Author Topic: Dual Sport KX500  (Read 25393 times)

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
Re: Dual Sport KX500
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2007, 07:26:26 AM »
Going to House of Kawasaki to have the 2 front wheels trued.  1 for the sand tire and a wheel for the dual sport tire.  Still need a back wheel for the sand tire.  When I find another rear wheel (1997 and up is what I'm looking for) I'll have 3 sets of wheels.  MX, Sand and Dual Sport. I'm working with Electrosport on getting the correct Speedo for the K5.  I have a few mounting issues on the head light.  Need to send them pictures of my fork clamps so they can make brackets.  I don't want to start the project until I have all the parts in my hand.  I still want to ride while the weather is so good.
KX 500 Rider

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2007, 02:12:50 AM »
I'm still gathering parts for the dual sport conversion.  I would like to point out how customer oriented Laura and Eric from ElectroSport  ( http://www.electrosport.com/ )  have been in my quest for the ultimate dual sport bike.  They have had a few issues with this project.  Very minor in my option but they act like it's a big issue for them.  The way they have treated me shows they value their customers.  A happy customer is a return customer.  I'm happy and I haven't turned a wrench yet.  They sent the wrong speedo but immediately they sent a replacement and e-mailed a return shipping label.  The head light uses the upper pinch bolts for the forks as the mounting point.  On the KX the bolts go the wrong direction for the ElectroSport Dakar set up.  Here again Eric stepped up to the plate and fab'ed up these cool brackets.  To be continued........
« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 02:19:01 AM by Danger4u2 »
KX 500 Rider

Desert Panther

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2007, 05:29:55 PM »
ok, it's been a few weeks......

Status?

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2007, 03:00:56 AM »
I've been waiting for the weather to turn sour, didn't want to quit riding yet.  Today is the day, sleet mixed with freezing rain with thunder and lighting.  When I flipped the K5 back in Dec. '04 it bent the sub frame. I did the best I could at getting it straight and it looks OK but with the tag/tail light assembly hanging down farther it looks real bent.  So I am waiting for an after market sub frame from AC.  I did truck the bike to the car wash and got it good and clean for the tear down.  I don't think we will be open tomorrow, if that's the case I will start then.  More to come soon..........
KX 500 Rider

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2008, 03:39:17 PM »
Went to the Oklahoma Tax Commission to have the lien released from my K5 today and found that the creditor never filed it.  Cool didn't cost me anything.  Last summer I asked about getting my bike street legal and the guy told me I would have to set up the bike, in other words spend the money to make it street legal then bring in the receipts for all the parts (head light, blinkers, horn,tag light, stop light......) and they would decide if it could be tagged. Then it would have to be inspected.   He threw in "There's no guarantee that I would be awarded a tag".   He was a Jerk, you know the state worker type of Jerk.  The Tax Commission has moved to a new building, I noticed that the Jerk is no longer there.  I asked one of the ladies about "street'n" my bike and was referred to the lady in charge of that division.  She told me to bring in my receipts and sign a document stating I have brought the bike up to home built street legal status and a new title and tag would be issued.  I asked about the inspection and she said "Your signing a document stating you did all the work and if you didn't that's perjury". No inspection.   If it's not street legal it becomes a law enforcement issue she said.  The Jerk was lying through his teeth probably because it was close to quitting time and he didn't want to deal with me.  Tomorrow I'm going to get it tagged and titled.  I think I'll see if I can get OFF RD as a custom tag.  Or transfer my DRTBIK tag from the KLR.  Anyone have a good idea for a custom tag for a dual-sport KX500?  I can have 6 numbers or letters.  I could go with KX500.
KX 500 Rider

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2008, 03:56:41 PM »
More tag ideas,
EATDRT
UNSAFE
MXRIDR
MOTOX
DANGER
WA2FST
LA8TER
2FAS4U
KPBACK
WCHOUT
THSWAY

It's late and I'm brain dead,  help me out,  I need a cool tag name,  MX or dirt bike related.
Might just go with the one I've got.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 04:09:41 PM by Danger4u2 »
KX 500 Rider

