Author Topic: Main exhaust valve stuck  (Read 3061 times)

Offline Tumbleweed

Main exhaust valve stuck
« on: September 29, 2007, 06:09:43 PM »
I can't seem to remove the main exhaust valve. I have a Clymer manual and it says to remove the screws and "lift it out". How easy should this be? There is a LOT of carbon but the valve flaps around.

I scraped off some of the carbon and shot some penetrating oil on it, but it's still "unliftable" Anyone got any tricks for this? I'm thinking about taking a hammer and screwdriver to it but I'm afraid I may damage it. I'm hoping there is a special method to removing it that the manual forgot to mention.

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
Re: Main exhaust valve stuck
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2007, 01:55:09 AM »
I have not had to do a top end yet on my K5 because it has such low hours.
Look this over you might find your answer.
http://www.hallbergs.net/kx500/
KX 500 Rider

Offline BDI

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2007, 07:08:55 AM »
You did remove the two rotary valves first right, because if you did not you can't get the flapper valve out. It should come out with no problem once the rest of the power valve has been removed. You removed the little cover and then removed the two bolts under the cover right? I have never had one stuck seems odd. If it was stuck I would not see it taking much more then some light taping to get it out.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2007, 07:16:00 AM by BDI »
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!

Offline Tumbleweed

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2007, 09:47:12 AM »
I have not had to do a top end yet on my K5 because it has such low hours.
Look this over you might find your answer.
http://www.hallbergs.net/kx500/

I checked there already doesn't seem to mention this problem, but thanks for the thought.

You did remove the two rotary valves first right, because if you did not you can't get the flapper valve out. It should come out with no problem once the rest of the power valve has been removed. You removed the little cover and then removed the two bolts under the cover right? I have never had one stuck seems odd. If it was stuck I would not see it taking much more then some light taping to get it out.

I removed all the parts, the two side valves, the idle gear, the main operating rod, the main valve cover and the screws inside that hold the main valve in. Because I never did this before I took a picture and highlighted the area that I THINK should be coming out. can any one verify that this whole section is suppose to lift out or am I doing it wrong?

Offline BDI

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2007, 09:53:35 AM »
yes that whole thing should come out. I would try heating the valve with propane or map gas torch and see if that helps.

Offline Tumbleweed

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2007, 10:18:44 AM »
yes that whole thing should come out. I would try heating the valve with propane or map gas torch and see if that helps.

ok thanks I'll try heating it. At least now I know the whole area is suppose to come out I'll be a little more aggresive on it.

Offline fluffy

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2007, 11:35:36 AM »
i like to use a 3/8 6 inch extention as a drift sometime because it doesnt have a sharp edge. put it right where the hinge is and tapa tapa tapa untill it comes loose. dont be afraid to hit it,but your not framming a house either.the other thing is put the two bolts back in and tap them. dont thighten them up just a couple of threads.

Offline Tumbleweed

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2007, 01:16:06 PM »
thanks for all the help guys, I heated it up and it fell out.  :-D

Offline BDI

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2007, 02:40:12 PM »
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile, glad that worked for you. :wink:
« Last Edit: September 30, 2007, 02:43:04 PM by BDI »