Offline KXcam22

Long Term Chain Care
« on: February 18, 2008, 05:23:21 PM »
David, do you want to make this a sticky?

I thought I would document some chain care tips/advice for some of the newer members/riders.  These are not based on science but on experience, what has worked for me in the past 37 years of riding, and maybe a bit of Voodoo.  Being a Professinal Engineer I guess there might be a bit of science in it.  What prompted me to write this was when today, I took my 14 year old chain off my KX500 and put it on my brand new unriden CRF450, since it was better than the brand new stock chain.  I know it is an excellent brand O-ring chain, but I got to wondering if how I treated the chain those 14 years also contributed to its surprising life. So here goes.  I know that other will have there own beliefs and ritual.  Here's mine (Voodoo included):

I lube lots, generally at the end of the ride.  Typically before the chain cools down I use a wire brush to clean off the mung and then liberally lube the chain, spraying 4 streams, each one lap around the inside of the chain, covering the inner rollers and the gap between the plates where the o-ring is.  Then I put the bike away for the next ride.  I like to use a chain lube that collects dirt on the outside of the chain.  My present choice is the Belray clean. It's actually not that clean and goes on white but it does an excellent job of collecting dirt.  With some wire brushing, the white stuff kind of balls up and rolls off the chain taking the dirt with it and leaving a suprisingly clean chain.  I use Maxima clear on my CBR900RR.  Some say the wire brush is taboo with an o-ring chain.  I have wire brushed the Cr%@p out of the chain all those years and the o-rings still look pretty good.   Every few years I throw the chain in the parts washer and scrub off any built up grime.

Tips:

1.  Don't run your chain adjustment too tight.  When I first get a bike I compress the suspension and line up the axle, cs sprocket and swingarm pivot with a pole to put the chain at it's tightest spot, then adjust it to have a tiny amount of slack.  Once the suspension is relaxed then I mark the upper/lower range of the chain slack (usually on the airbox flap), making small grooves with a file. Then I forever know exactly how tight I can adjust the chain.

2. Avoid WD40.  I very rarely use WD40, maybe only a light spray to protect a washed chain from rusting, then wiped off.  WD40 is an excellent penetrant and solvent.  With those properties it can nicely penetrate the o-rings and wash out the lube. I know it does it to bearing so it must do something to chains.

3. Avoid pressure washing your chain.  As a bonus this also extends the life of suspension linkages.  I powerwash my bike maybe one or two times a year, garden hose and brush all the other times.

I hope this helps someone. Cam.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 05:25:52 PM by KXcam22 »

4x4max

Re: Long Term Chain Care
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 09:12:51 AM »
great information, thanks. My old chain snapped in the middle of a ride, so now i'm trying to get the best life out of my current chain. I have a non o-ring chain on my kx, but I would still like it to last at least a year. I don't ride much, but from what i've heard, big power bikes tear up chains, and i don't want it to happen to my chain. Any other pointers you can give that will help with keeping a non o-ring chain last a while?

Offline maddoggy

• K5 @ ST. ANTHONY DUNES
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 07:45:22 PM »
from my experience, non-oring chains wear out very fast due to a lack of protection from dirt entering the space between the link pin and the roller. this faster rate of wear results in a stretched chain which in turn results in your sprockets wearing out faster because the chain link length no longer matches the sprocket root length. if you want your sprockets to last then you need to invest in a o-ring chain. keeping your chain adjusted properly also cuts down on slap/snap stretching. seems like almost everyone i see runs their chain too tight and then wonders why their chain stretches out so fast. quality chain/sprocket combos are a significant investment, but if you want something dependable and want it to last you may want to check into buying yourself a sidewinder combo. wow, i have an info overload headache now.    MADDOGGY

Offline BDI

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 08:51:45 AM »
Running your chain to tight can take out your counter shaft bearing also.In one extreme case of over tight I have even seen it bend a swingarm on a cr500.The fact is that the tight chain wants to stop the swingarm from moving through its range of motion but only on one side, the end result can be a twisted swingarm. I like to put my bikes on a stand and remove the suspension linkage bolt so the swingarm and wheel can move free of the shock then I put something under the wheel to raise the wheel to the point that the counter shaft,swingarm pivot and rear axle all line up this will be the tightest point for the chain, then adjust the chain.
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!