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2008, 04:27:40 PM »
It already has an off-road title and she said no inspection.  This is the Tax Commission not a tag agent.  Tag agents call the Tax Commission when they have questions.  You have to have a Vin. inspection when you have an out of state title and want to change to an Oklahoma title.  I had to do that Monday when I titled the CR500R that I bought in Texas.  Some Oklahoma laws are real lax  .We didn't become a state until 1907.  I take that back we do have the strongest anti-meth laws in the nation. 
KX 500 Rider

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2008, 05:05:57 PM »
Right away I knew the mighty K5 needed the wheels balanced.  So I built a static wheel balancer shortly after I got my K5 in late '04.  The rear rim lock weights 4 ounces, add another ounce for the valve stem..  I use spoke and stick on weights.  It makes a big difference.  I've been told a person does not need to balance dirt bike wheels because the ground is uneven and you can't tell the difference.  I just agree with them knowing in my mind they are wrong.  Put a dirt bike with unbalanced wheels on a stand and rev the engine up in 3 gear and see what happens.  Then do it with balanced wheels.  Unbalanced rotating mass equals vibration.  They can try to argue with physics but they won't get far.
KX 500 Rider

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2008, 12:11:41 PM »
Just like the lady said, I brought in my receipts for the dual-sport conversion with my title.  Showed them the install instruction book for the dual-sport kit and that sealed the deal.  They asked about speedo and odometer and I pointed out it's called the computer in the kit.  She said I would have to go make copies if I wanted to keep my original receipts, at the same time we both looked at the clock and it was getting late.  Said she would make copies for me.  Came back about 5 minutes later with the paper work, went to the pay window gave them my insurance card w/ $93.50.  I walked with a new tag and the registration.  Where the reg. used to say MX now it says MC.  I'll get the new title Wed. in the mail.  The build process begins tomorrow.
KX 500 Rider

kleake

« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2008, 01:16:28 PM »
That is awesome!!!!  and I sold my KX500 and got a KLR!!!   Man I would have loved to make the mighty 5 street worthy.  My only issue is I would want to be able to fill it at the pump, so the mixing became the factor.  I sure miss the power though!

Offline The Flyin Hawaiian

« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2008, 01:44:25 PM »
I lucked out with the 02 that Im getting, its got a NJ title and reg. I may go the same route with a d/s kit. I was also thinking about swapping the motor into my titled 04 KX250.
A couple of 03 and 04 KXs, a few YZs, 3 PE 400s, a DR and a TS.

Offline 5dracing

« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2008, 08:40:18 AM »
Hey Danger,

How about NEGEAR (Any Gear). My brother in law has always wanted to use that on a nasty street beetle. He's built a few but never got the plate for one.

Ralph D.
The torch has been passed; Father to Son. He is faster!!!

Offline TheGDog

« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2008, 09:10:02 PM »
More tag ideas,
EATDRT
UNSAFE
MXRIDR
MOTOX
DANGER
WA2FST
LA8TER
2FAS4U
KPBACK
WCHOUT
THSWAY

It's late and I'm brain dead,  help me out,  I need a cool tag name,  MX or dirt bike related.
Might just go with the one I've got.

Hmmm.... let's see.

ENVYME
1WLRDR (1 Wheel Rider)
ABLUR (A Blur)
BADBOY
2SMOKE
KX4ROD (KX For the Road)
TKTMCH (Ticket Machine)
KXAV8R (KX Aviator) <--- personal fav
IVFALN (I've Fallen)
DIRTY
OLDSKL
VRYGRN (Very Green)
NO4STK (No 4-Stroke)
WOOHOO
GRNDMN (Green Demon)

How's that for starters?
'97 PC800 + '96 KX 500 + '90 KDX 200 + 2000 XR50R (for the lil guy!)

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2008, 03:12:49 AM »
These were taken.
UNSAFE
MXRIDR
MOTOX
DANGER
LA8TER
 I went with EATDRT.  I have METRIC and DRTBIK on the KLR.   I like 2SMOKE.  Maybe EATRKS (eat rocks)?
KX 500 Rider

js

« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2008, 06:58:24 AM »
ADIOS or do you need 6 letters, How about adding another rim lock on the other side to balance the rim.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 09:26:45 AM by js »