Author Topic: Finally got to ride the new KX  (Read 1569 times)

Offline Platypus

• Platypus Racing
Finally got to ride the new KX
« on: April 09, 2007, 02:58:21 AM »
Finally got to really ride my newly purchased KX so I figured I'd give my first impression.  To start, the bike is extremely easy to start but after kicking it for a day my foot start to feel it, but not bad.  This bike will start cold with one GOOD kick and no choke. 

I thought the suspension was going to be close because the guy I bought it from is pretty much the same size as me and said it was set up for offroad.  I think it just had nice stickers on it from the place he got it serviced at.  I'm sure once I have the chance to go through it I will find nothing was really done to it or it is set up for moto.

The pegs looked like the teeth had been filed down because they were almost completely flat and flush all the way around.  I have never ridden really worn out pegs and I highly recommend nobody else ever do it.  You cannot maintain speed through anything other than completely smooth sections because even the smallest bumps make your feet move.

I love the power and it is 10x easier to flick the throttle to get some wheelspin for fast turns.  I noticed this instantly and cannot believe how easier it is compared to my 250.  About 10 mintues into our ride I hit about a 10' dropoff and landed flat which caused the bars to pull back significantly.  Nobody had an allen on them and I had to ride it like that until we finished our first loop.  No fault of the bike I should have checked those bolts.

It is a handful in the tight stuff and rocks but I really don't think a heavier flywheel is in order.    Seat time is the key here.  The bike pulls way harder all the time which obviously requires more strength and stamina.  I think over time this will become less and less noticeable as you and your body adjust to the bike.  We'll see :p.

I found myself chugging it at very low rpm's up tight single track hills on several occasions with no problem and I love that.  I am not anywhere near the speeds I would like to be riding at due to a long layoff from riding and this is a must for me right now.  My WR250 with the long rod kit had the same chugging power.

When we hit the dry lake bed I pinned it and took off.  There was one other rider with us on a WR450 that I could not just completely blow away but still pulled away from him.

I really cannot comment on the stability or anything because of the pegs and suspension.  All in all a great bike.

Offline MadKaw

Re: Finally got to ride the new KX
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 02:33:58 PM »
cool deal man, can wait to get mine all ship shape and tke it out for a "serious" ride
Deviate from the Norm!
Father!...The sleeper has Awaken!!!

2001 Harley Sportster xlh1200
'73 Suzuki GT550
'75 Suzuki GT550
'74 Kawasaki Z1 900
'79 Yamaha GT80
'93 KX500*******
'84 Yamaha Riva 180z scooter
08 Q-link Pegasus scooter first new rid