Author Topic: BOILING WATER  (Read 2518 times)

jpinhb

BOILING WATER
« on: November 26, 2006, 02:51:48 PM »
Hey guys , it's been a while since I've been on and I need some advice . I went riding the other day and noticed that after a few hillclimbs my bike was hot and I could hear the water boiling . I went back to camp and it was very low . I let her cool off , added some water and went out again , same problem . Is there a simple way to pressure check for leaks ? There were no visible leaks that I could find . Anyhelp would be appreciated .

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
Re: BOILING WATER
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2006, 01:16:26 AM »
First, check your cap. More than likely it is not allowing it to pressureize and is coming out the hose.

Also, check your oil. It could be leaking into your tranny (bad seal). Lastly a small leak. Go to a local hardware store (Pepboys or Advanced Auto) and rent a radiator pressure tester. Or find your mechanic friend who has one.

But more than likely the cap has worn out and isn't holding as much pressure.

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2006, 03:17:13 AM »
Purging all the air out of the cooling system is very important, their is a air bleed screw on top of the head. This screw needs to be cracked open while you are filling the cooling system.
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2006, 03:44:23 AM »
I also think you should check(or replace) your cap.  It is a good idea to route the overflow hose onto the pipe. Then it is easy to tell when you are boiling over (steam).  I run an overflow bottle on mine since I often ride in slow/gnarly areas.  Seems to work well.  There are some pics in my gallery - easy to fab out of an old armourall bottle.  Cam.

Offline KrenzyRyan

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2006, 12:18:06 PM »
I have the same problem, where do I find a new cap? (I have a 89' kx500)

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2006, 03:17:10 PM »
Hey, welcome to KXRiders! First I would start with your local Kawasaki dealer.. Next an automotive parts store usally has them too.. It is a 1.1 bar cap, and most parts store have the correct size. But as always check with Kawasaki first to see if they have one.

Offline KrenzyRyan

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2006, 07:07:26 AM »
Is there anywhere online you guys go?  The closest Kawasaki shop around here is kind of far.

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2006, 07:21:29 AM »
bikebandit.com
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

Offline kx666

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2006, 04:34:26 PM »
an old armourall bottle. 
cam,
I do not want to hear you using the "A" word. and also mom and migeesers do not know anything about cleaning/ care products  :wink:

ever sence i started working for a  car care manufacture i have kindof became a cleaner snob, i hope you all forgive me  :-D