Offline don46

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 10:56:43 AM »
Running your chain to tight can take out your counter shaft bearing also.In one extreme case of over tight I have even seen it bend a swingarm on a cr500.The fact is that the tight chain wants to stop the swingarm from moving through its range of motion but only on one side, the end result can be a twisted swingarm. I like to put my bikes on a stand and remove the suspension linkage bolt so the swingarm and wheel can move free of the shock then I put something under the wheel to raise the wheel to the point that the counter shaft,swingarm pivot and rear axle all line up this will be the tightest point for the chain, then adjust the chain.

Holy cow Brian, you take it to the extreme, me, I'm to lazy to go to all that work, I give it the three fingers and call it good. Your method is the truest form of accuaracy, that will be the tightest the chain should ever get, and get looser above and below that point.

Anybody remember the AMP link, that was supposed to change the pivot point and reduce the amount of pressure exerted on your rear suspension, Had one on an old YZ 490, but couldn't tell if it worked or not.

MADDOGGY, are you an engineer "sprocket root length" ? living in Sheridan, do you work out at the Coal Mines or the Railroad? I live in Billings.
Live today, for tomorrow may never come

Offline BDI

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2008, 12:18:31 PM »
It's only one bolt and the impact makes quick work of it. Once you have done it you can measure the slack and write it down in the journal you keep for that bike and you don't have to do it again. You do keep journals on your bikes don't you.  :lol: :lol: :lol:
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 03:58:25 PM by BDI »
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!

Offline maddoggy

• K5 @ ST. ANTHONY DUNES
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2008, 12:51:10 PM »
don46, no i am not an engineer. i do live in sheridan and i work as a mechanic at a coal mine in southern montana. i tend to use lingo that is above my education but i just can't help it. :-D  MADDOGGY

Offline 5dracing

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2008, 03:33:58 AM »
Did anyone see the new BMW GS 450. (I think that is the model). They moved the swingarm pivot over the countershaft sprocket, no more chain adjustment worries set the proper slack which could be zero and go.
The torch has been passed; Father to Son. He is faster!!!

4x4max

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2008, 04:10:56 AM »
I guess my opinion of the K5 eating ANY chain in a couple rides was incorrect. I'll get thath RK o-ring chain in a couple weeks! Hopefully my non o-ring doesnt snap like my old one did...that wasn't any fun...

Offline don46

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2008, 06:18:45 AM »
It's only one bolt and the impact makes quick work of it. Once you have done it you can measure the slack and write it down in the journal you keep for that bike and you don't have to do it again. You do keep journals on your bikes don't you.  :lol: :lol: :lol:

I do as a matter of fact keep documented records, primarily jetting, suspension valving changes, wheel offsets, gearing, but I must say I've never done the swingarm thing, I may have to try it, just to see.

don46, no i am not an engineer. i do live in sheridan and i work as a mechanic at a coal mine in southern montana. i tend to use lingo that is above my education but i just can't help it. :-D  MADDOGGY
I kinda thought it was something like that, I like the lingo, don't change, and you actually hit on it perfectly. I know a couple of guys that live in Sheridan and ride bikes. We've actually raced at you MX track a couple of times, cool layout but a little narrow
Live today, for tomorrow may never come

stewart

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2008, 06:32:48 AM »
i have had the same sidewinder chian and sprocket set on my 2oo1 kx 500 for 3 years i have dynoed probly 500 pulls rode in chat piles and mud lots and lots of times never had to adjust it

Offline maddoggy

• K5 @ ST. ANTHONY DUNES
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2008, 12:34:05 PM »
I guess my opinion of the K5 eating ANY chain in a couple rides was incorrect. I'll get thath RK o-ring chain in a couple weeks! Hopefully my non o-ring doesnt snap like my old one did...that wasn't any fun...

if you don't have a case saver on your bike, you may want to get one(they are cheap protection). a broken chain can destroy a case when it piles up in front of the front sprocket. just something to think about.  MADDOGGY

4x4max

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2008, 02:23:20 PM »
Where can i find a case saver?

Offline maddoggy

• K5 @ ST. ANTHONY DUNES
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2008, 08:14:47 AM »
4x4max, keep an eye on kx500 products on ebay. the case savers show up on there quite a bit. they usually cost between $5-$10. there are also different sizes depending on the tooth number of the front sprocket. most guys run a 14 or 15, some guys run a 13 but run into case rubbing problems. you could probably find a picture of one in the gallery section. if you're handy with the tools you could probably make one fairly easily.   8-)MADDOGGY