Author Topic: Your Winterizing Techniques for fuel systems?  (Read 5059 times)

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
Your Winterizing Techniques for fuel systems?
« on: December 24, 2007, 01:34:18 AM »
 I may be like the majority of you guys, looking at my kx's and wishing there was no winter. They are being totally abused just waiting for some warmer temps to hit the midwest, so I can go out get some stress relief and kill the Cabin Fever.
 When looking at my bike and thinking about the chances of the Cam2 fuel in there seperating out, I wonder if it is messing up the carbs. Usually with normal pump gas, I just make sure there is a full tank of gas, but I'm not sure of the longevity of Cam2. So how do the Kawasaki experts of the world prep the beasts for the much too long rest of winter, so when it does warm up, there is no issues?
 Empty completely, dissasemble, do nothing, park in living room, what do you guys do to winterize?

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
Re: Your Winterizing Techniques for fuel systems?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2007, 03:06:59 AM »
In Oklahoma the weather changes so fast from 1 day to the next.  I ride all year round.  4 days ago it was 31 degrees and freezing rain.   Today it's going to be 63, time to ride.
KX 500 Rider

Offline Platypus

• Platypus Racing
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2007, 05:22:48 AM »
I would recommend draining the fuel completely.  I have also read that you should remove the spark plug and put a few drops of motor oil into the cylinder.  I have seen tooooooooo many people come out riding after their bikes sat with gas in them for a while and they would not start even after draining the old gas and filling up with new.  Usually required taking the carb apart and cleaning it.  Just happened a couple weeks to a my friends wife CRF230 and it's not even premixed gas.  Seriously I see this happen at least three times a year.  So much easier to just drain that gas.  I drain mine after every ride just in case I don't get the chance to go back out soon.  I just put the extra gas in my truck.

Offline bigbellybob

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2007, 06:43:09 AM »
have you tried putting it in the back of the truck and moving some ware with year round riding. if that dont work i like the idea of putting it in the living room. maybe snuggle up with it next to the fire.
IF RIDING IS OUTLAWED ONLY OUTLAWS WILL RIDE

sponsor
http://www.steelmx.com/

Offline don46

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2007, 07:50:11 AM »
I typically run the carbs out of gas, the only time I've ever had problems was in a snowmobile, I used "stabil" come fall I had to pull the carbs apart, they were full of junk. 

If the CAM 2 is like the VP ultimate 4, you want to get it out, otherwise be prepared to spend some time.
Live today, for tomorrow may never come

Desert Panther

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2007, 08:13:08 PM »
I would recommend draining the fuel completely.  I have also read that you should remove the spark plug and put a few drops of motor oil into the cylinder.  I have seen tooooooooo many people come out riding after their bikes sat with gas in them for a while and they would not start even after draining the old gas and filling up with new.  Usually required taking the carb apart and cleaning it.  Just happened a couple weeks to a my friends wife CRF230 and it's not even premixed gas.  Seriously I see this happen at least three times a year.  So much easier to just drain that gas.  I drain mine after every ride just in case I don't get the chance to go back out soon.  I just put the extra gas in my truck.

you pour pre-mix into your truck???  LMAO  :-D  How's the catalytic convertor like that? Or is it an old truck?

Offline Platypus

• Platypus Racing
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2007, 05:53:30 PM »

you pour pre-mix into your truck???  LMAO  :-D  How's the catalytic convertor like that? Or is it an old truck?

Well I got 210k hard miles out of my last truck before I sold it and I put 96k on my current truck in 3 years so they both like 2-stroke I guess.

Offline don46

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2007, 06:11:18 AM »
Who cares, it's wayy to cold to ride :-D :-D :-D, I don't even like to ride my snomobile when it gets that cold, I've become a fair weather rider, everything has to be just right.
Live today, for tomorrow may never come

steve1965

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2007, 06:07:15 PM »
Well the way to winterize my bike is to ride the hell out of it (live in Buckeye AZ). It is the best time of the year out here. So I would have to say summarizing it is the thing here gets a bit on the hot side and is hard to ride allot. I drain the carb and put stabul in the tank and do not seem to have any problems. Hope you find a place to ride it would really be bad if I could not ride when I wanted to.

Offline BDI

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2007, 06:52:26 PM »
I let the gas go real bad then when I'm ready to ride I drain the tank and clean the carb put in some fresh fuel and go ride. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :-D :-D
« Last Edit: December 29, 2007, 03:47:55 AM by BDI »
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2007, 02:55:57 PM »
I know that everyone will have their own view on winterizing, but here is what I do.  I was skiing today and going snowmobiling tonight so I definitely live in a "winter" area, although there is only a couple feet of snow in the yard.  Years ago I got tired of winterizing. I have too many engines to deal with, lawnmower, leafblower, weedwacker, 2 outboards, chainsaw, ski-boat, streetbike, 5 dirtbikes, etc.  Now I leave the gas in and use a fuel stabilizer.  Been doing this for more than 10years with excellent results.  It must work.  I can pull out my chainsaw that's been sitting on the shelf for a few years and get it started easily.  Being the excessive type that I am, I use double the amount they recommend.  Hope this helps. Cam.

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2008, 09:16:26 AM »
I am so stoked...... Heat wave hits the midwest..... Ying, Ying, Ying, waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!! Oh yeah, its time to fling some sand. I can't wait. I haven't got the Stabul yet. I think I'll just go rip 'em all day and freshen the gas up a little. Bye bye Cabin fever. Its my form of meditation...... and I am waaaay over due.

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2008, 01:24:57 PM »
Yea man, getting the KLR out for the bar crawl.  50 deg. tonight.  Time to throw back a few Buds.
KX 500 Rider

Offline BDI

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2008, 01:59:49 PM »
Yea man, getting the KLR out for the bar crawl.  50 deg. tonight.  Time to throw back a few Buds.

Promoting responsible motorcycling are we :-D The last time I did some drinking and riding Im told I was doing weelies up and down the street sitting on the handlebars without so much as a helmet on. The wife thought that was the coolest thing ever,  NOT!!!!. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!