Author Topic: Just picked up an '03 KX500...any must haves?  (Read 3633 times)

HULKSTER

Just picked up an '03 KX500...any must haves?
« on: September 30, 2003, 12:07:31 AM »
Just picked up an '03 KX500...are there any must haves I should consider? I was reading that the Moose reed spacer is a great 20 bucks to spend (just for the easier starting itself).

Its got a new Maxxis rear tire on it...besides that and the graphics kit it is stock.

Anything else?

Offline alan

• Administrator
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2003, 02:49:31 AM »
YEP! The Spacer is the best and cheapest thing you can do for your KX5! The spacer along with a good pipe will make an incredible difference! I haven't fouled a plug since I installed the spacer! :D

Alan :D
Sand - Dirt - Dunes = Fun
       04- 700V - 01- KX500
        08 TeryX 2012 KX450F

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2003, 03:43:56 AM »
The suspension on that thing. My '01 was way under sprung in the front with way to stiff valving and the back was over sprung with way soft valving. Made for an interesting ride to say the least.

My list (in ascending price order :lol: )
  • Reed Spacer
  • Air Filter
  • Bash Plate
  • Good tires (front and rear)
  • FMF Gnarly / Fatty
  • Suspension (ATLEAST the correct springs)
  • Scott's dampner (kit with triple clamp/dampner/Pro Tapers)
  • [/list:u]
    Those are my minimums, I race so there are other things like trued / balanced rotating assembly, frame gusseting, dumpin' that d@mn 19" rear rim, etc...

Sharc

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2003, 06:24:50 AM »
Also IMS 3.2 gallon tank (or check out the Ty Davis tank/pipe/shrouds kit) and a 10oz flywheel weight. SUPER EZ starting and great low speed pull...same great shrieking top end...

teamgreen500

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2003, 12:45:03 PM »
See my intro at new members...I can't say enough about the P/C suspension. I've heard nothing but Praise about ACME, also. Heck, if you can find him, Jake Thompson (Formerly of SHOWA), is one of the best.

A good skid-plate can save you a bunch of Dollars.

Pro-tapers and barbusters=the last $ you'll spend on handlebars.

Stock silencer with a Sparky makes the best power...PERIOD! Quiet, too...Go figure?

Tires? I'm floored by the preformance of a 120/90-19 Kenda "Carlsbad"!  Up front, I've got a sleeper that's cheaper...IRC VE32...no $hit...they last forever and work good everywhere! In the more forgiving and "Tackier" terrain...those Michelin S-12s are SCARRY! Wheelie Time!

I really like my IMS...Hey, get your hands off...go buy your OWN! Jeeeeze!
Quick-fill, baby!
BTW, Rick, if you need to borrow for the kid...just ask! UPS is real easy!
The Ty Davis low-boy set-up is kinda cool, also! Protect that pipe!

O-ring and a steel rear sprocket are real $ savers. Don't get sucked in to the "Lighter is cooler" mentality...although, I gots plenty of Al. and Ti nuts and bolts because I need counseling..hehehehehehe!

Stock seat foam is the inverse of a KTM...TOO SOFT..and the cover will tear with your first "Oh s**t" flexxing of the Buttocks...Black is the color for "Real-Men"..."Real-Women", too...I got ya covered Rhino!

Use some good measuring tools and make sure your rear wheel allignment marks are honest.

Don't get sucked into a bunch of power mod's. Good jetting, good oil+gas, clean filter and a good exhaust make for a NASA quality ride!

Welcome to the INSANITY of THRUST!

Manny

kawdude

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2003, 02:53:10 PM »
Why does the reed spacer effect starting?

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2003, 03:00:24 PM »
It backs the reed tips up and out of the turbulent area between the transfer ports. Smoother air transition = better atomization of the fuel and air and this young grasshoppa is what providers for easier starting :D

Atleast that is the theory behind it :lol: