Author Topic: 1st Hare Scramble - Wish me Luck  (Read 3792 times)

BlackHills

1st Hare Scramble - Wish me Luck
« on: June 14, 2007, 09:08:51 AM »
I am running in my first hare scramble this Sunday.  I have never raced in anything competitive before, but I have been on dirt bikes for 15 years.  I have had the 500 for a couple of years now and really get my kicks doing crazy hillclimbs, but I really wanted to try a race.

I added bark busters, skid plate and a new kickstarter to the bike.  I was hoping for a new ASV clutch lever and perch but they will arive the day after the race.  I am also ordering a flywheel weight before my next one (if I make it out of the first one alive!).  The main thing that I am worried about is physically being able to ride the beast for 2-3 hours in a race.  I am also a bit worried about being passed by some kid on a 85cc bike, so my plan is to roost the crap out of anyone trying to pass me  :-D

I will let everyone know if I am still alive after the race.

Offline alan

• Administrator
Re: 1st Hare Scramble - Wish me Luck
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2007, 09:41:42 AM »
Good Luck and be Safe!

Alan :-D :-D :-D
Sand - Dirt - Dunes = Fun
       04- 700V - 01- KX500
        08 TeryX 2012 KX450F

Offline c-152

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2007, 03:22:41 PM »
Good luck - I just raced in my first one last sunday.  I didnt finish do to the bike overheating and stalling a bunch but that was more due to my inability to set up my bike properly than the bike.  It was exhausting but a blast.  I cant wait to go again  but I promised the wife that I would wait until after our vacation. 
Good luck - it is great fun
?There are only three sports: mountain climbing, bull fighting, and motor racing. All the rest are merely games.?
? Ernest Hemingway

"I want to leave this world the same way I came into it: Screaming and covered in blood."

Offline maddoggy

• K5 @ ST. ANTHONY DUNES
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2007, 11:28:11 PM »
blackhills, is the hare scramble around the rapid city area? I live in sheridan wy. and we dont have any competitions around here. rapid could be close enough for me maybe. good luck on your upcoming event. MADDOGGY

BlackHills

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2007, 02:54:57 AM »
blackhills, is the hare scramble around the rapid city area? I live in sheridan wy. and we dont have any competitions around here. rapid could be close enough for me maybe. good luck on your upcoming event. MADDOGGY

There are hare scrambles just about every month here.  You can visit www.bhmoto.com to see the schedule and get more information.  This months was supposed to be held at the Terry Peak ski resort, but got moved due to all the rain that they have gotten in the last couple of weeks.  This race will be in New Underwood which is a bit east of Rapid City.  I can't really comment too much on the race since I have not been in one yet, but I will let you know.

I found some information about a "Cross Country" event in Elk Basin which I think is close to Powell and Cody?????  Here is a site http://billingsmotorcycleclub.us/interior.php?page=events

I have been looking for good places to ride in Wyoming and from what I heard there is some excellent places near there.  There is a group of us from the Rapid City area that make a trip down to Montrose/Grand Junction CO once or twice a year to ride.  But we really want to find a nice place to ride that's closer.  We usually make a long weekend out of it and just camp right near the riding.  Can you suggest any areas in Wyoming that might fit the bill?  (lots of hill climbs, single track, and enough riding to keep us occupied for a weekend).

Offline The Flyin Hawaiian

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2007, 12:17:49 PM »
Make sure you hydrate! Get a drink system if you dont already have one. I know you were probably joking about roosting anyone trying to pass you. Dont worry about them, If they catch you their going faster so let them by. You dont want an angry AA rider behind you, they can get ruthless! Just concentrate on finishing in one piece and have fun. :-D
A couple of 03 and 04 KXs, a few YZs, 3 PE 400s, a DR and a TS.

Offline maddoggy

• K5 @ ST. ANTHONY DUNES
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2007, 06:07:17 PM »
blackhills, there is alot of great riding especially hillclimbing around lovell and around graybull wyoming. as far as the camping, i suppose you could find a campground in one of those towns. the riding area wouldnt be too great for camping. dirt only no vegetation. never been riding around powell wy. but ive heard there is some great riding there as well. pretty much all blm or state land for riding. you will need the state orv sticker to ride these areas. there are rangers that patrol but as long as you behave and display the sticker they are pretty cool. these areas are wide open for riding. ride prettymuch anywhere you want. if you decide you want to try lovell or graybull let me know and ill try to get some more detailed info and directions for you. MADDOGGY

irnworker433

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2007, 03:14:06 AM »
Before I started racing I thought 2 things werent gonna happen.
1. NO minis will catch me or beat me for that matter on my 500 kx
2. No girls will beat me ever.

Well I was wrong on both accounts. Theres some kids on those little bikes that flat out haul the mail. Wayy faster than I ever thought they could go. You can hear the little mfers comin too. sounds like a bunch of angry bees. Humbled me bigtime.

The women who race in the expert class here in district 37. Amy Hasten, Anna Jo Cody(solo'd the baja 500 this year) etc are very fast dirtbike racers and can easily place top 20 overall in our races. Yep got passed by them too.  One of the girls has a sign on the back of her chest protector saying......."You just got passed by a girl" with little flowers painted on and everything. Very very humbling.

BUT as I progressed, and rode smoother and faster. I havnt gotten passed by anymore minis! Yesss

Offline Platypus

• Platypus Racing
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2007, 08:09:16 AM »
So how did you race go BlackHills?