Author Topic: Your thoughts on flywheel weights?  (Read 4717 times)

Offline Polar-Bus

Your thoughts on flywheel weights?
« on: May 31, 2006, 11:21:49 AM »
Any of you guys running a flywheel weight? I just grabbed a clean 2001 KX5 , and man, the low end hit is downright violent! I would definately like to smooth the low end transition. I already have one of those Moose torque spacers on order to try. Thanks,
                       Rich
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

air

Re: Your thoughts on flywheel weights?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2006, 01:19:22 PM »
There is tons of info on flywheel wieghts if you wanted to do a search on these forums. I think the only reason why I would want a flywheel wieght is if all I did was tight trail riding other then that it just tames the bikes crank from spinning so fast, slower revving and what not.

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2006, 04:19:02 PM »
I hate them things, Rick was the great champion of the excess crank mass. Too bad he hardly stops by anymore... :(

Offline Timbowe

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2006, 06:50:05 PM »
The less weight the better. Flywheels are for those who should be on 4 strokes. :-D
KX500
Weapon in the hands of the Master

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2006, 09:33:46 PM »
I am surprised all you guys don't favor them. I good freind of mine has one on his CR500, and he swears by them. He is a long time AA enduro, hare scramble vet. He claims far more consistant braking and decelleratrion bahavior entering corners. I guess I will do some more reading, and spend a little more time with my bike first. Thanks for the replies.

BTW, I just realized my frame bracket right under the fuel tank for the muffler snapped off. Is this a common occurance? Never seen this happen on a Kawi, (and i've owned 4 other KX's so far).
                          Rich
« Last Edit: May 31, 2006, 09:38:18 PM by Polar-Bus »
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline alan

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2006, 01:39:12 AM »
I am surprised all you guys don't favor them. I good freind of mine has one on his CR500, and he swears by them. He is a long time AA enduro, hare scramble vet. He claims far more consistant braking and decelleratrion bahavior entering corners. I guess I will do some more reading, and spend a little more time with my bike first. Thanks for the replies. That is because they forgot to finish up the design work on the CR! :lol: :lol:

BTW, I just realized my frame bracket right under the fuel tank for the muffler snapped off. Is this a common occurance? Never seen this happen on a Kawi, (and i've owned 4 other KX's so far).
                          Rich
Very common and you can find lots of info on the subject with a search! :-D
« Last Edit: June 01, 2006, 01:41:03 AM by alan »
Sand - Dirt - Dunes = Fun
       04- 700V - 01- KX500
        08 TeryX 2012 KX450F

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2006, 02:17:27 AM »
I dont' have one on my K5 but they have their uses.  I had a 87 CR500 that wtih a violent powerband. I couldn't even wheelie on a flat road with going over. The flywheel weight was necessary on that bike. I've condidered putting one on the KX but I only want about 4-6 oz.  Jetting is the key to controllable power.  Generally they are too rich down low so when get on the throttle there is a sudden step change in power output when it leans out a bit.   The removeable steahly ones are cool since, if your are new to 500's, you could put it on for the first while then remove it later once you are used to the bike. Cam.

Offline Arigato

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2006, 03:49:38 AM »
When comparing the KX to the CR500 keep in mind the fact that the flywheel on the CR is waaay smaller than the one the the KX.  I'm actually considering machining some weight off of mine.

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2006, 04:33:11 AM »
This Duner loves the PVL :D

Offline FuriouSly

• the "Base Camp"
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2006, 04:50:56 AM »
    Definately, the sand steals alot of snap from motors.  I second the notion of machining some weight off of the stock flywheel, I need more HP out of the hole and up to 1/4 throttle.

Offline Arigato

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2006, 04:54:00 AM »
    Definately, the sand steals alot of snap from motors.  I second the notion of machining some weight off of the stock flywheel, I need more HP out of the hole and up to 1/4 throttle.

Milling the head would help your application a lot.  Wait 'till you ride mine this weekend.

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2006, 05:45:58 AM »
PVL is the best way to go, it is about 1/8th the weight of the stock flywheel. You want to talk about SNAP!

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2006, 05:58:49 AM »
Arigato,
  When you milled your head did you reshape the chamber or just bring it down to minimum squuish?  :-) Cam.

Offline Arigato

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2006, 06:33:17 AM »
Just took some squish out along with a cometic high performance gasket kit.  The cylinder was ported and the carb bored too.  However, I've seen relatively stock motors run very well with a little head shavin'. :mrgreen:

Offline 5dracing

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2006, 02:36:26 AM »
I have the 11oz. on my bike, it helped with traction in the PA dirt.
The torch has been passed; Father to Son. He is faster!!!