Author Topic: SuperMoto  (Read 3358 times)

wilson69

SuperMoto
« on: November 09, 2006, 07:45:35 AM »
Thinking about building a kx500 supermoto, assuming I can get it plated, how well would this bike be suited for street duty? I know the k5 motors are pretty tuff, and I'm willing to tear it down every so often for maintenance work, but just curious if anyone who is running 17s regeared supermoto on the street how it works. I just got through doing a drz400e (dirt model) for street and love it, but keep dreaming how great it would be to be running a two stroke...

I'm looking at bikes between 2002-2004, is the stator powerful enough to run a 55W headlight? and led taillight?

Thanks!!

Offline Johnniespeed

• The Thrill of Speed overcomes the fear of Death.
Re: SuperMoto
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2006, 11:05:49 AM »
 Hello, I cannot answer the rest of your questions, but I do know that the 2004 kx500 does not come with a lighting coil. But not a problem, as Moose sells a 65w lighting coil that bolts right on. One word of caution, I had to mill the stator bracket because it sat too high. So a little mill work and it clears the flywheel just great. Powers the headlamps great. There is also an external big dollar, big amp alternator  that is available as well. I think it will power the lights in a football stadium. LOL. Also there is a brake light switch available that will fit into the banjo bolt for the rear master cylinder, nice clean factory looking switch so brake lamps are an easy thing too.  John
Spring is here and the Mighty 500 wants to ride.
 2004 KX500 E16
 Michigan has the best groomed and mapped trail system, check out the Cycle Conservation Club of Michigan trail maps.

Offline kx666

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2006, 03:30:24 PM »
where are you located? i tried to get my k5 (or any dirt bike) legal in WA and have had nothing but bad luck

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2006, 04:46:45 PM »
It's real easy to "street" a dirt bike in Oklahoma.
KX 500 Rider

Offline PurPorc

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2006, 07:49:24 PM »
My bike had all the necessary documents when i bought it, so i didn't have to worry about that.  :-D
But all the things you need for it to be road legal were taken off since the bike has been raced before.
So i've ordered a 65W coil for mine and that should be plenty.

For the front brake, i'm going to replace the original master cylinder with 1 of an Aprilia RS250 (it already has a switch for the brake light), and the front caliper is also made by Brembo. And that's about it, besides optical changes.

Kick and ride.  :evil:

Offline ws6transam

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2006, 01:29:19 PM »
PurPorc,
Do you have pictures in your gallery of the Supermoto?
I'm hoping to do a Supermoto version of a 2001-2004 KX500, then attempt a plating for the state of Michigan, perhaps in about nine or ten months.

Will a KX500 idle and handle sustained part throttle cruising okay? Is it possible to convert from Supermoto to ORV trail duty by just switching wheels, or is it harder than that?

What are your thoughts?

Offline PurPorc

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2006, 05:54:39 AM »
For supermotard, the front of the bike is lowered to minimize wheelies  :-D :-D :-D
The suspension travel is shortened, about 4 cm or 1.5 inch, but without having to cut the springs, so you can always change it back.
You can also slide the fork against the handlebar if you like(that's about 3cm, i guess), it's less work than the job above when you want to switch to offroad trim. But the first way is better, because of the preload on the spring.
For monobike, both the front and the back are lowered.

But when you change the front wheel, it also means changing the brake. And when you use a 4 or 6 piston caliper and a stronger master cylinder, the entire brake system needs changing.
Also, when you change the back wheel, note that the difference between a 38 and a 49 teeth sprocket requires the chain to be shortened/lengthened.

You can also make a complete setup using a second fork, with the front wheel already in it and the brake system installed and replace the front as a whole.
Then you just need replace the master cylinder on the handlebar and you're done.

I will post more pictures in my gallery soon, but in the meantime:
http://www.kxriders.com/coppermine/index.php?cat=10893