Author Topic: Quick question about the top end  (Read 2925 times)

Offline Polar-Bus

Quick question about the top end
« on: August 23, 2006, 07:15:06 AM »
Hey guys, I got my fresh top end ready to go in. My question is can you yank the 500's cyl., and head all at once, or does the head need to be removed first by itself? Thanks,
                             Rich
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
Re: Quick question about the top end
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2006, 07:19:33 AM »
It will do fine taking both out. Just be careful not to twist the cylinder on the way up.

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2006, 12:30:27 PM »
Hey guys, I got my fresh top end ready to go in. My question is can you yank the 500's cyl., and head all at once, or does the head need to be removed first by itself? Thanks,
                             Rich

Duh, I don't know why I asked this question, my head has to come off anyways, as I am swapping to the .2 mm head gasket.

Good thing I am doing a top end, my piston was ready. definately had the usuall grooves on the intake side of the piston. My cylinder is in perfect condition. My piston pin on the other hand was HAMMERED. Oddly, my pin also had a LOT of pitting. I have never really seen a pitted piston pin. I am wondering if it was a mfg. flawed pin new? A lot of carbon and gunk built up on the powervalves, so my 500 was previously ridden easy, or mixed at 32:1 with garbage mineral based oil.
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2006, 02:35:52 PM »
I'd guess run extremely rich. As for the pitted pin. That's a little wierd. Where was the pitting? Between the bearing and piston?

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2006, 09:44:33 PM »
I'd guess run extremely rich. As for the pitted pin. That's a little wierd. Where was the pitting? Between the bearing and piston?

The majority of the pitting was near the outside edge (but not limited too) of the bearing cage. I will take a pic, and post it up (hopefully you will be able to see the pitting). I have seen rust pitting before, and this doesn't really look like rust, it looks like lots of tiny pin holes.
Its proof to me my '01 bike was barely ridden by a timid previous owner... my bike still had the factory Vasoline style grease in the linkage (and in clean condition!) My bike still had the original green carbon steel bars, (and only slightly bent!), and finally STILL had the original sprockets! (Thats the PROOF)

The crank looks perfect, so it should be all back together tonight. I can't wait to rip my 5 with the new thin "race" head gasket. The new one is .008" thinner than the stocker.
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2006, 05:18:08 AM »
Did the head/piston head have any pitting? It almost makes me wonder if it ran extremely lean and burned it? I'd rule out trash because it is under the piston and there is no crank damage?

Either way, put in a new pin and enjoy it!

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2006, 09:32:43 PM »
Did the head/piston head have any pitting?

Nope. The crown of the piston was clean, and had a good mixture "wash"
I'm all back together! Quite a task trying to balance a heavy KX500 cylinder, AND trying to start the piston up into the bore! I also needed to grind a 14MM box wrench to fit the rear 2 base studs for clearence. I am getting WAY old, my first piston to cylinder fitting, I forgot to place the base gasket in place  :x  . Fired it up last night, and drove it around my yard for a bit, man does it feel crisp and responsive!! Also oddly my engine seems to return much quicker to an idle (I don't get thet inherant KX500 "bing-bing-bing" hanging rpm's)
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1