Author Topic: extreme loss of power  (Read 3188 times)

Garrison

extreme loss of power
« on: August 21, 2006, 01:00:44 PM »
Hello Everyone,
I'm brand new to the board and I'm looking for some help.
This is my situation:
I bought a 87 KX5 about two weeks ago, it had been sitting for a few years before that. I cleaned the carb, freshened up the gear oil and put fresh gas in her and she ran great, took her down the road and ran very strong and smooth thru all the gears.
 After about a week I noticed the gear oil looked milky so I replaced the water pump bearings and oil seal.
Shortly there after, but not immediately, I noticed a lack of power. The bike starts up with out a problem, but now as I run through the gears it seems to rev up high but have very little power.
I took the carb of again and looked it over, seems clean to me.
I messed with the fuel and air mixture and it didn't seem to make any difference at all.
I'm talking like 4 turns out just to see what it would do and no change.
I've done some searching on this forum and the only thing that seems to be a possibility is a power valve problem?
I'm not leaking oil out of any base or head gaskets, just around the gear shifter.
I took off the flywheel cover and it is bone dry so I don't think I'm sucking air at any bad seals.
I've tried explain this situation the best I can. Any help would really be appreciated.
Thanks,
Garrison

Offline Arigato

Re: extreme loss of power
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2006, 02:36:49 PM »
Your powervavles are probably gummed up.  Since it sat for a while it ran OK when you first rode it, now all that goo in there has had a chance to mung things up.

Offline YUNGGUNNAZ

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2006, 02:40:13 PM »
also check clutches and or adjustment.you did say it rev'ed high but felt like lost of power.possible.

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2006, 02:52:52 PM »
also check clutches and or adjustment.you did say it rev'ed high but felt like lost of power.possible.

Excellent post. I would imagine the clutch also. Maybe take down a private (hint hint) paved road and ring it out some and see if the clutch slips. Check the adjustment in the clutch able it might be tight. But I'm guessing it is old and worn out. Also what oil did you replace? Sometimes certian oils will cause it to slip. I ran a drag bike for awhile and had major clutch slippage and was only cured with 10w40 oil and hardcore clutch springs (springs?? maybe? check the specs)

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2006, 04:23:44 PM »
Garison,
  Welcome to the site.  I would suggest you check your powervalve linkage. Since you mention that it originally ran great then you had the side case off, it may be possible that the powervalve linkage slipped off when you put the side cover back on. If you pull off the rubber cover and rev it you should see it move (and then I'm wrong).  good luck. Cam.

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2006, 10:02:54 PM »
Hello Everyone,
I'm brand new to the board and I'm looking for some help.
This is my situation:
I bought a 87 KX5 about two weeks ago, it had been sitting for a few years before that. I cleaned the carb, freshened up the gear oil and put fresh gas in her and she ran great, took her down the road and ran very strong and smooth thru all the gears.
 After about a week I noticed the gear oil looked milky so I replaced the water pump bearings and oil seal.
Shortly there after, but not immediately, I noticed a lack of power. The bike starts up with out a problem, but now as I run through the gears it seems to rev up high but have very little power.
I took the carb of again and looked it over, seems clean to me.
I messed with the fuel and air mixture and it didn't seem to make any difference at all.
I'm talking like 4 turns out just to see what it would do and no change.
I've done some searching on this forum and the only thing that seems to be a possibility is a power valve problem?
I'm not leaking oil out of any base or head gaskets, just around the gear shifter.
I took off the flywheel cover and it is bone dry so I don't think I'm sucking air at any bad seals.
I've tried explain this situation the best I can. Any help would really be appreciated.
Thanks,
Garrison

I am thinking you have a smoked clutch also. A quick way to confirm a bad clutch is to short shift right up to 4th (at a real slow speed), and then accelerate hard, if you hear the engine rev real quick, with no gain in speed your clutch is slipping. Clutches will slip worse when hot also). If you can do this test on pavement, it's easier to tell because the tire isn't loosing any traction. One caution, GET FAR FOREWARD ON THE SEAT!!! Be prepared for a wheelie! If your clutch is good, hang on tight!
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Garrison

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2006, 12:29:29 AM »
Thanks so much for the replies guys,
I'll check and see if the power valve likage moves but it sounds like the clutch is the culprit.
I had it down a paved road earlier when troubleshooting and had it up to fourth gear. It was revving out but little increase in power. Fourth felt and sounded about the same as first.
And now that you guys mentioned the clutch, I can't get her into neutral with the clutch engaged and she'll stall when in first with the clutch engaged.
How many clutch plates are used total anyway? I'm just trying to figure out how much cash this will cost me for parts. I see that each plate runs a little over $8.00 a piece.
Thanks again for everyones help.
Garrison
Oh by the way, I used Belray Gear Saver 80 weight oil. Should I try something thicker?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2006, 12:32:05 AM by Garrison »

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2006, 12:50:58 AM »
Garrison, that pretty much sums up the clutch. I found that the lighter the oil, the less my clutch slipped. My experience is, my clutch started to slip when I was using thick oil.

Take the clutch cover off and look at the plates and see if they look bad. If they do not look bad, a cheap way out is try replacing the springs, they are usally around $10 for the whole bunch.

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2006, 01:48:06 AM »
http://www.rockymountainatv.com/productDetail.do?prodFamilyId=3012&navTitle=Engine&webCatId=17&pageLinkUri=&vehicleType=&webTypeId=38&navType=type

This clutch says 89-04 but it's the same as our 87 500. I installed this same clutch this january and have got about 10-12 rides on it it works great no issues. Welcome to the site. You can check out my old 87 500 in the gallery.

Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

Offline Arigato

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2006, 02:47:55 AM »
Now that I've seen the other replies and thought about it some more, clutch makes more sense.  However, considering the age of the bike, an inspection of the top end and powervalves is still a good idea.

Garrison

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2006, 03:23:02 AM »
Update:
I checked the powervalve linkage this morning and it seemed to move in and out perfectly as the motor was revved.
once again I really appreciate all the help.
Very friendly forum!

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2006, 07:16:54 AM »
Update:
I checked the powervalve linkage this morning and it seemed to move in and out perfectly as the motor was revved.
once again I really appreciate all the help.
Very friendly forum!

We are trying...... we want you riding, and grinning, not wrenching and swearing! If you have an issue with your 500, chances are somebody on this board has had the same issue.
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Garrison

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2006, 12:56:50 PM »
So I'm not the only one who grins when I'm riding and swears when I'm wrenching? :-D
I bought this bike knowing going in that I'd have to do some wrenching on her. I enjoy it quite a bit actually.
But I would definitely rather be riding instead of wrenching if I had to choose one over the other.
I'll let you guys know after I get the time to tear into her.
Garrison
« Last Edit: August 22, 2006, 12:58:22 PM by Garrison »