Author Topic: Winter project  (Read 4095 times)

Offline don46

Winter project
« on: October 07, 2007, 11:01:22 AM »
I had planned on doing a aluminum framed 500 this winter, so I've been gathering all the parts I was going to need. I realized I had all the parts and decided I'd start my winter project, next thing I knew, it was done. It took a couple of weeks only working on it some evenings and weekends.

I'd like to give a shout to AJ and Service Honda for the pipe, it wasn't a direct bolt on, but sure was alot easier than modifying a KX pipe. My impression of the pipe, it seems to have more bottom end than the Pro Circuit, either the modified Honda or the K5 pipe, but then that has been my impression all along FMF= bottom end PC= mid top end.

Anyways heres a pic.
Live today, for tomorrow may never come

Offline cyclepsych0

Re: Winter project
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2007, 11:17:09 AM »
 Lookin' good!! How does this conversion rank compared to your others as far as difficulty goes? Are the 250 2-stroke still the easiest? (Never mind the aluminum vs. steel frames) I was just curious as to how the 500 mill fits into this frame. Less amount of fab work or more?
 Again, great job! I'd love to see more photos if you've got 'em!

Offline Arigato

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2007, 12:18:03 PM »
Awesome!  What bike did you start with 250 or 450?

Offline don46

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2007, 02:43:58 PM »
Lookin' good!! How does this conversion rank compared to your others as far as difficulty goes? Are the 250 2-stroke still the easiest? (Never mind the aluminum vs. steel frames) I was just curious as to how the 500 mill fits into this frame. Less amount of fab work or more?
 Again, great job! I'd love to see more photos if you've got 'em!

I can only speak for the 99-02 250 chassis, I'm not sure about the newer bikes, The 250 2 stroke chasiss is probably the easiest to fit the motor into, the swingarm mod is kind of a pain, but the airbox works. The 4 stroke chassis, the swingarm fits (after drilling the back motor mount to 17mm) but, the down tube has to be totally modified to accept the 2 stroke motor, the airboot needs to be changed (the stock 4 stroke air boot is too restrictive IMO) I use the 99-02 complete air tract. So to answer your question they all have their issues, I guess it depends on what you want to deal with (I hate the airbox mod, its a real pain) they all have the quirks. I still maintain that I could do a 250 2 stroke in a weekend with not much trouble.

Arigato,

this is a 450 chassis, I think a 250f chassis would'nt be to much more trouble.

There is so much room in the engine compartment, even more than the 500 chassis. The thing rolls so free, I don't know why but it is noticeable.

Offline cyclepsych0

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2007, 03:01:51 PM »
 I kinda figured on the down tube. The 500's center exit exhaust needs to comeout somewhere. :-D.
 Interesting though, that the swingarm doesn't need narrowing like the 250's. Are the rear mounts of each engine the same width? Or does the 500 motor actually require shimming/spacing to take up the gap? Is the 450 pivot shaft 17mm like the newer 250's? Or larger yet?  450 or 500 radiators?

Sorry for the rambling questions. These kinds of projects get me all worked up!! :-o :-o

Offline don46

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2007, 09:55:22 AM »
I kinda figured on the down tube. The 500's center exit exhaust needs to comeout somewhere. :-D.
 Interesting though, that the swingarm doesn't need narrowing like the 250's. Are the rear mounts of each engine the same width? Or does the 500 motor actually require shimming/spacing to take up the gap? Is the 450 pivot shaft 17mm like the newer 250's? Or larger yet?  450 or 500 radiators?

Sorry for the rambling questions. These kinds of projects get me all worked up!! :-o :-o

The rear mounts on each motor are the same, the 450 has a 17mm pivot bolt. I use the 500 radiators on all my conversions, it's easier to weld tabs on the frame to accept the 500 radiators than to try to re-plumb coolant lines.

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2007, 01:45:27 AM »
Don46, if I had the welding skills you have, I'd have built me one yesterday. I just don't trust myself with aluminum. I have a hard time welding steel as it is, just isn't my gift.

Awesome bike. I may just go ahead and get me the parts, I still have a handful of 500 parts leftover. Maybe I could do a trail and error.

Offline FuriouSly

• the "Base Camp"
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2007, 03:24:25 AM »
Don46....  looks pimp my friend.  Have fun looking cool and one off!!! 

Sly

Offline don46

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2007, 07:56:33 AM »
Don46, if I had the welding skills you have, I'd have built me one yesterday. I just don't trust myself with aluminum. I have a hard time welding steel as it is, just isn't my gift.

Awesome bike. I may just go ahead and get me the parts, I still have a handful of 500 parts leftover. Maybe I could do a trail and error.

Its suprising what you can do, if you really try, I'm a self taught aluminum welder, and admittedly, there was alot of garbage before I had confidence in my abilities, even so, I gusseted the areas that were cut. building these bikes isn't that difficult, more time consuming than anything, trying to figure out how to make the 500 stuff work in different frames. IMO the airbox and pipe are the 2 items that are time consuming and really suck. I must be getting smarter, this time I made a pattern for the airbox mod, and bought the SH pipe.

Don46....  looks pimp my friend.  Have fun looking cool and one off!!! 

Sly

Thanks Sly, I don't ride as much as I used to, and when I do I usually ride a 250f. I build them for my son to ride/compete, thats where the enjoyment is for me.

Offline FactoryPhil

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2007, 05:15:52 PM »
I build them for my son to ride/compete...

Nice dad! My dad couldn't understand why I kept wanting bigger streetbikes when I was younger. He thought 90cc was plenty since that is the biggest one he had.
It's not if you crash ...it's when
I'm on IRC efnet #mp3addics-chat Mechanos or MechServ