Author Topic: KX500 exhaust gasket replacement  (Read 1730 times)

Offline quincyman

KX500 exhaust gasket replacement
« on: April 19, 2007, 08:48:00 AM »
Every time I do a top end on my KX500 the top end kit does not include the exhaust pipe gasket that fits between the pipe and the cylinder in the exhaust hole. Here I sit again with out that gasket and the old one was disintegrated into nothing. I have tried auto parts stores, my Honda dealer with no luck. The nearest Kawasaki dealer is 45 miles away and then I have to wait for them to get the part in most of the time.

Has anyone figured out a cheap replacement for this gasket yet?

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
Re: KX500 exhaust gasket replacement
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007, 08:57:45 AM »
That gasket is a copper crush washer, Their was a member here by the name of Machine that made some out of brass. He has not posted here in a while. He sent me one that he made and it works great I have never had to replace it. I have had it in my bike for about two years now. The copper crust washer will only last for about 6 months of riding. The idea for this part is to keep the head pipe and the cylinder from vibrating and hammering together. I would order a few of these washer when you order them.
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
Re: KX500 exhaust gasket replacement
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2007, 09:00:29 AM »
When you get a new one take it to the machine shop and have them make you one out of brass. Needs to be a soft metal but not to soft. Almun would work.
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com