Author Topic: Jumping the KX 500  (Read 15838 times)

Offline bempa

Re: Jumping the KX 500
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2008, 09:01:35 AM »
Want to see some big jumps done with a K5, look at this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NN7D4phDKV0

KX Newfie

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2008, 12:12:02 PM »
not to be a dink but with 10+ years on a dirt bike and 5+ racing if youre riding at your own "private track" and are already hitting jumps that big why are you asking how and if a 500 will do it??? id hope by now youd just have the feel for jumps and be able to do them on any displacement bike with just a difference in the twist of the wrist and a few other minor details

just my .02

LOL !!! My man i can guarantee you i'm no stranger to goin big on a dirt bike. Displacement means very little to me,,,,now ergos, suspension etc does. I'd say the K5 is somewhat primitive in that department comaped to my 05 CRF 450 R.
You can best believe i will find out gradually, post up a few pics.
Thanks for the replies fellas.
Wicked site on da go  :-D

Offline BDI

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2008, 06:14:25 PM »
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!

KX Newfie

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2008, 11:49:35 PM »
LOL !!! That was a vid of a giant squid  :-o

Interesting just the same  :-D

Offline SMPKX500

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2008, 03:01:32 PM »

Displacement means very little to me,,,,now ergos, suspension etc does. I'd say the K5 is somewhat primitive in that department comaped to my 05 CRF 450 R.

You take a open class monster man bike to a little supercross style track and ask how it will fair?
Not to well for you when you "blip" your throttle on the face of a table. Not advised.......

Take the 500 out where it can run and see how the baby 450 will handle it. Riding a Five o on a small track is like racing a big block in a parking lot.
500cc Thumper Smackdown!

KX Newfie

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2008, 10:44:58 PM »
I have had 2 Brand New K5's in the past 10 years. Then i got into MX. I know they are powerful straight line bikes, & not bad for moderate terrain.
I'd just like to have a go at my track that's all.....& it isn't a supercross track....it is a MX track.
I'll find out soon enough.....soon as the snow goes  :x

I can also tell you that a modern 450 MX bike is nothing to sneeze at either  :-o

Offline TheGDog

« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2008, 03:58:34 AM »
Nothing to sneeze at, certainly.... but a modern 450 MX bike can still be easily taught a lesson in humility by your standard run-of-the-mill 250cc 2-stroke production MX machine.

Against a K5... it'd be a total spankin!  (As long as the K5 rider knows how to keep traction)

The only difference that would turn the tables would be that a very tight supercross style track would give an advantage in handling to the 450.  But that could be easily overcome by a savvy rider making line choices that favor a K5 powerband.
'97 PC800 + '96 KX 500 + '90 KDX 200 + 2000 XR50R (for the lil guy!)

Offline Kawasakinut

• s#@t plus two equals eight
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2008, 02:41:18 PM »
Nothing to sneeze at, certainly.... but a modern 450 MX bike can still be easily taught a lesson in humility by your standard run-of-the-mill 250cc 2-stroke production MX machine.

Against a K5... it'd be a total spankin!  (As long as the K5 rider knows how to keep traction)

The only difference that would turn the tables would be that a very tight supercross style track would give an advantage in handling to the 450.  But that could be easily overcome by a savvy rider making line choices that favor a K5 powerband.
g dog i agree that a savy 250 rider can spank a 450. i believe 10% bike 90% rider. i remember when i bought my brand new 1999 kx 125 and took it to this guys private member track. well i let him take a spin a couple times and i was in awe of how fast he could make my bike go compared to my newbie self. forget about suspension and braking. i believe its all about throttle. if ur willing to give it more longer u will win on almost any ride.  everyone talks of the hookup of the fourstroke verses the two stroke thats were the clutch control and throttle control of a well versed rider can play a big role in the outcome. just because you go to the track with a shiney new bike and new riding gear doesn't make you an expert rider. 
« Last Edit: March 12, 2008, 03:38:11 PM by Kawasakinut »
htpp://www.youtube.com/jimvpa

Offline bigbellybob

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2008, 06:17:42 AM »
I believe a k5 is an extremly fast bike but I dont feel with and equal rider on a modern 450 and a kx500 the k5 would have a chance in hell on a mx track.  A modern 450 has 20 years of innovation in them i mean a modern 450 will break better, its lighter, far mor nimble, go thru woops better, jump better/farthur/faster i mean the whole susspenion is lightyears ahead, and on a track might even accelerate better...its not all about how much hp a 500 makes.....the new 450s power goes straight to the ground and not with wheelspin the power dilivery is phenominal and very easy to control and put to use.

you must be smoking something because a 450 is anything but light. and most have very peaky power curve and don't like to be chugged. + they stall easily in corners
long live the 2 stroke
« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 06:23:02 AM by bigbellybob »
IF RIDING IS OUTLAWED ONLY OUTLAWS WILL RIDE

sponsor
http://www.steelmx.com/

Offline KX500freak

• KX500 - Have a Wheelie good weekend
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2008, 06:30:01 AM »
my race partner in saison 06 rode crf 450
he could keep traction due to the softer powerband on 450,

but like someone said if you can keep traction with the holy K5
no one i say no one would keep up with that bomb,

and kx500 design is timeless
crf,s come and go :-D
Dutch Team Green 91-94-01 KX500

Offline Kawasakinut

« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2008, 07:40:25 AM »
             i bet if they came out with an eight stroke many people would jump on that bandwagon too. i am not falling for this. the rider makes the bike plain and simple.    
« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 07:43:37 AM by Kawasakinut »

Offline bigbellybob

« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2008, 08:52:32 AM »
             i bet if they came out with an eight stroke many people would jump on that bandwagon too. i am not falling for this. the rider makes the bike plain and simple.    

man i bet that would get killer traction. :-D :roll:

here is the equation
less power for x cc's = more traction
« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 08:55:39 AM by bigbellybob »

sponsor

Offline Kawasakinut

« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2008, 10:19:38 AM »
   when i get my kx 250 together here shortly first thing i'm going to do is go to the track and whoop some 450 a@#!! maybe even shoot some video for the site as proof of my hypothesis!!! lol

Offline SMPKX500

« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2008, 02:19:40 PM »
A four will never equal the power to weight of a two plane and simple. Thats why it takes 450cc four to run with a 250 two. Thats just the way it is.
I would like to see the AMA allow 450cc for the two strokes. What do you think would happen then?
Well its obvious. The four stroke will get killed every thing else equal.

Its true that the new bikes offer great brakes and suspension out of the box. However be realistic and realize that the rider is 90% and that a pro will whip your 450s tail on a bitty 125 if so desired.

The two stroke offers greater reliability, ease of maintenance and ultimately lower operational cost as well. 

Don't be fooled by all the hype of the four strokes.
500cc Thumper Smackdown!

Offline bigbellybob

« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2008, 03:06:40 PM »
kayx250 do you really think the 450 is light?

Have you ever riden a new 450? I rode a 2008 kx450 when I first got my kx 250 bored, ported and all that stuff which supposedily netted me over 50rwhp and let me tell you that kx450 scared me.
The power came on easy and just keep going on FOREVER without fail

you better rethink that 250/500 if your scared of a 450.

sponsor