Author Topic: tearin her down  (Read 4071 times)

b0dem

tearin her down
« on: August 01, 2006, 04:44:02 PM »
Well I need to replace my clutch, and possibly the top end. So let the tear down commence! still dont know what kind of clutch to get so any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Ive never replaced a clutch on a bike, or topend so I will be picking your brains like crazy.
wish me luck!

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
Re: tearin her down
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2006, 03:19:35 AM »
Don't sweat either one. Clean the bike good, Grab a good service manual, drag in the TV, and a case of beer. The mix will make your time enjoyable. Replacing the clutch is a breeze. The top-end is also a breeze. Just remember, when removing the cylinder jug, don't twist it. :-) I've had so many friends twist the jugs on the way up. They all ended up with big bores after.

b0dem

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2006, 08:20:55 AM »
This morning i took some plastics, and the gas tank off. I also went to autozone and bought a compression tester, it tested 125 is this normal for the kx5?
here are some pics of what she looks like now.

b0dem

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2006, 08:23:24 AM »
When taking the tank off I noticed the break in the pipe mount. Think weld would hold it?
I plan on cleaning the hell out of it later this evening. I dont know where most of you live, but here in TN its over 100 today.  :oops:

openclass

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2006, 09:18:00 AM »
Where in tenn.do you live? The map shows you live in Missiouri. I live in NW Arkansas. And yea it is HOT to day, but they are forcasting a little cooler weather for the weekend.

hangtime

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2006, 11:17:54 AM »
What is the bike stand  made from??

b0dem

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2006, 05:56:22 AM »
The bottom is from a heavy duty trash can roller, the top is some plastic bucket I got at home depot. So all in all cost me 17 bucks. Works pretty good, and rolls around nice.

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2006, 06:03:00 AM »
  Your last picture (Picture 037.jpg)  shows a home made pipe to frame mount.  Most likley it broke the metal mount on the pipe.  Rubber looks to thin and was bolted to tight making the metal tab on the pipe flex more than a stock rubber mount.  That's what it looks like to me.  I bought extra stock mounts for my parts inventory I'll find one and take a picture of it.
Danger
KX 500 Rider

hangtime

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2006, 07:44:56 AM »
I am going to make on of them for the shop. That is just much easier than lifting and moving the bike then going back for the stand, only to lift the bike again. The base looks like it is a good width also.

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2006, 08:32:33 AM »
  He's a picture of a stock pipe to frame mount.  From the pipe side of the tab that bolts to the frame to the flat face where the stud comes out is 5/8th of an inch.  The rubber between the two metal parts is 1/2 inch.  The rubber part is what broke on mine.  So far the new one I installed has held up.
Danger
KX 500 Rider

b0dem

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2006, 11:45:50 AM »
So if my compression is 125, does that mean the top end might still be alright? The reason I thought it was the topend is because when I get on the throttle is bogs down, like its getting too much gas. It also puts out a little more smoke then my buddies 2 strokes do. Could this be a carb problem? I took my bike to a shop a month ago, and they played with the carb, and replaced the o ring gasket, but when I start the bike I see smoke coming out of the cyl. So im thinkiking they didnt replace the ring, or didnt do a good job.

Offline Arigato

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2006, 03:33:55 PM »
  He's a picture of a stock pipe to frame mount.  From the pipe side of the tab that bolts to the frame to the flat face where the stud comes out is 5/8th of an inch.  The rubber between the two metal parts is 1/2 inch.  The rubber part is what broke on mine.  So far the new one I installed has held up.
Danger

I hear you guys, mine eats these like candy.

Gonzo

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2006, 06:48:58 PM »
So if my compression is 125, does that mean the top end might still be alright? The reason I thought it was the topend is because when I get on the throttle is bogs down, like its getting too much gas. It also puts out a little more smoke then my buddies 2 strokes do. Could this be a carb problem? I took my bike to a shop a month ago, and they played with the carb, and replaced the o ring gasket, but when I start the bike I see smoke coming out of the cyl. So im thinkiking they didnt replace the ring, or didnt do a good job.

They might have replaced it with a regular o-ring or something stupid like that. Or as you say, not replaced the ring at all. That'd account for the bogging as well I reckon. Had the same problem on my 125 when I fitted a new spannie with a few unnoticed holes... Bloody thing would bog and wouldn't pull top revs either.

Offline Ramski

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2006, 05:19:01 PM »
Danger

I hear you guys, mine eats these like candy.

I've learned a few lessons with these pipe mounts since I was going through them like candy also.  Those things ain't cheap either!!! It's extreamly important you have a straight pipe to begin with.  If there is just a slight twist in the rubber when you put those things on, they will rip in no time.  I actually will shim out the rubber mount on the bottom mount so that it mates up perfectly to pipe with no force and I've found my mounts hold up longer than they used to.  :wink:
Danny Lesovsky

b0dem

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2006, 05:33:53 AM »
Well I just won a barnett cluth off ebay. So as soon as I get it I can actually get some riding done. Will post pics of progress. thanks to everyone for there help!