Author Topic: Help Me Shed My Training Wheels...  (Read 4352 times)

qdude79

Help Me Shed My Training Wheels...
« on: June 25, 2006, 05:33:01 PM »
Just bought a tricked out KX250 from my best bud.  Totally new to riding two wheels (I have a quad) and totally new to 2 strokes.  I'm about 5'10" and 215, 32 years old in fair shape.  Besides reviewing sites like this thoroughly, any advice???

Qdude

Offline Timbowe

Re: Help Me Shed My Training Wheels...
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2006, 06:27:36 PM »
Just get out there and ride it dude! Ride ride ride. Then when your finished that, ride it some more. Good entry level bike the Kx 250. Just dont be too throttle happy in the first 1 hour or so untill you get used to the power and when it starts to open the taps. Standing up is also good. Lift ya bars up to accommadate this position for your comfort. Knees slightly bent to soak up bumps. Finger ready on the clutch so you can be ready to chop down or stop or what ever. Just ride it. then ride it more! :-D
KX500
Weapon in the hands of the Master

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2006, 05:07:08 AM »
  When I bought my KX500 my friend Mike told me "Everyone I know that's gone from four wheelers to two wheelers gets hurt".  I explained to him I'm riding my VTX1800 . And I've been riding street bikes for 35 years.  I've owned about 6 different dirt bikes and 11 different street bikes.  I have never been without some kind of motor bike since I was 14 years old.  Over the years I have ridden 3 wheelers and some 4 wheelers but not much.  I don't like to ride other peoples bikes and I don't like to let people ride my bikes.  No one rides a bike like the guy that pays for them.  That's the reason I bought my Honda 400EX back in early 03'.  I've been riding the quad hard for 3 years now.  With all that said Mike was right (I hate that he was right) I did hurt myself real bad on the KX.  It was a stupid low speed wreck. The long story short, I dislocated my knee cap and tore the patelar tendon from the bone. Very painful.
  My advice to you would be don't be in a hurry to loose the "training wheels".  Watch, listen and learn.  Take your time and learn by others mistakes it costs and hurts less.
Danger
  Accident happened on Dec. 11,04.  Surgery on Dec. 16, 04. March 23,05.  My knee would only bend 40 degrees because of scar tissue.  A normal knee should bend 135 degrees.  I was put to sleep and had a physical manipulation of my knee to 110 degrees.  My tendon graph is not considered healed for 1 year.  So they went easy on the manipulation to keep from tearing the graph.  I did 3 months of physical therapy 3 times a week before the manipulation and 4 months after.  My quad was the best physical therapy.  2 times I over did it on the quad and it set my progress back a week.  I can now bend my knee about 125 degrees pain free.  I can go to 135 but it hurts.  The muscles are still weak compaired to my left leg.
Picture one: 42 days after surgery last day of hindged soft cast.
   "      two: next day soft cast removed.
   "    three: nine months later.
   "      four: how it looks today.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2006, 06:06:14 AM by Danger4u2 »
KX 500 Rider

Offline alan

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2006, 05:17:11 AM »
Welcome!

Glad to have you as a member!

Alan :-D
« Last Edit: June 26, 2006, 05:34:46 AM by alan »
Sand - Dirt - Dunes = Fun
       04- 700V - 01- KX500
        08 TeryX 2012 KX450F

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2006, 05:28:37 AM »
Going to the gym 2-3 days a week has improved my riding by 10 times. I can ride longer with out getting tried. When you get tried you willl start to make mistakes.
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2006, 06:35:40 AM »
  After looking at my post I thought "what a buzz kill".  It's kind of graphic on the pictures.  I'm just saying have fun on your new bike but be careful.  The other guys are right.  Hitting the gym and seat time will make you the best rider you can be.  Add in safety gear and you will be out front in no time.  Let the other riders suck your dust.
Danger.
KX 500 Rider

Offline Timbowe

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2006, 01:15:05 PM »
Jeez Danger you'll him scare right off! :lol:  I reckon mountain biking is a good fittness and skill booster also.
KX500

fast99

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2006, 02:00:21 PM »
Welcome to the site. I agree the more protective gear you can afford the better. then wear it!!! So far my worst injuries have been stupid slow speed stuff to. Left ACL destroyed, split knee cap, etc. After sugery and rehab I will not get on my K5 or any other bike without my knee braces!!!!! and the rest of my gear. As far as quads being safer, think not, I never want to have one of those heavy things on top of me!!! PS my brother works at the emergency room in YUMA AZ. He can tell you about quad verses bike injuries. (Just my 2cents worth). Have fun ride wear protective gear ride work out ride have fun.

qdude79

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2006, 04:46:38 PM »
No buzz kill, Danger!  I know this is a dangerous sport.  I have a friend that is permanently paralyzed from the waist down from an old 250R trike accident.  It's learning from others' mistakes that I'm trying to do.  I'm sure I'll make my own, but knowing  "hey, be careful of this on a KX" etc. will keep me from having to learn them all the hard way.  Good luck on the rehab.  Stay on that horse.  Sitting at home afraid of injury is another way of saying that you're waiting to die...  no thanks.  Looking for injury on the other hand... no thanks.  Part of the "fun" of riding to me is being able to look forward to being able to do it again tomorrow!

Qdude

Offline Timbowe

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2006, 06:04:46 PM »
Yeah were'nt those trikes a handfull?  :-o
KX500

qdude79

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2006, 01:13:46 PM »
With safety in mind, what kind/brand of boots would you all recommend?  I'm not in to flash or impressing the natives, a good quality economical boot would suffice.

Thanks

Offline FuriouSly

• the "Base Camp"
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2006, 03:15:57 PM »
Hey Q, check out the search engine for looking up topics that may have been discussed in the past.  Boots are here  http://www.kxriders.com/forums/index.php/topic,2269.0.html

Danger, those pics are just the reality of living your life and having fun the way you see fit.  Sometimes our bodies just are not as easily fixed as a motorcycle.  Hope you get back to pre injury status soon.

Q, like Timbowe said, ride, ride, ride.  Try and go out with a riding partner, hopefully a better rider than yourself that can teach you without pressuring you beyond your skill.  I learn alot from the people I ride with just about everytime out.  Most all of them have 5 times the experience and skills that I do, so I always try and pick up that free knowledge and their advice.

Sly

qdude79

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2006, 11:07:54 AM »
Holy smokes!  Two things I learned last weekend:

1) Don't "break yourself in" on a KX250 on the dunes of Pismo.  It's quite a bit to deal with.

2) IT'S FREAKIN' FUN TO "BREAK YOURSELF IN" ON THE DUNES OF PISMO!

I'm almost GLAD I didn't find time to mount the paddle.  It hooked up PLENTY for my first time.  Also got quite a bit of compliments on the bike, to which I could only say "thanks," as I had nothing to do with the buildup of it.  A friend I met up with there has an '02 YZ250 and he only rode my bike for about 15 minutes.  Brought it back and parked it.  Said he was enjoying the ProCircuit suspension too much and he would just end up wanting one for his bike.

Took it down by the water to just cruise as it was warming up (and to get my bearings before hitting the soft stuff) and I was getting looks like I was riding some sort of legend.  Pretty fun considering the money and machines floating around there.

Consider me hooked...

Q