Author Topic: light coil idea  (Read 32862 times)

Offline kaw rider

• Cool your engine with water not fuel
Re: light coil idea
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2010, 11:19:33 AM »
you also have to cut the taper on the new flywheel.

Offline jonny500

« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2010, 11:20:00 AM »
sorry to but in guys. i am new to the site. just thought i would get involved. this is a company i have used here in the UK for some electrical gear. http://www.electrexworld.co.uk/kawasaki-mx-enduro-motorcycles-electrical-parts-332-0.html  . they supply a lighting coil for a k5 with a power rating of 65w that bolts to your original stator plate. hope it is of some use to you
regards
john

Offline maddoggy

• K5 @ ST. ANTHONY DUNES
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2010, 11:32:49 AM »
correctomundo my friend. From what I understand so far If I send These guys my stock parts they will fab up a stator plate and put together the whole thing to fit my needs. It also seems like they can supply the whole ignition to go with it kinda like a PVL set up. If my leg wasn't busted and I wasn't out of work I would start this process immidiately. Danger If you would like to follow my lead on this I would be happy to do a bunch of the talking phone calling and leg work if you would like to go for it. I don't want to do a bunch phone calling and waisting peoples time with no money to spend. I do have spare flywheel and stator I can mail off to these people to see what can be done. These people are right by stewart if you are interested PM me and maybe we can put a cool post together on Kx500 lighting finally. I think this would be a great deed to humanity and I wouldn't mind helping.
this sounds awesome. however given the fact that they will be fabing parts it sounds like it could be expensive. maybe if a few guys get together and pull the trigger on this idea it could be cheaper than having a company build on a "one only" basis.

Offline BDI

« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2010, 11:37:40 AM »
you also have to cut the taper on the new flywheel.
These are the little things we need to figure out who knows maybe the tapper is the same and the shaft is larger then we could build a tapered collet. I just don't know and don't have the funds to find out. I wish I could Buy like 20 or 30 of these set ups because I'm sure I  could get someone to give me their undevided attention and help. One guy I have called was a tottal pain in the ass. It reminded me of back in the day when I would call trying to get stuff to make my bike go faster,We don't have a kit for that and why do you want to do that for or my favorite one you don't want to do that you should do this, GRRRRR.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 11:54:32 AM by BDI »
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!

Offline BDI

« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2010, 11:42:55 AM »
correctomundo my friend. From what I understand so far If I send These guys my stock parts they will fab up a stator plate and put together the whole thing to fit my needs. It also seems like they can supply the whole ignition to go with it kinda like a PVL set up. If my leg wasn't busted and I wasn't out of work I would start this process immidiately. Danger If you would like to follow my lead on this I would be happy to do a bunch of the talking phone calling and leg work if you would like to go for it. I don't want to do a bunch phone calling and waisting peoples time with no money to spend. I do have spare flywheel and stator I can mail off to these people to see what can be done. These people are right by stewart if you are interested PM me and maybe we can put a cool post together on Kx500 lighting finally. I think this would be a great deed to humanity and I wouldn't mind helping.
this sounds awesome. however given the fact that they will be fabing parts it sounds like it could be expensive. maybe if a few guys get together and pull the trigger on this idea it could be cheaper than having a company build on a "one only" basis.
I would hate to get to many people on board and have the idea flounder. If I get this guy on the phone maybe I can lead him here and he will see the need and that might be enough to spark his interest enough to see dollar signs.

Offline maddoggy

• K5 @ ST. ANTHONY DUNES
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2010, 11:46:54 AM »
I would hate to get to many people on board and have the idea flounder. If I get this guy on the phone maybe I can lead him here and he will see the need and that might be enough to spark his interest enough to see dollar signs.
i see your point but i don't think anyone sees dollar signs when they think of a kx 500 project of any kind, i think they just keep thinking of an outdated old beast. i mean heck, you can hardly find any new aftermarket parts for the k5 anymore. i hope this idea works out. i'm not doubting your idea, i just have my doubts that any manufacturer will be willing to think outside the box for this. they all seem to be on the 4 stroke stuff like stink on crap but are leaving the 2 stroke bikes to collect dust in the manufacturing realm.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 11:53:07 AM by maddoggy »

