Author Topic: Plastic Skidplate ?  (Read 3668 times)

jigggawatt

Plastic Skidplate ?
« on: November 24, 2006, 11:47:27 AM »
Does anyone still make a plastic skidplate for the 500?

gil2264

Re: Plastic Skidplate ?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2006, 02:34:11 AM »
I don't know if it will fit, but the Honda XR650R skid plate has worked well on my 650.  I know Honda even put one on their CRF450 for the Baja rather than going with an aftermarket aluminum plate.  I'll see if mine will fit on my KX.  There may be an issue with the expansion chamber, but plastic can be shaved easily enough.  By the way that skid plate has endured eastern trails (woods, downed trees, and rocks), and Colorado Rockies (BIG ROCKS) with only a few scratches.  Best off, Bike Bandit Lists that part for only $44.11 http://houseofmotorcycles.bikebandit.com/partsbandit/oem_schematic_view~schem_dept_id~379881~section_dept_id~1~section_dept_name~OEM+%28Stock%29+Parts~dept_type_id~2~model_dept_year~2001~model_dept_mfr~Honda~model_dept_id~375114~model_dept_name~XR650R.asp

Good luck

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2006, 03:40:18 AM »
I took my plastic skid plate ( I call them bash plates) off of my KLR 650 and put on an aluminum one.  I will hold the plastic KLR plate under my KX 500 and see how it would fit.  I have aluminum on the K5 also.  I like the aluminum because it sticks out and covers the water pump and stator on the other side.  When I did the 5th Annual Oklahoma Dual Sport ride in Clayton Okla. last month you could hear the rocks hitting big time on the bash plate in the helmet cam video I shot.  Here's some video to give you an idea of the rocks we had to deal with in the Kiamichi Mountains in S.E. Okla.   http://www.kxriders.com/coppermine/displayimage.php?album=78&pos=0   I'll take a picture Monday of the K5 with the plastic KLR plate to show you how it would look.  The KLR plates are on e-bay all the time.
Danger
KX 500 Rider

jigggawatt

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2006, 04:24:23 AM »
Thanks for the help. I wanted plastic, because of the sound coming back at you from the alum. plate. I've got a 650r stock plate it doesn't protect the rear of the motor as much as I would like. I wish I could dualsport my 500. Here's a pic from last years Barstow to Vegas . I did it with my son.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2006, 04:28:50 AM by jigggawatt »

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2006, 01:20:32 AM »
Maier USA made them for years, check up on them.. They still manufacture plastics for old ATC's and just about  all dirtbikes.

jigggawatt

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2006, 10:58:12 AM »
Thanks I'll give them a call and post my findings.

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2006, 04:29:44 AM »
I think you could make the KLR 650 skid plate work.  Here's picture of one held under my ' 04 K5.  I do have an alum. one on my bike so KLR is held as close as I can.
Danger
KX 500 Rider

jigggawatt

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2006, 12:07:24 PM »
Thanks for going to the trouble of taking the pic!!! Maier no longer makes skidplates. I may take the sure way out and get an Alum. plate