Author Topic: Team Green Mods  (Read 4011 times)

Offline BigGreenMachine

Team Green Mods
« on: July 15, 2007, 07:54:57 AM »
Guys, where are all the Team Green tips and tricks for the KX500? I know you can buy a handbook for my 85 Tecate with everything Team Green did to set it up for Jimmy White back in the day. Anything like that for the KX5?

Offline Spider

Re: Team Green Mods
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2007, 11:41:02 AM »

Offline demographic

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2007, 07:16:10 AM »
I wouldn't mind seeing some pictures that show frame bracing details for the 500 as I have a 500 that needs a bit of welding on it anyway so might as well go the whole hog before it goes to get powder coated.

Offline BigGreenMachine

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2007, 08:46:08 AM »
I wouldn't mind seeing some pictures that show frame bracing details for the 500 as I have a 500 that needs a bit of welding on it anyway so might as well go the whole hog before it goes to get powder coated.

As would I. The stock trike frame I have has some stock gussets which are great. The section of 500 frame I have has seen some rough times and needs something more then stock for strength.

Offline Good

• Yo.
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2007, 09:58:12 AM »
Just kiddin' but here's your gusset manual!  (or mine anyway) :wink:

http://dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?p=1139881

Offline demographic

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2007, 10:22:59 AM »
Just kiddin' but here's your gusset manual!  (or mine anyway) :wink:

http://dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?p=1139881

Errr, after looking through nine pages of very interesting KX500/250 hybrid stuff I am struggling to find any pictures of gussetted 500 frames.

Nice thread all the same though.

Offline BigGreenMachine

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2007, 11:35:57 AM »
The "just kiddin but" opening line should have told you better.

The basics that I know are to gusset corners and triangulate as much as the frame without going overboard.  I'm going to brace corners of where I mated the two frames and some of the subframe.

I'll post pics here when I'm done.

Offline Platypus

• Platypus Racing
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2007, 04:30:48 AM »
I am not familiar with what to gusset but I do know that it helps to complete all the welds.  If you look at the 500 frame a lot of the welds are incomplete and that is why we break pipe mounts so easily.  I hope that helps you get started.

Offline BigGreenMachine

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2007, 04:37:46 AM »
Another good point thank you.

I've also seen someone do a custom pipe hanger mount then fill it with liquid gasket to act as a damper to kill the mount breaking vibration. Will be doing the same.

Offline Platypus

• Platypus Racing
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2007, 02:01:50 PM »
I will add the couple other things "I think" they would do or "have heard" they would do. 
Balance crank and longer clutch actuator lever.  I'm sure there are a couple I forgot and plenty I have never heard of.  I think Arigato has pics of the pipe mounts filled with RTV.  Also, I read it is a good idea to put  a bead of RTV around the o-rings prior to mounting your pipe.  If I remember more I will post them.

Offline Good

• Yo.
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2007, 04:00:55 PM »
I was meaning to just get a KXF450 frame and your gusseting would be done.  Sorry about that. :oops: