Author Topic: First Top End rebuild - Need advice - Pics included  (Read 10323 times)

stewart

Re: First Top End rebuild - Need advice - Pics included
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2008, 11:21:27 AM »
i would not hone it with anything but the brush set up  that wiesco  sells for  plated cylinders

Offline Jeeks

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2008, 11:37:45 AM »
I liberally spray WD-40 in the cylinder then use a Snap-On ball hone in a cordless drill on high speed.  Move the drill up and down pretty fast to create about a 30-35 degree cross hatch.  Only hone for 10-15 seconds to remove any glazing, scoring or metal transfer.  Been doing it for years, never a problem.

BTW -  that was a basket case engine I rebuilt. Here's the details.  http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=594486
2000 KX250 x2
1975 Z1-900

Offline BDI

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2008, 11:54:29 AM »
What's your piston to cylinder clearance? looking at the third picture It looks excessive. Are you sure the plating is not worn threw that aluminum colored spot shows up in all your pictures :|
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 02:53:16 AM by BDI »
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!

Offline Jeeks

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2008, 12:45:02 PM »
What's your piston to cylinder clearance? looking at the third picture It looks excessive. Are you sure the plating is not worn threw that aluminum colored spot shows up in all your pistures :|

lol - no dude.  This wasn't my first engine rebuild.  lol
2000 KX250 x2
1975 Z1-900

Offline BDI

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2008, 12:48:01 PM »
LOL-Ok it just looks funny in the picture I guess. I have rebuilt one or two motors myself. LOL
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 01:21:50 PM by BDI »

Offline joker_fly

« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2008, 06:13:31 PM »
Im doing a topend rebuild also, but o cant figure out if i got an twisted actuator out off the kips assembly like the one in the pic. Does any one have a pic on where it belongs ?

Offline Jeeks

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2008, 01:06:11 AM »
That pic was only to show how good the gasket remover works on decarbonizing.  That's a 250 KIPS.
2000 KX250 x2
1975 Z1-900

Offline BDI

« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2008, 03:29:12 PM »
i would not hone it with anything but the brush set up  that wiesco  sells for  plated cylinders

Hey Stewart why wouldn't you use a ball hone?

stewart

« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2008, 03:36:58 PM »
its been my opion that the size or diameter of the bore and proper piston clearance is not achived by using a ball hone  and if those sizes are right bore dia . striaght ness .etc..... the cylinder that his been plated makes better power the more its been run and  and deglassing it did not improve the power on a plated cylinder

Offline Kawasakinut

• s#@t plus two equals eight
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2008, 04:04:54 PM »
Im doing a topend rebuild also, but o cant figure out if i got an twisted actuator out off the kips assembly like the one in the pic. Does any one have a pic on where it belongs ?

i've got the same question about the twisted piece? w.t.h.d.t.c.f "where the heck did that come from"? i could of sworn i followed my service manual instructions.
htpp://www.youtube.com/jimvpa

Offline Kawasakinut

« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2008, 04:10:34 PM »
its been my opion that the size or diameter of the bore and proper piston clearance is not achived by using a ball hone  and if those sizes are right bore dia . striaght ness .etc..... the cylinder that his been plated makes better power the more its been run and  and deglassing it did not improve the power on a plated cylinder
stewart i thought the ball hone was used to make the cross hack in the cylinder which makes for even oil flow throughout the cylinder. i'm not sure about the performance aspect. the ball hone takes nothing away from the cylinder just creates peaks and valleys. ok takes a little (mi-nute amount).   

Offline Jeeks

« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2008, 01:57:05 AM »
BTW: This only pertains to the KX250 NOT 500!  Didn't intend to hi-jack the thread. :wink:

The piece that looks like a twisted gear is the Main Valve Rod.  Look on the front of your cylinder for a little cap that looks like a number '8', it has a phillips screw holding it in.  The end of the rod has a notch cut in it, that notch will be toward the front of the engine when installed.
2000 KX250 x2
1975 Z1-900

Offline Jeeks

« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2008, 02:01:58 AM »

I don't use the hone to adjust the cylinder size in any way.  I like to have a clean surface for the new rings to seat to without any wear from the previous piston.  Just like sanding down a shaft when you install a new seal.
2000 KX250 x2
1975 Z1-900

stewart

« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2008, 03:11:20 AM »
i think honeing to a size for proper clearnce and cross hatch is essentiol  for 2 or four stroke...i think deglazing the bore on a nonplated  cylinder is fine 2 or 4 stroke  they look nice ...  but on a plated 2 stroke bore i  found more power in the cylinder the longer i ran it with just changing pistons and rings  no deglazing the where the  bore size was right on size ....wiesco siad they sold a  diamond whip type brush for 2 stroke deglaze .. but were not to big on ballbrushing  ..i belive the plating laps to  a better seal after more run time ...ps i used to work directly with sunnen  hone  company on new  engine  cylinder manufacture  for cessnea aircraft  and was a counsltant for some major rebuilders on honing
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 03:18:09 AM by stewart »

Offline Kawasakinut

« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2008, 03:15:44 AM »
stewart now i don't know what i want to do on my cylinder! yicks i'ma cornfused :| :| :|.