Author Topic: Hydraulic Clutch  (Read 3686 times)

Offline kawsf

Hydraulic Clutch
« on: May 29, 2007, 02:52:37 PM »
My Hydraulic Clutch Setup On My KX550

« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 04:23:12 AM by sandblaster »

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
Re: Hydraulic Clutch
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2007, 01:37:47 AM »
Very nice. Looks custom built. No clutch arm. Looks like it drive the push rod without the clutch arm. What brand?
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

Offline demographic

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007, 08:30:34 AM »
Is it part of another bikes casing cut down or one you have made up from scratch?

<Scott wanders off to do a Google image search on other bikes hydraulic clutches>

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2007, 08:47:01 AM »
 Hey, thats what I need! That is a very nice bike and clutch set-up! That looks like Honda design. I would like to discard my clutch arm. I think thats where alot of the friction is in the pull. I have seen hydraulic lines before, but they only give you like a 20% advantage over stock. There's e-z pull clutch with a little gear-box mounted to the bars that has a better advantage. I also got a tip on here that OEM Honda levers and perch have an easier pull. Also extending the arm gives some advantage, but I'm thinking you probably need to sweep the arm forward for the cable length.
  I have a new cable, but still wear out my arm in the tight trails. My buddy rides Honda bikes and their clutch set-up on the transmission looks like that, and his clutches are far easier than mine with the same levers. C'mon man, give it up and explain what you did there!!!! How smooth is that pull?

Offline demographic

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2007, 08:51:01 AM »
OK I give up, what bike is it taken off? :?

Offline kawsf

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2007, 02:29:41 PM »
hello,

just thought some of you would like to have a setup like this.
i have this on two of my kx550's,the bike in the pic i just look at don't ride it much.
i have one that i have had the on for 12 years,i ride tight wood's with it and it work's great.
stock setup just heat's up to much,and is very hard to pull.
that is a stock ktm 300 slave cylinder,that i had machined on the case.
it's a tight fit,you have to run a 13 tooth sprocket so it will clear.
i use a enduro engineering lever,and cut it in have and weld a stock honda lever on the end of it.
the honda lever fit's your finger's better.
clutch pull is about as easy as a stock ktm 300.
it cost me 200.00 for the machine work,and about 300.00 for the parts.
of course you have to take the motor apart to do it ,but for me it's well worth it.
i hope this help's, if need more info just let me know and i will try to get back to you.

http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/7356/dsc00312yh1.jpg

thank's to all, great fourm.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 04:25:24 AM by sandblaster »

Offline cmotodad

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2014, 09:58:58 AM »
I have a case that is broken near the countershaft. I was looking at that same setup. Machine it flat, make an adapter and weld to case. I think many KTM slave cylinders are similar. Makes me want to start some work. Thanks

Offline Craptabulous

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2014, 10:54:50 PM »
More information would be great to bad this is such an old thread . I am tempted to get a machinist to try this , it would be nice if we could get a shop trained up for the job and then just send in our case half . Then you would know what your for sure getting

Im curious what happens when you blow a chain .