Author Topic: Re: Rear brake lever to high  (Read 3568 times)

streetsweeper

Re: Rear brake lever to high
« on: October 25, 2006, 02:18:32 PM »
 Hi all,  I have a 2001 kx 500 and Iam having problems with my rear brake lever.  I use IMS foot pegs.  My problem is that my brake lever sits to high and I have to take my foot of the peg to use rear brake. Its ok when Iam standing, but when ever I sit down I cant get my foot to bend up that high while still on the peg.

I have tried the adjustment only to have the rear brake over heat and fade out completely. 

If anybody has any ideas i sure would like to hear them.

Im thinking of cutting/ modifying lowering it at least an inch.

please help me with any tips.

thanks

Ruben Chavez

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2006, 12:51:10 AM »
You need to adjust the brake lever stop screw located above the the brake lever. This allows you to position the lever where you want it, but you must also re-adjust the linkage where the brake lever connects to the master cylinder. The linkage at the master cylinder will alow you to adjust how much free play you want in the brake lever.
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

openclass

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2006, 02:01:51 AM »
yes, what Hughes said. I had the same problem.

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2006, 02:14:39 AM »
Huges is right, make sure you have some free play or your brakes will be dragging.  On my '04 K5 I run the brake pedal level with the IMS Pro Series peg.  My right ankle does not work as well as it used to because of a knee injury.  I have trouble on my KLR with the back brake because it sits lower than the peg.  I have IMS Sport pegs on the KLR, in their effort to make a peg that fits many bikes they end up sitting higher than stock.  IMS Pro Series for the K5 are the same height as the stock pegs.
Danger
KX 500 Rider

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2006, 03:41:27 AM »
Good photo it shows both adjustment points.  :-D
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2006, 03:57:48 AM »
The pin with the cotter key that connects the foot brake pedal to the rear master cylinder should have a little play.  If it's tight you are putting pressure on the brakes.
Danger
KX 500 Rider

streetsweeper

Re: Rear brake lever
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2006, 03:10:53 PM »
Hey thanks for the tech tips, I tried what you guys recomend and it still dont jive. any other suggestions ? a welder freind of mine told me if he cuts and welds the brake lever it will weaken it, and probably brake in a get off. He lectured me on bad foot positioning habits. Then he went on about modifying the foot pegs instead, possibly raising them.  The last time I gave the issue my full undivided attention made adjustment ect and it still wasnt enough adjustment.  I love my kx 5 even though its doing this to me . cant wait till it gets right.  also my IMS clear fuel tank started leaking under the seat looks like hair line cracks.  bummer.  got a clarke 4.0 on the way  :-D thanks again for the responce even though i already done and tried the adjustments. :?

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2006, 10:49:49 PM »
Hi all,  I have a 2001 kx 500 and Iam having problems with my rear brake lever.  I use IMS foot pegs.  My problem is that my brake lever sits to high and I have to take my foot of the peg to use rear brake. Its ok when Iam standing, but when ever I sit down I cant get my foot to bend up that high while still on the peg.

I have tried the adjustment only to have the rear brake over heat and fade out completely. 

If anybody has any ideas i sure would like to hear them.

Im thinking of cutting/ modifying lowering it at least an inch.

please help me with any tips.

thanks

Ruben Chavez

When you adjust the stop bolt, you also have to adjust the threaded clevis at the rear of the brake pedal. You want to feel about 1/4" of free travel befor you feel some braking resistance. I am also thinking you have moisture in your rear brakes. When your brake fluid heats up the moisture vaporises, and causes your brakes to fade badly, and feel spongy. Completely flush your fluid out, re-bleed your brakes, and you should be all set.
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline GDubb

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2006, 02:39:00 PM »
I know this is an older post but I just wanted to add that I have the same problem with the brake lever.  I adjusted it to where the front of the brake lever is as low as possible in relation to the footpeg and it is still not low enough for me.  I'm 6' 3" tall and when I sit down on the bike up close to the tank, my toes point almost straight at the ground so there is no way possible to use the back brake without lifting my foot completely off the peg.  While standing in the "attack" position up on the bike with my shoulders over the bars, it is still uncomfortable to raise my toe high enough to sit atop the brake lever while keeping the arch of my foot on the peg and almost not possible in riding boots.  I have to push my hips back over the rear of the seat/rear fender with my knees locked to get my toe high enough to rest over the brake lever without actually applying the brakes.  Therefore, no riding wheelies for me as I cant "cover" the rear brake in a comfortable and in-control position on the bike.  Hopefully this helps some of you understand what streetsweeper is referring to. I knew exactly what he was talking about because I deal with the same thing. There is not enough adjustment in the lever to cure this problem for me.  I personally just deal with it but would be very happy if there was a resolution to this problem. 
Rock it 'til the wheels fall off!

"It's not what you ride... It's who you're riding for!" - www.mxrevelation.com -

Offline Spider

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2006, 03:52:54 PM »
I had the same problems with my brake pedal. Trying to use the adjustments wouldn't help enough, being 6'2" I needed a little more. What I wound up doing is taking a large crescent wrench (16") to bent the petal down enough to work for me (about .75 inch).

Dale

Offline kx666

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2006, 05:13:02 PM »
i must be doing somthign wrong....
i am 6'3" and i actually raised my brake lever up a little, i found in tight trails i am  so far forward i cannt reach the pedel but when it is a little taller it is almost in the way.

this has been working for me, but it could be a bad ridding habbit. i guess...
~steve