Author Topic: Magura Hyd. clutch  (Read 2595 times)

Marc S

Magura Hyd. clutch
« on: March 09, 2007, 08:40:39 AM »
The KX500 I recently purchased has a Magura hydraulic clutch kit on it. It seems to work really good,  I know KTM uses them, but have never seen one a Japanese bike. I would be interested in hearing peoples response regarding if I should keep it or go back to the cable.

Offline hillclimber147

Re: Magura Hyd. clutch
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2007, 10:17:55 AM »
I know a guy who had one on his KX500, the rod on the slave broke. Last I heard he never fixed it. I love the hydraulic clutch on my KTM 525, let us know how yours holds up I want to get one for my KX500.

Offline MadKaw

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2007, 12:43:43 PM »
been lookin at those pretty hard, but a lot of people say they leak after a little while. keep us updated on how it does
Deviate from the Norm!
Father!...The sleeper has Awaken!!!

2001 Harley Sportster xlh1200
'73 Suzuki GT550
'75 Suzuki GT550
'74 Kawasaki Z1 900
'79 Yamaha GT80
'93 KX500*******
'84 Yamaha Riva 180z scooter
08 Q-link Pegasus scooter first new rid

Marc S

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2007, 07:14:55 PM »
I took the Magura clutch setup off the KX today, the reason is, it puts alot of preload on the clutch, and when you activate the clutch, it bends the washers on the bolts that retains the bearings in the case behind the clutch basket. When I purchased this bike, it had transmission damage caused by a broken snap-ring. I noticed the washers bent during tear-down, I thought it was caused by the broken snap-ring. Apparently the snap-ring broke because of the tranmission shaft being pushed out the side of the engine by the hydraulic clutch which also bent the washers. It's a good thing I caught it when I was installing the engine. I went back to a cable and it works great.

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2007, 12:20:02 AM »
The KX500 I recently purchased has a Magura hydraulic clutch kit on it. It seems to work really good,  I know KTM uses them, but have never seen one a Japanese bike. I would be interested in hearing peoples response regarding if I should keep it or go back to the cable.

I rode a KTM 450EXC for a day with a hyd. clutch. Took some getting used to. Very different feel than a cable. I had a hard time with the "timing" in the feel, but once I spent some time with it, I really started likeing it! (especially the 125 2 stroke like lever pull) :)
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline moreccsthanlbs

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2007, 11:38:38 AM »
i've had a hydraulic clutch on for one season, so far it has held up great. i think it has been a great addition, it pulls like butter all day, great mod. imo