Author Topic: Lighting Again...  (Read 8123 times)

Offline BDI

Re: Lighting Again...
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2007, 10:37:28 AM »
you will also need a battery to run HID. In my opinion the best way to go about putting a light on the K5 would be to use the ignition setup from service honda that's assuming that it is availabe and assuming that the lighting coil puts out the same 130 watts that their cr500 set up does. Pair that up with a battery and an HID head light from Baja Designes and you would have the best possible light set you could have in my opinion. as for the moose coil the out put is not enough to run HID according to Baja Designes.
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!

Offline apple

• Desertriding.com
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2007, 05:17:59 AM »
Been looking for a good lighting setup also, Electrosport says they have something better in the works but couldn`t tell me when it might be available. Interesting that they are calling their KX500 lighting coil a 40 watter now. When I called E-line they said they don`t make anything for the KX500 anymore. It ain`t easy. Looks like we either get creative of we are S.O.L.
2000 KX500

Desert Panther

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2007, 07:12:42 AM »
Been looking for a good lighting setup also, Electrosport says they have something better in the works but couldn`t tell me when it might be available. Interesting that they are calling their KX500 lighting coil a 40 watter now. When I called E-line they said they don`t make anything for the KX500 anymore. It ain`t easy. Looks like we either get creative of we are S.O.L.

I thought Danger4u2 just got a set-up from E-Line?????  I will soon need to be ordering something for my bike, so i need to know.

Offline apple

• Desertriding.com
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2007, 09:58:47 AM »
I found an E-line at Steahly, but that after I called eline and was told no more lighting coil. I could be a victim of I don`t give a sh$$-ism of the first person who answered the phone. Wouldn`t be the first time
2000 KX500

Offline BDI

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2007, 11:40:34 AM »
I could be a victim of I don`t give a sh$$-ism of the first person who answered the phone.

If you called E-line that is most likely. Rarely have I delt with a more incompetent and frustrating company. After I delt with them I fully intended to machine E-line sucks on the cover of my coil It was only my own lazyness that kept me from doing it.

arleybeer40

« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2007, 06:45:09 PM »
I just cheked there websites. It shows they still make them for a K5

Offline The Flyin Hawaiian

« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2007, 07:23:24 AM »
Ive never had a problem with E Line. Ive been dealing with them for years and they have been great. I even had a problem with a YZ426 coil that was machined wrong and they overnighted a new one to me and paid the shipping. Ive had 4 or 5 bikes with their coils and they have been the most reliable lighting systems Ive ever had. I had an Electrex coil on my 426 and had nothing but problems with it. What problems did you have with them?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2007, 07:24:55 AM by The Flyin Hawaiian »
A couple of 03 and 04 KXs, a few YZs, 3 PE 400s, a DR and a TS.

« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2007, 07:30:40 AM »
Anybody try Baja Designs?

Offline BDI

« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2007, 08:26:57 AM »
I had to send my coil back because the mag rubbed the stator this caused the coil to short and It stoped putting out the power It should. I had to argue with E-lines tech who kept telling me that the coil tested good with his ohm meter he couldn't grasp the concept that If there was continuity between the power wires coming out of the coil and the aluminum case that housed the coil  It has a internal short. After they had It for a month and talking to every tech they have and trying to explain that continuity between the power wires and ground (A.K.A. the case) was bad I had to get pissed off and tell them to stick a new coil In It regardless of what they thought. Funny thing when I got the coil back It did not have continuity between the power wires and the case anymore and It was back to putting out the power It should after I ordered a new magnetic puck from baja Designes because e-line turned mine down on a lathe to make sure It would not rub again even though I asked them not to do that and explained That It rubbed because my crank was out of true.

« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2007, 01:59:49 AM »
Wow, Im really surprised at how they treated you! They have always been very helpful and profesional with me on the phone. Maybe you caught someone on a bad day, thats still no excuse to treat you like they did.

Offline demographic

« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2007, 04:30:46 AM »
After looking for something else today  I turned up THIS page...

Which has this picture on it...

Which doesn't look far off this picture taken from the Ebay bike on the "Anyone Seen This" thread...

I wonder if that would produce the right kind of power for a decent lighting circuit?

Desert Panther

« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2007, 08:03:40 PM »
that page was a bit confusing, or maybe its the holiday adult beverages i have consumed, but .............looks like it's 568 dollars plus 148 for that rotor piece? over 700 bucks versus 459 for the E-Line  :-o

Offline demographic

« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2007, 09:50:34 PM »
that page was a bit confusing, or maybe its the holiday adult beverages i have consumed, but .............looks like it's 568 dollars plus 148 for that rotor piece? over 700 bucks versus 459 for the E-Line  :-o

Indeed, it does look like a hell of a lot of money.

I wouldn't be forking out that kind of cash, thats for sure.

Every once in a while things turn up on Ebay and if it does it could be worth a snipe.