Author Topic: Just got a kx500. Have some questions  (Read 4271 times)

500bigbore2k7

Just got a kx500. Have some questions
« on: March 27, 2007, 02:51:59 PM »
Sorry if this is posted in the wrong section. I just got a 2002 kx500 in great condition for $1200.   Its all stock and i was wondering if anyone had any mods that doesnt cost a fortune to get even more power from the beast like reeds,spacers,etc . Anything i need to do as far as changing jets or anything, it seems to be on the rich side.  Im around 800 ft above sea level.  Also what is the best plug to get and what gap . what is the usable compression range ???  thanks for the help.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2007, 02:55:22 PM by 500bigbore2k7 »

Offline MadKaw

Re: Just got a kx500. Have some questions
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007, 03:56:23 PM »
there are many posts in here about these things. a jetting post above this, as well as a spacer post.
good deal on the kx though. glad to have ya here.
use the search button up top and I bet you find lots of good stuff.
Deviate from the Norm!
Father!...The sleeper has Awaken!!!

2001 Harley Sportster xlh1200
'73 Suzuki GT550
'75 Suzuki GT550
'74 Kawasaki Z1 900
'79 Yamaha GT80
'93 KX500*******
'84 Yamaha Riva 180z scooter
08 Q-link Pegasus scooter first new rid

500bigbore2k7

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2007, 05:52:46 PM »
few more questions. i checked out the reeds and when i was putting it back in the bike , the thing that holds the reeds. it has an arrow on it.  which way does it go ?  Also do te bike make a noticable sound when the KIPS kicks in ? i think it may be stuck cause when i went WOT it never got that slingshot affect or any diffrence in sound.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2007, 06:50:53 PM by 500bigbore2k7 »

Offline Johnniespeed

• The Thrill of Speed overcomes the fear of Death.
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2007, 01:35:15 PM »
I bought my 04 kx500 new, when I took off the reed plate the arrow was pointing down. I was surprised because I would have expected it to be pointing up. My kips system makes no engagement noise and I have no slingshot effect. My bike  has temendous power and will wheelie at the flick of the throttle. The kips system varies the exhaust volume to to allow more power at a broader rpm range. I can however feel above a  certain rpm, that the engine is 'on the pipe'. And if I keep it at that rpm, the engine feels as though it is making maximum power.
  If you just got a kx500 and want more power, you have stronger arms than I have. When I got mine, I added a flywheel weight to smooth out the power and I bought dumbells to strengthen my arms.  John
PS this site has many tips on getting the bike jetted right, and I feel that is the most important step to more power.
Spring is here and the Mighty 500 wants to ride.
 2004 KX500 E16
 Michigan has the best groomed and mapped trail system, check out the Cycle Conservation Club of Michigan trail maps.

Offline Mick

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2007, 02:42:53 PM »
Why is it I see guys buy a 500 and ask what to do to make it faster??  :|

Seems to me a person's first question would be about the suspension...brakes...controls maybe.  I don't know?  It's a KX500.  It's got plenty of issues, non of which are power.
1989 KX500
2003 Service Honda CR500AF

Offline MadKaw

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2007, 03:39:37 PM »
amen brother, just got mine and the first thing I'm doin is going thru the bearings, cables, brakes, puttingon steel braded cables, pads, discs, new fluids, running thru all bolts, cleanng carb, and everything to make as stable a platform as possible....then...HOLD ON!!!!!
Deviate from the Norm!
Father!...The sleeper has Awaken!!!

2001 Harley Sportster xlh1200
'73 Suzuki GT550
'75 Suzuki GT550
'74 Kawasaki Z1 900
'79 Yamaha GT80
'93 KX500*******
'84 Yamaha Riva 180z scooter
08 Q-link Pegasus scooter first new rid

Offline c-152

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2007, 12:24:39 AM »
I though that to, when I first started reading these pages, however if you notice, many of the people who post here are dune guys, drag racers and hill climbers.  You always need more power for these activities.  I am a woods guy so my mods always stick with suspension and protection. 
Everyone rides a different style

Back to the original question - I would make sure jetting is spot on (read the sticky) before making any power mods
?There are only three sports: mountain climbing, bull fighting, and motor racing. All the rest are merely games.?
? Ernest Hemingway

"I want to leave this world the same way I came into it: Screaming and covered in blood."

Offline FuriouSly

• the "Base Camp"
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2007, 07:03:03 AM »
Why is it I see guys buy a 500 and ask what to do to make it faster??...Posted by: Mick

I though that to, when I first started reading these pages, however if you notice, many of the people who post here are dune guys, drag racers and hill climbers.  You always need more power for these activities...Posted by: c-152

Most definately.  I ride mostly in the sand and you need mucho power and suspension to do it with style.  Mine still isn't powerful enough,  but it will do for now   :evil:

2002 kx500 in great condition for $1200...500bigbore2k7

Now that is one heck of a find... I am envious.  Where abouts in the US are you?

Sly
« Last Edit: March 29, 2007, 07:08:44 AM by FuriouSly »

Offline Arigato

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2007, 08:24:57 AM »
   Mine still isn't powerful enough,  but it will do for now   :evil:

I know how to fix that. :-D

Marc S

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2007, 08:25:19 AM »
There is allot of post's on the jetting topic, all of the dialog has been very helpful to me. The pilot jetting seems to have the biggest variance because it really depends on the type of riding people do. The factory jetted the pilot circut very fat on the KX500 because, in the worst possible enviroment when decelerating from speed with the throttle shut and down shifting a rich pilot circut aided in lubrication and helped to lower engine temp. The pilot jetting was very safe, I ride mostly woods with a allot of slow technical type stuff, I like a very clean idle circut so I like my pilot leaner. I ride at 250 feet above sea level, however, in the summer at the same location the corrected altitude can go up by as much as 1000 feet because the changes in weather change the air density . I like to jet my bikes during spring or fall. That way in summer I am a little rich and winter I am a little leaner but still safe.

My bike is set as follows, it runs great and never fouls plugs in the woods or on the street.
Pilot-48
needle-M82N 3rd clip from top
Main-170
Air screw 2 turns out
Plug-B8EG or B8ES
40:1 with Silkolene Comp2

I hope this helps,
Marc