Author Topic: Exhaust/Water Temperature Monitoring  (Read 1884 times)

Offline BigGreenMachine

Exhaust/Water Temperature Monitoring
« on: August 03, 2007, 07:33:43 AM »
Anyone running a inline water temp gauge or EGT sensor?

I want a EGT monitor but they are $$$. I do plan on installing an inline water temp gauge.

Your thoughts?

Offline demographic

Re: Exhaust/Water Temperature Monitoring
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2007, 05:15:55 AM »
Anyone running a inline water temp gauge or EGT sensor?

I want a EGT monitor but they are $$$. I do plan on installing an inline water temp gauge.

Your thoughts?

Not running any of the above but in Doordie's photos I noticed that his cylinderhead has a water temperature sender fitted into the bleed bolt hole.
Most temperature senders have a 1/8 NPT thread which requires a big numbass hole to be drilled into the head or an inline sender but I have seen some solid state senders that fit into an M6 threaded hole which I assume is what the one in doordies pic is cos thats the thread the hole has.

Taken from THIS THREAD

Offline Johnniespeed

• The Thrill of Speed overcomes the fear of Death.
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2007, 01:26:12 PM »
 I use the temperature sensing tape on the outside of my cylinder. My kx500 runs very consistantly at  177 degrees F.  I had been wondering how hot these bikes run and asked a friend.  He said all his KX's run about 177 and he gave me the heat sensor. I usually dont bother looking at it, unless it is a very hot day or I have been really running the bike hard.
    John
Spring is here and the Mighty 500 wants to ride.
 2004 KX500 E16
 Michigan has the best groomed and mapped trail system, check out the Cycle Conservation Club of Michigan trail maps.

Brett

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2007, 04:44:33 PM »
In go karting circles we used to run EGT's but now the rage is to run an oxy sensor as the ol egt used to go cool when rich but sadly would go cool if very lean and give ppl false sense of security.  All the water temp sensors we had fitted in 1/4" bsp and we ran em at 65 deg C which is roughly 150 deg F, but of course we were running bitumen so no wheelspinnin in boggy sand at zero speed situations like a bike.