Author Topic: K.I.P.S question....  (Read 3682 times)

QuantumDuck

K.I.P.S question....
« on: May 27, 2003, 06:01:17 AM »
The little arm that actuates the KIPS on my KX is missing. I am wondering why. Is there any reason for purposely disabling the KIPS? I have the parts on order to get it functioning again, but I thought I would ask all the experts here first....

Carb and gearing is next...I can't seem to get ahead of a bone stock 02 YZ 125 in a straight line drag race...bummer huh?

Hogwylde

K.I.P.S question....
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2003, 12:02:43 AM »
It may not be disabled, it may have just fallen off.  The only thing holding it on is that little nut.  I can't think of a good reason to disable it on purpose.

QuantumDuck

K.I.P.S question....
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2003, 01:30:09 AM »
I thought also that maybe it had fallen off...but the rubber boot and the piece that keep the arm covered are all intact... :?:

Rick

K.I.P.S question....
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2003, 01:59:34 AM »
Have you checked the operation of the power valve?  If the parts are not cleaned periodically, they can be tough to remove, so someone may have just opted to deactivate the system when they could not get the parts out to clean.

Just a thought.  I can't think of ANY good reason to deactivate the power valve.  Depending upon the static position of the power valve, bottom end will be really sad, with a big hit in the middle, or top end will be awful.  If you are having trouble spanking a 125, your power valves are most likely in the closed position.

The first time you ride her with the power vavle fixed, hang on...

Rick

QuantumDuck

K.I.P.S question....
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2003, 02:10:23 AM »
I think the power valve works fine...I can take the piece coming out of cylinder and pull/push it and I can hear the valve working and it works smooth, so I'm assuming it works...

One of my biggest problems though is me...I've never ridden a kx500 before and it's been years since I rode a two stroke dirt bike ( been on the road with multi's for many years) and I'm not entirely sure what to expect out it...but I do know I expect to spank a 125 in a straight drag race across a cornfield.....

Offline JBKX

K.I.P.S question....
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2003, 04:21:10 AM »
I'VE HEARD OF HILLCLIMBERS AND DRAG RACERS THAT HAVE DISABLED THE POWERVALVES IN THE CLOSED (HI RPM) POSITION.  SINCE THEY RUN THE BIKE AT WIDE OPEN AND THE KX500 MAKES SO MUCH TORQUE THEY DON'T NEED'EM I QUESS
2) 1986 KXT250 TECATE 3's
1986 KXT500 TECATE
2001 KX500SF