Author Topic: gas oil mix  (Read 1900 times)

ilovemybike

gas oil mix
« on: January 22, 2008, 04:20:18 AM »
Hey i just got my 87 kx500 sunday and i had to buy some 2 cycle oil at an ace hardware (the only place around where the seller lives). so the question is should i finish off the bottle, or switch to the yamalube semi synthetic??? i dont know what kind of oil he used when he had the bike, but from what ive read on here is to use one oil and not switch is this true?? any info would be great!!!
Thanks
Dane

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
Re: gas oil mix
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 07:05:11 AM »
I like to stick with what I know works for me.  I just bought a CR500 ('97) to go with the KX500 ('04).  The guy was running castor oil, the kind that smells like the gas we ran in our model airplanes.  I'm going to finish running the gas that's in it, then I will remove the tank and pour in about 2 cups of my gas to rinse out any remaining old gas.  Then I will run the Bel-Ray synthetic oil mixed at 40:1.
KX 500 Rider

ilovemybike

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 11:03:10 AM »
yeah once what is gone in my tank now i will clean it and pull the card and air filter and clean everything, what should i use to clean the air filter??? gas?? i appreciate the info!!

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 12:38:38 AM »
Hey i just got my 87 kx500 sunday and i had to buy some 2 cycle oil at an ace hardware (the only place around where the seller lives). so the question is should i finish off the bottle, or switch to the yamalube semi synthetic??? i dont know what kind of oil he used when he had the bike, but from what ive read on here is to use one oil and not switch is this true?? any info would be great!!!
Thanks
Dane

Yamalube 2-R is one of the best oils you can run in a 2-stroke engine. I ran 32:1 in my 500 with great results. Piston/rings and power valves were spotless every time I torn the top end down. But everybody has strong opinions about the oil they use. Currently running Yamalube 2-R in my 05 YZ250 and I'm getting the same results.
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com