Author Topic: Looking for tips on buying KX 500  (Read 3895 times)

Offline apple

• Desertriding.com
Looking for tips on buying KX 500
« on: July 30, 2006, 04:09:12 AM »
Hello all.
I asking if there is anything I should know about when I`m out there looking at KX500s, like weak spots or other certain KXism`s that I might not like to inherit. I plan on buying nothing older than about a 95 or so, actually have one to look at now. I hear that there haven`t been a lot of changes over the years, but you know how that goes.(what I hear=possible BS) Also plan to throw a lighting coil in the bike.

Thanks

Jack
2000 KX500

zagnut55

Re: Looking for tips on buying KX 500
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2006, 03:25:27 PM »
What king of lighting coil are you going with. Do yourself a favor if you're going to spend some time night riding which is a BLAST! Spend the money and get the E-line coil that puts out 200 watts and then later if you want to, you can run a helmet light too. It all depends on how bad you want to see. Paul. P.S. Look at the overall condition of the frame, especially the bottom. If it's beat up, it's been rode hard. Also, ask about the maintenance schedule to see how well the person took care of it. If the condition of the bike doesn't match the maintenance say "I change the oil after every ride" then you know someone who canges oil efter every ride WILL keep his/her machine immaculate! When I bought mine, I got the same comment, but the k5 was in excellent shape. Paul.

Offline Timbowe

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2006, 06:40:17 PM »
Nothing really too bad goes wrong with these bikes. Just check the usal stuff like steering head bearings swingarm bearings, wheels, Brake pads/ disk wear, subframe where the chain sometimes rubs, chain guides havent worn through, fork seals/ shock are dry oil free, kick start lever for wear at the knuckle, stuff like that. But a first impression can usally give you a reasonable idea to weather the bike has been looked after. But it doesnt hurt to have a good going over the whole thing. Good luck with finding a suitable 5er. Great bikes you'll never look back!
KX500
Weapon in the hands of the Master

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2006, 04:20:21 AM »
Hello all.
I asking if there is anything I should know about when I`m out there looking at KX500s, like weak spots or other certain KXism`s that I might not like to inherit. I plan on buying nothing older than about a 95 or so, actually have one to look at now. I hear that there haven`t been a lot of changes over the years, but you know how that goes.(what I hear=possible BS) Also plan to throw a lighting coil in the bike.

Thanks

Jack

Heres a few things to play close attention to on the KX500's. First off check the spokes on the rear hub!! Then loosen up easily, and if the previous owner didn't keep them tight, they will destroy the rear hub from the 500 massive torque. Use a screwdriver to tap the spokes, and listen it should be a high pitched "ping" sound. If you see black between the spoke, and the hub, this is a tell tale sign the spokes have been moving inside the hub. The other trouble area is the chain rubs on the upper part of the subframe. If has been rubbing for a long time, the chain will saw right through the subframe (a new subframe from Kawi is $380). I made a previous post on fixing this issue. Two parts you will see getting BIG money on Ebay are rear wheels, and subframes. Other than that, the KX5's are bullitproof.
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline demographic

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2006, 05:40:16 AM »
Check the top expansion chamber mount (under the tank) as they always break, simple to fix but should get you some money off all the same.

This thread is worth a look at...
http://www.kxriders.com/forums/index.php/topic,434.0.html

zagnut55

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2006, 10:37:37 AM »
Also point out that the tab holding the pipe to the frame just under the tank is busted ( it will be ) not that it matters, but maybe a bargaining tool.

Offline FuriouSly

• the "Base Camp"
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2006, 12:56:30 PM »
What up future KX owner...  things to look for on the KX5 that potentially will cost $$$ or breakdowns later on:

Top pipe mount under fuel tank broke - Radiator tabs cracked at frame mounts - No Orings in pipe at cylinder (causes lean conditions and will damage inside of exhaust port from excessive vibration) - Radiator grilles rubbing causing pinholes/weak spots on the front of the rads - Radiators that are pancaked or have excessive fins bent over (air/water flow restrictions) - Subframe cracks/breaks/bends from wrecks (great way to see the abuse level of the bike) - Subframe wear at the chain area - Footpeg mounts on frame (another way to see the useage level - Stock kickstart lever weakness (look here http://www.kxriders.com/forums/index.php/topic,2306.0.html )

Some of these can be seen on the outside, but of course without pulling the exhaust pipe and inspecting the exhaust port/powervalve area (quick tell without gasket problems), it is hard to see how well the bike has been maintained.

Sly

Offline apple

• Desertriding.com
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2006, 05:17:22 PM »
I wondered a little about the frame stuff. I ran into a guy at work who`s son was a big time desert racer out here in SoCal and he talked about how his KX500 was outfitted with extra gussetting by the same folks who did the factory KX`s. He also mentioned something about where the cases were strengthened internally via epoxy. Since normal people don`t ride like this guy does, frame cracks or cases breaking don`t seem to be a big issue. It sounds like none of the usual problems are going to bother me a bit, I can fix whatever breaks. Sounds just like a dirt bike to me. I keep hearing how good these bikes are. I will be doing some long desert runs so you need to know what to do to keep from breaking out there.  By the way, the KX500 was called the King of The Desert around southern California for a long time. They`re still getting some wins in the desert, but most folks are on 4-strokes. Thanks for all the awesome info.

Jack
2000 KX500