Author Topic: Changing jets...  (Read 2524 times)

Offline John

• http://www.hallbergs.net
Changing jets...
« on: June 03, 2003, 10:45:31 AM »
Hi all,

I was just wondering if anyone has got a nice trick how to change the jets (main and pilot) without dismounting a lot of stuff. I've got a Moose spacer kit and a Pro Circuit can which does not help. I just find it tedious to change them so I figured someone else must do to? Any good ideas?

/John

Rick

Changing jets...
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2003, 03:59:10 AM »
I actually tune the carb on the trail with the bike on its side, so had to come up with a quick and easy method.  Here is what I do.

0. (I forgot one step) shut the gas off at the tank, and lay your bike on its side.
1. loosen both carb boot clamps, and pull the gas hose.
2. pull a little slack in the hoses that go down by the shock.
3. carefully twist the carb so the bowl will point to the shift lever side.  As you twist the carb in the boots, push the throttle cable down into the frame so it will follow the carb around.  If your tank does not allow clearance (not sure about all tanks), twist your carb the oppisite direction so your can unscrew the cap on top of the carb.  Remove the slid and lay it on the engine on a clean rag.  Now continue to step 4.
4. Once you are able to get to the bowl screws, stop.  Remove the bowl (assuming pilot jet change, if not, just pull the access cover at the bottom of the bowl.  I think it is a 17mm)
5. change your jets, and reposition everything.  Pay special attention to the throttle cable to ensure it does not get snagged.  

As I mentioned, I actually do this on the trail.  Takes about 5 minutes.

Enjoy the new found power.

Rick