Author Topic: motorcycle industry : how to get a foot in the door  (Read 2005 times)

Offline Kawasakinut

• s#@t plus two equals eight
motorcycle industry : how to get a foot in the door
« on: January 26, 2008, 02:52:04 AM »
well I'm writing this post to see if anyone has any ideas of what college majors line up with jobs in the motorcycle industry. i recently attended mmi (motorcycle mechanics institute) in Arizona and found out that i would not want to be a shop tech as far as the money standpoint, but i am certain that i love motorcycles mostly offroad stuff. I'm shooting for a bigger goal, like working for magazines like dirt rider, or working for an aftermarket performance company (company rep). does anyone know what kind of degrees and what kind of positions they employ. i just started college and i am enrolled for pre nursing courses. although that is a stable field as far as career opportunities I'm not sure I'll be totally content with that career field. the money would provide a means to buy parts for my green beast. I've done a lot of things with my life as far as work is concerned. army 9 years(good money) steelworker 2 years(great money) -student for the last 1 year(GI bill) . but I'm never totally satisfied. if anyone has any ideas I'm more than willing to listen thanks.  Jimmy V.             
« Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 03:23:06 PM by jimvpa »
htpp://www.youtube.com/jimvpa

Offline The Flyin Hawaiian

Re: how to get a career in the motorcycle industry
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 01:09:31 PM »
The guys that I know that are reps usually started out working at a dealership in the parts dept. The parts guys seem to make all the connections with the right people. If you want to work for a magazine, Im sure some writing skills will come into play. The more well known writers, Tom Webb, Paul Clipper, Rick Sieman etc. all have a certain flair or style. A few years ago I had the opportunity to work for Husqvarna, I live close to the North American headquarters, I would have started in the parts dept and hopefully worked my way up. I dont really like my career path and would like to work as a rep for a major motorcycle manufacturer also. I just couldnt take the pay cut. And, they ended up laying off a bunch of people later on. Your MMI background could be of help.
A couple of 03 and 04 KXs, a few YZs, 3 PE 400s, a DR and a TS.

Offline 5dracing

Re: motorcycle industry : how to get a foot in the door
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 08:38:46 AM »
I know a local guy from Berwick Pa that is working for Scott Goggle (John Knowles). He started part time I believe. He is now at most all races and prepares the goggles for alot of the top riders. He got to know some people at Scott through sponsors that came to races at Evansville and worked his way in from there.
The torch has been passed; Father to Son. He is faster!!!

Offline 5dracing

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 07:22:51 AM »
My son and I are there nearly every motocross event they have as long as we're healthy. Son broke his arm there last year. I love the motocross track its fairly open and the 500 can start to breathe. Great uphill / downhill section around 65deg slope and 70 yards long. 3rd gear pinned on the 500 going up it and no one wants to be behind me. You make a 180 at the top and jump back down it. They were talking about changing the moto track for this year. I just hope they don't make it like a daytime supercross. I don't need air time unless I'm in my plane.

Offline 5dracing

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 12:21:54 AM »
I've made that trip many times it's about 4 1/2 hours. This is an AMA District 6 track. Best way to get here would be north out of Pittsburgh on 28 to 80. there's alot of quality tracks in your District which is District 5. I would also recommend riding Doublin Gap at least once. It has some real technical sections but some wfo sections with jumps. Pretty cool track. It's in Shippensburg/Chambersburg area.   

Offline Kawasakinut

• s#@t plus two equals eight
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2008, 10:22:36 AM »
well i went to the local supermarket (the one with  the best moto mag selection) and i picked up racer x and motocross action. well mxa had a story titled join the motocross industry: a step by step guide to success now they are speaking my language  :-D :-D :-D.
htpp://www.youtube.com/jimvpa