Offline BDI

« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2010, 11:50:26 AM »
Well maybe he has something that will fit are needs that hasn't been flying off the shelf. I think that their might be more sold then one would think. Who knows I'm just stuck with nothing to do but think and this has been on my mind for a long time.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 11:53:15 AM by BDI »

Offline maddoggy

• K5 @ ST. ANTHONY DUNES
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2010, 11:58:46 AM »
Well maybe he has something that will fit are needs that hasn't been flying off the shelf. I think that their might be more sold then one would think. Who knows I'm just stuck with nothing to do but think and this has been on my mind for a long time.
i have no doubts that a few hundred would be purchased if they were available and worked well. there are alot of k5s out there and alot of owners that would love to ride their beasts on night rides. i personally would love to ride the dunes at night when nobody else is around to worry about crashing into. climbing choke cherry at night, OH YAH!

Offline BDI

« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2010, 12:04:03 PM »
This would open the door for other stuff also like better nos set ups,efi,hard wire your GPS, grip warmers dual sport kits and more. And it would just work and keep working very little added weight to the bike. I even have a bitchen idea for the battery.

Offline alward25

« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2010, 12:31:02 PM »
I have presented the idea of a lighting system to Trail tech,  Ricky Stator ,Electrex UK and Electrosport.  Electrosport was the only one wanting to work out something.  Like I have said on other posts, We are still working on it.  I know that if we had something that we would sell at least 50 right off without even thinking about it. Stewart and I have talked a lot about this and we want something done very soon.  When we know, you all will know.
Alex
"Let there be light"

Offline HammeredFlat4

« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2010, 12:54:12 PM »
I have presented the idea of a lighting system to Trail tech,  Ricky Stator ,Electrex UK and Electrosport.  Electrosport was the only one wanting to work out something.  Like I have said on other posts, We are still working on it.  I know that if we had something that we would sell at least 50 right off without even thinking about it. Stewart and I have talked a lot about this and we want something done very soon.  When we know, you all will know.
Alex

Thats a bummer because Electrosport makes crap products that they dont stand behind.  I belive the company is currently up for sale.
05' DR 650, 04' KX 125, 99' KX500
Liberty or Death . . . Dont Tread on Me!

Offline BDI

« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2010, 01:17:09 PM »
Alex
The cool thing is You didn't mention the company I found. The other thing thats cool is they may have something that will only take a little tweaking to work. Sorry I'm not trying to step on any toes I'm just not putting all my eggs in one basket on this idea. I'm not looking to make money on this I'm just trying to push the Idea along.Also I have been beating the bushes about this for along time around here and I will continue to persue stuff like this until danger tosses me off so please don't take it the wrong way. I figured you would tell us when you had something but I'm not going to sit here and hold my breath Waiting.  :|
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 01:23:45 PM by BDI »

Offline alward25

« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2010, 02:08:43 PM »
No toes stepped on here. If there something that we can tweek the someone has found lets do it.  That is the purpose of the forum. Thanks, I will look into it
Alex

Alex
The cool thing is You didn't mention the company I found. The other thing thats cool is they may have something that will only take a little tweaking to work. Sorry I'm not trying to step on any toes I'm just not putting all my eggs in one basket on this idea. I'm not looking to make money on this I'm just trying to push the Idea along.Also I have been beating the bushes about this for along time around here and I will continue to persue stuff like this until danger tosses me off so please don't take it the wrong way. I figured you would tell us when you had something but I'm not going to sit here and hold my breath Waiting.  :|
"Let there be light"

Offline BDI

« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2010, 03:41:34 PM »
Cool let me make some phone calls tomarrow to satisfy my own curiosity. And I will post any and all info I have tomarrow.I really think there's a good chance these guys have done it before.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 03:43:46 PM by BDI »

Offline ID KX500

• Life, Liberty, and The Pursuit of Happiness
« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2010, 04:14:22 PM »
I even have a bitchen idea for the battery.

Dirt Bike Mag has a review on a CV4 8-CELL battery. It is lithium-ion-ferrous and quite small,,, 4.3 in.X 3 in. weighing about 1.4 lbs. I went to the website, but it isn't listed there yet. www.cv4.net    (800) 448-1223
"Endeavor to persevere."