Author Topic: help, replacement exhaust valves.  (Read 1929 times)

oldKXscrapper

help, replacement exhaust valves.
« on: January 16, 2008, 08:39:19 AM »
right......................
i need a replacement exhaust valve for an 87 kx500....
i have 2 questions, are both valves the same or are they handed?
also will the later kx valves fit an 87 engine? or maybe even are kx250 ones the same?
i know im a pain with all the questions, im just trying to improve my chances of sourcing one.....

Offline don46

Re: help, replacement exhaust valves.
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 10:10:35 AM »
newer ones will not fit, the 86-88 valves have been discontinued. I was looking for a set for a 88 cylinder I was working on, only to find that I couldn't get them. don't know if they are the same as 250, I'd doubt it. I contemplated machining a aluminum shaft and driving it into the valve hole, then cleaning out the port, I knew I'd lose bottom end, but I had other mods that enhanced the motor so I wasn't concerned. I thne found a cylinder on ebay and it had good valves, I'd say that woulod be your best shot.
Live today, for tomorrow may never come

oldKXscrapper

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 12:25:56 PM »
my mate rekons he can make one on the lathe, most of it looks easy if you know what your doing, and he does to be fair, im just not convinced the gear part can be made easily.
if anybody has any ides what i might be able to steal one out of that will either fit or is maybe oversize but could be machined down then let me know because after a ring around its not looking like im going to find one to easily.

dcon

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2008, 05:59:51 PM »
I have an 88 kx500 and just went through the same ordeal about 3 months ago. I found a replacement from an '87 model on ebay and it wasn't cheap :cry:.  The valves are identical they work in either side, and Like don46 said the valves have been discontinued. My dad said it would be easy to make one too... The only catch is getting the right gear cutter.  :-( As far as the gear cutter goes I forgot what the specs were but the price was about $130.00 for one that fit dads milling machine. I wonder how much of a market there is for these exhaust valves... might be worth the investment to buy the cutter!

Offline dnmac1999

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2008, 04:36:55 AM »
Im sure you could get enough interest on hee to more then pay for the cutter. I for one would be interested in a couple pairs if they have been discontinued.