Author Topic: ridding on water  (Read 9372 times)

Offline BDI

ridding on water
« on: July 28, 2007, 02:43:22 PM »
I posted this In a different topic and no one seemed to want to touch It with a ten foot pole. I'm sure the few people that read It think I'm a idiot but I think It's possible so I started a post on It to get some opionons about It. what I have been wanting to try Is this, You see these guy on videos crossing 100 feet of water on 250's pinned In fifth on knobbies. They just barely make It across and you can see the bike running out of power and momentum but they are actually ridding on water. On a Kx500 with 70+ bhp,paddle tire,ribbed front tire and the perfect run in on some water that was like glass I bet you could run on water just like the snowmobiles do but I do not think you are goin to cruise around In circles. I will bet you money It will work, It might take a few tries but I think It will work. I'm not sure I want to hit the water at 80 mph but I sure would like to try It. I think the ribbed font tire would do a really good job of  hydroplaning because It would not want to let water go out sidways from the tire. I'm sure there's a formula you could use to figure out the speed like the one you use to bare foot water ski. One of those old wet bikes would probably be good practice before actually tring It. You could probably get some T.V. show to back you and video It.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2007, 06:02:15 AM by BDI »
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!

Offline maddoggy

• K5 @ ST. ANTHONY DUNES
Re: ridding on water
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2007, 04:56:29 PM »
BDI, my ten foot pole doesn't quite reach that far. :lol: sounds entertaining to watch though. if you ever do it post video of it so i can see what a guy with steel cahonies looks like. :-o your theory sounds good and probably doable. MADDOGGY

Offline mlstoner660

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2007, 06:00:20 PM »
I havent seen anyone do it on a dirtbike but ive done it on a banshee. It was in little sahara OK had a good run at it coming down a dunewith a nice flat shore on each side. it was only about 70 or so feet across but it was still a wild ride. i hit it in the top of 6th with paddles and skimmed across no problem. just have to commit to it other wise your going to go for an unwanted dip. that would be awsome to see some one do it on a dirtbike though especially if they are trying to go more than 100 feet.
minor set backs bring major come backs

Offline BigGreenMachine

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2007, 01:31:53 AM »

Offline MadKaw

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2007, 11:43:44 AM »
DOOOOOO   IIITTTTTTTT!!!!!!!
Deviate from the Norm!
Father!...The sleeper has Awaken!!!

2001 Harley Sportster xlh1200
'73 Suzuki GT550
'75 Suzuki GT550
'74 Kawasaki Z1 900
'79 Yamaha GT80
'93 KX500*******
'84 Yamaha Riva 180z scooter
08 Q-link Pegasus scooter first new rid

Offline BDI

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2007, 12:08:06 PM »
watch this, It's a 250 with knobbies a Kx500 with a paddle might even wheelie on water I bet you could cross a lake. :evil:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnyTjURH-_I&mode=related&search=

Offline mlstoner660

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2007, 04:06:41 AM »
those guys on the 3wheelers dont seem to be to bright :?. that 250 is awesome though. thats the first time ive seen a dirtbike skim and he was going a pretty good distance. i say go for it and make sure you get good video of it :evil:. you will definetly win the balls of steel award.
minor set backs bring major come backs

Offline MadKaw

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2007, 04:05:14 PM »
DDDOOOOOOOO....IIIITTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Deviate from the Norm!
Father!...The sleeper has Awaken!!!

2001 Harley Sportster xlh1200
'73 Suzuki GT550
'75 Suzuki GT550
'74 Kawasaki Z1 900
'79 Yamaha GT80
'93 KX500*******
'84 Yamaha Riva 180z scooter
08 Q-link Pegasus scooter first new rid

Offline BDI

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2007, 11:06:34 AM »
I would be all over It like white on rice but theres no place around my house that has water with the correct conditions. I need sand that goes out on to water with perfect transition, I would like to spend a couple of days doing some short water crossings to get used to doing It.  Then point It out on to a big lake with no intention of seeing land again to see how far It will go. Wouldn't It be sweet If It went Indefinitely? fifth gear pined on water :evil:                                                                     

P.S. have you seen this It makes me giddy    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnyTjURH-_I&mode=related&search=
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ig_09ph0eOI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzwzdUXciLg
« Last Edit: August 03, 2007, 11:24:52 AM by BDI »

Offline The Flyin Hawaiian

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2007, 04:52:12 PM »
I think the ribbed front tire may cause the front end to knife in the water. A steering damper might help.
A couple of 03 and 04 KXs, a few YZs, 3 PE 400s, a DR and a TS.

Offline The Flyin Hawaiian

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2007, 03:25:08 AM »
That picture is from the 07 Greenbriar National Enduro. That was taken at the endurocross section towards the end of the race. Its in Millville New Jersey. Ive never been to Hawaii. :-D
A couple of 03 and 04 KXs, a few YZs, 3 PE 400s, a DR and a TS.

Offline Arigato

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2007, 04:02:05 AM »
I'm going crazy here!  I have footage of my friend Keith riding a CR450 over a pond in the meadow of Coral Pink sand dunes.  Everytime I try to load it on to photobucket, it shuts my whole browser down.  The next time Sly comes over, I'll have him try.

Offline FuriouSly

• the "Base Camp"
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2007, 08:44:07 AM »
Everytime I try to load it on to photobucket, it shuts my whole browser down.... Arigato

What up??  Hey, send me the file if you can and I will hack-it and make it work.  I remember that day and was thinking of where that video was myself.

Riding should be nice at Coral next weekend....   beeeotch!!!

Sly

Offline Arigato

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2007, 06:44:36 PM »
I just tried to send it to you and it shut my mail down.

Offline FuriouSly

• the "Base Camp"
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2007, 02:29:29 AM »
WTF?  Burn it to a disc and send it to me before you take off to Coral...  if not I will have to run by your digs and pry it outta your MAC..... hehehehheehehhehe

Sly