Author Topic: Starting on a 500 KX motocross  (Read 4063 times)

RA

Starting on a 500 KX motocross
« on: April 28, 2007, 02:15:37 AM »
 :evil:hello this is my first post, i just got an kx500 92' i think, cant tell :?
and im gouing to right the track do anyone have some god teck to share whit me on the kx500  :-D
the last time i been driving motocross is 10 years ago :-o
so the kx500 has been my choice, they say at the club that im crazy, but have been driving MC for a couple 5 years, and when i drove the KX500, its strong but not the devil its self :evil: so i want your guys to tell me that am not crazy  :-D and give me som good advice, and not just "hold on" :wink:
regards
RAsmus :mrgreen:
And tjek out my MX:
http://www.motorcykelgalleri.dk/html/gal_visbil.asp?ID=13227
« Last Edit: April 28, 2007, 02:35:50 AM by RA »

Offline Platypus

• Platypus Racing
Re: Starting on a 500 KX motocross
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2007, 05:15:00 AM »
Welcome Rasmus.  I am new to 500's as well and so far all I have really discovered is that you need to make sure everything is tight after every ride and you will probably want to go through it, to a certain extent, and put blue thread locker on every bolt.  I only took off plastics and subframe when I bought mine.  Also, check the pipe mounts.  I have a 2000 and the pipe mount under the gas tank was broken when I bought it.  I was too anxious to ride it so I did'nt bother to get it fixed right away and it ended up breaking the lower mount off the pipe in just two play rides.  Good luck and have fun. 

Offline demographic

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2007, 06:22:49 AM »
:evil:hello this is my first post, i just got an kx500 92' i think, cant tell :?
and im gouing to right the track do anyone have some god teck to share whit me on the kx500  :-D
the last time i been driving motocross is 10 years ago :-o
so the kx500 has been my choice, they say at the club that im crazy, but have been driving MC for a couple 5 years, and when i drove the KX500, its strong but not the devil its self :evil: so i want your guys to tell me that am not crazy  :-D and give me som good advice, and not just "hold on" :wink:
regards
RAsmus :mrgreen:
And tjek out my MX:
http://www.motorcykelgalleri.dk/html/gal_visbil.asp?ID=13227

I can't place the exact year of your bike but from the blue forks I am pretty sure its a 91-93 model, it should have 43mm sliders.

Mine are both 90 models and have gold forks with 41mm sliders, I think (although I am not sure) that after your model they went to purple forks with 45mm sliders then silver (ish) forks with 48mm sliders after that.

Not sure what year they changed on the later bikes though.

Welcome onto the KX forums by the way.
Regards Scott.

RA

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2007, 07:56:18 AM »
thanks guys, nice whit some info abought it, my pipe is a difrend one, the last owner change it so i dont know  :| 
im gouing to get some grafics from my wife's uncle he makes it for cars and stuff, hope he can create some cool stickers  :wink:
but its good to be here, in the KX500 forum YEAR :evil:
do anyone off you guys drive in motocross whit the KX500?

Offline demographic

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2007, 08:29:16 AM »
I use one of my KXs on the road...

The other one is waiting for me to have enough time to do it up.
As for riding motocross? I don't and to be honest I figure if I practiced really hard and stuck in I might just achieve the status of fairly crap :-(

I just like hooning around on them thats all.

Offline Good

• Yo.
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2007, 08:48:05 AM »
May 5th is my first practice at the local track.  Wish me luck!  I'm in the big bore 30+ Beginner class.  I watched them race a few weeks ago an I definately have a chance!  Especially out of the corners... :evil: 8-)

RA

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2007, 12:55:46 AM »
nice to have the KX on the road, in denmark there are no one on the road! the law in Dk, is soo unfair that alot of modifacasion is gouing to be done on the KX, and it cost $
how fast is the KX, streetbike to some other bikes  :-P???

Good:
wow let me know when you come home from the track, im gouing to raide the track in a week or 2,.
ill wiil cross my fingers that the mean green dosent hurt you :-D
regards
rasmus

Offline kx666

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2007, 03:38:16 AM »
RA-
where are you from? I detect an accent in your writing.
~steve

RA

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2007, 04:07:07 AM »
hey steve im form Denmark Europe :-D
if you dont know where it is, look on the world map and look for the "man whit the dripping nose"  :lol:

Offline demographic

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2007, 04:17:23 AM »
how fast is the KX, streetbike to some other bikes  :-P???

Its very quick indeed on the little twisty bumpy roads and as its so light it changes direction at the blink of an eye compared to road bikes but only does about 100 MPH on the current gearing, I could gear it higher but as the downside of it being good in the tight corners is that its a bit flightly on the long sweepers.

On a good tight road it's very very good on a road with long straights and fast sweeping corners its awfull.

You just have to pick the right roads thats all, I love it.

RA

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2007, 05:39:37 AM »
demographic:
i have been told that the kx500 or all mx cross bikes, is gouing to be damage in the engine , if you raide on the street  :|. have you made a lot of modifacasions on the engine?

Offline 5dracing

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2007, 01:39:44 AM »
RA,

I rode my K5 in MX races and practices. The biggest difference was getting used to what gear to run. I found that running 1 gear higher than what I thought worked great. ie if I thought it was a 2nd gear turn I used 3rd and let the power get you through it. I also found when jumping it was best to get up to speed then keep even throttle on the face of the jump so the power didnt come on hard on the face of the jump because that tends to make you bite the front fender. Make sure your suspension is set up. I'm 6'2" and 250lbs, I used 2nd gear to holeshot and it worked well.

Short story.
Sitting on the line of my first race with the k5 next to a guy on a 450 4stroke. He looked over and said hum KX 500, ever loose a holeshot? I looked over at him and said I don't know this is the first one!!!! I beat him to the first turn.
The torch has been passed; Father to Son. He is faster!!!

Offline demographic

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2007, 06:40:06 AM »
demographic:
i have been told that the kx500 or all mx cross bikes, is gouing to be damage in the engine , if you raide on the street  :|. have you made a lot of modifacasions on the engine?

So far the only modification I have made to the engine is main bearings that are rated for higher revs.

I don't like running it on long straights as it just sounds nasty but its great on the twisty roads.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 06:20:39 AM by demographic »

RA

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2007, 09:51:13 AM »
5dracing:
thanks man just the info i need,  :evil:

"Short story.
Sitting on the line of my first race with the k5 next to a guy on a 450 4stroke. He looked over and said hum KX 500, ever loose a holeshot? I looked over at him and said I don't know this is the first one!!!! I beat him to the first turn."

Love that story, HA HA HA, im gouing to tell that in the mx-club he he  :-D

demographic:

ok, sounds nice that it is the onley "mod" you needed to do, have you got a video where you raide? and 5dracing have you got a video?