Author Topic: KX5 upper pipe mount Rebuild/Mod  (Read 4538 times)

Offline FuriouSly

• the "Base Camp"
KX5 upper pipe mount Rebuild/Mod
« on: August 27, 2006, 08:29:42 AM »
The upper pipe mount is another week spot on the KX5. Broken twice in two months and with two anti-vibe brackets. There is a nut that I used as a spacer in the top left picture to make up the gap as a temporary fix for my last trip.  Made it bombproof now. On both the Gnarly pipes that I have the upper tab is 3/8" from meeting up with the frame mount. Straighten the pipe tabs with a crescent wrench so they are in line and parallel. Attach the anti-vibe brackets to the pipe first and tighten so they align with the frame mounts (less stress on them) and then attach to the frame. I plan on powder coat and Bling after all bugs are fixed.

FuriouSly

« Last Edit: September 01, 2006, 04:53:53 PM by FuriouSly »

Offline alan

• Administrator
Re: KX5 upper pipe mount Rebuild/Mod
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2006, 09:01:35 AM »
Nice Job! :-D :-D
Sand - Dirt - Dunes = Fun
       04- 700V - 01- KX500
        08 TeryX 2012 KX450F

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2006, 09:15:54 AM »
Dude, GREAT job! Now that's a BEEFY pipe mount !!
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline Arigato

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2006, 10:09:38 AM »
You're getting pretty handy with that new toy. :mrgreen:

Offline Ramski

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2006, 04:26:58 PM »
If you break that, I'm thinking that would be the least of your worries.  :roll:

Sweet job!  :mrgreen:
Danny Lesovsky

Offline Timbowe

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2006, 08:32:58 PM »
Theres a market for that! :-D
KX500
Weapon in the hands of the Master

Offline Arigato

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2006, 01:43:59 AM »
What time should I bring my bike over?

Offline serafin

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2006, 02:26:12 AM »
Nice repair job.  I was thinking of trying to make an aditional attachment point to the lower radiator mount.

Serafin

Offline apple

• Desertriding.com
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2006, 05:20:35 PM »
Hey FuriouSly, - what are the KX frames made of? and what type weld is that? I need to weld on mine a little bit around where the chain rubs on the subframe. I work with a good welder and need to tell him this stuff.

Thanks

2000 KX500

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2006, 11:37:32 AM »
Sly,
  That looks like red hi-temp RTV you have filled the mount on the pipe with.  Is that to dampen vibration?? How does it work? Cam.

Offline FuriouSly

• the "Base Camp"
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2006, 03:24:21 PM »
Hey Apple:  The frame is made of steel and the weld is done with my Miller MIG.   The subframe is made of aluminum and I repair that with a Miller TIG.   Sounds like you need to stay on top of the chain adjustment so that you don't get that rubbing on the subframe.   An O-Ring or X-Ring chain of premium value is a good way to ensure a longlife-low maintenance chain that has minimal side to side deflection.  Usually around 80-120 bucks is the range.

Cam:  Arigato and my wife FiXXeR got me the Gnarley pipe for Fathers Day.  Arigato and his Bro 1AllDave are long time KX wrenchers.  Arigato personally did the High Temp RTV to the pipe before delivery.  All three mounts have RTV and it does keep the vibes down and ultimately the welds from tearing.  You need to let the upper mount (the most RTV) to sit for about a week or two to cure, or slowly add layers to it. But you would have to give each layer a good purchase point to adhere to.  Gotta love friends that will get dirty behind your back for you!

Sly
« Last Edit: September 23, 2006, 04:50:43 AM by FuriouSly »

Offline FuriouSly

• the "Base Camp"
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2006, 04:24:04 PM »
Another update on the pipe situation...   I just got back from a day trip to Dumont Dunes with a friend and the top mount is solid and the anti-vibe brackets look good.  Did some 80 footers, alot of step downs, and all around cruisin'.  BUT, the bottom pipe mount on the frame is broken now.  I did notice that the lower anti-vibe bracket had to have some flex on it since the gap between the pipe tab and frame mount is a little tighter than optimum.   So, it looks like I am going to make a new bottom and rear frame mount for the pipe.   Those stock frame mounts are definately cheesy weak and flimsy!  I will keep you all informed of the rebuild/mod progress.

This bike ultimately is getting set up to do 100 foot+ jumps in the dunes on a regular basis.  So in the next 4 months or so I should have all the failure points worked out.  The suspension is getting stripped off right now and off to the tech.

Sly
« Last Edit: September 01, 2006, 04:53:07 PM by FuriouSly »

Offline Spider

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2006, 04:56:44 PM »
Careful you don't get the bike's brackets too strong and it breaks the pipe's bracket.

I like what you've done so far though.
Dale

Offline apple

• Desertriding.com
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2006, 04:14:15 AM »
Hey Sly, thanks for the info. I`ve heard that some frames are make of certain alloys that you can`t weld without knowing what their makeup is, so I was a little worried. No probs now.

Later.

Jack
2000 KX500

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2006, 04:41:49 AM »
Thanks Sly,
  I got a tube of that in my shop. I think I'll fill mine too. Thanks for the info. Finally cooled down here enough to go riding (although probably not the hot that you are used to). Cam.