Author Topic: Whats the longest jump anyone has made on their KX500 KX250 KX125 other bikes ?  (Read 7714 times)

Offline kiwikx500

Id be lucky if it was 10 meters for me, just a niewbee at it lolol :-D How high and far is the K5 capable of going before every thing bottoms out,it would have to do more than robbie kinevils CR lol (i think thats what he has) Man can he ride,we just finished watching the series here in NZ where he goes thru out the US on his jumping missions,nice choppers too  :-D (could you please list the model and size bike with your reply)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2006, 01:59:44 PM by kiwikx500 »
1990 KX 500

air

Re: Whats the longest jump anyone has made on thier KX500 ?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2006, 02:16:39 AM »
I jump like 60-70 foot at the dunes and my bikes rear end bottoms out all the time, I have been getting in the habbit of grabbing alot of throttle and pulling up on the bars before I land. So the rear is taking quite a bit more shock then the front.

air

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2006, 02:17:15 AM »
oops just realized you said 500 Do I count? :P 250 man here

Offline alan

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2006, 02:41:28 AM »
I think it's all good! :-D :-D

At my age I try to stay on the ground :cry: :cry:

The longest jump I ever made was about 90', 40 feet out and 50' down off a cliff! he he he! Ooops! Still here! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sand - Dirt - Dunes = Fun
       04- 700V - 01- KX500
        08 TeryX 2012 KX450F

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2006, 02:53:00 AM »
oops just realized you said 500 Do I count? :P 250 man here

Air, if you are having to land on your rear tire to keep it from bottoming out you need some suspension work. It doesn't cost much and will make a 200% difference in your landings. You should have a nice soft landing especially in the sand. I do doubles and tripples and have even landed pretty flat and still don't do much damage to my 250's suspension or my back. lol

My 500, I've landed pretty serious doubles with it, one being a 100ft double. But, I had a decent landing ramp. That is what is going to matter is your landings.

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2006, 10:04:39 AM »
I'm not sure how far it is but I clear the Olds Double in Glamis with no problems.

Offline alan

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2006, 10:44:15 AM »
I'm not sure how far it is but I clear the Olds Double in Glamis with no problems.
Yep I would say that is far enough! :lol: :lol:
       04- 700V - 01- KX500
        08 TeryX 2012 KX450F

Offline kiwikx500

I just changed the title of the post - 1 for all and all for 1  8-)
1990 KX 500

eprovenzano

I'm not one for long distance jumps.  I always liked to keep at least one wheel on the ground.  Until recently I was doing the vintage scene.  I was aboard my trusty 74 Honda CR250 (yes, I bought it new in 1974). You know with all of 4 inches of travel it wasn't too hard to bottom her out.  Long jumps were great, but the landing was hell...  My body couldn't take the pounding any more, so I had to go modern, at least going from a 74 to a 99 is modern for me...  Now after a day of riding I'm just tired, and not in pain from the lack of suspension.

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
Wow! '74. It thought I was bad having owned a '79 CR125. I still have it too. But wouldn't dare take it to the track even though it has more suspension than my current 250's. Just can't take the jumps as well and is no where near as good in handling.

eprovenzano

Yes it was a 1974 Honda CR250M.  Not long ago I did take it to some tracks...  the looks I would get...  priceless.  The only time I would entertain the jumps was if it was a log tabletop, or a rolling jump, although a track near me has a nice up-hill double that I used to clear.  Other than that, I wasn't one for the jumps. 

Not long before I sold it, I had it at the track, and I let my son's friends take it for a spin.  One's a "B" rider, and the other 2 are pretty good "C" riders.  I asked them to take it slow for a few laps to get used to the old girl, then let her rip.  They all had the biggest grins on their faces.  They couldn't believe the power the bike had, but also the lack of suspension, and brakes (drum not disk).  They wanted to slip that engine into a modern bike with "real" suspension and brakes.

After riding her they now understood how I could blow by them on the flatter, non rutted, sections, and how I could dominate them on the up-hills.  they also understood why I they would catch and pass me in the ruff sections, on the long down-hills, in the jump and rhythm sections. Hey no suspension, and lack of brakes, and besides, I'm old and it takes longer to heal... (not to mention an old fat guy going over the handlebars is not a pretty site.)

After riding a modern bike, I realized what I was missing.  I don't hurt as much the day after a long ride.  After all those years on the vintage bike, I'm not one for major air. I still prefer keeping at least on wheel on the ground....

Offline Polar-Bus

Id be lucky if it was 10 meters for me, just a niewbee at it lolol :-D How high and far is the K5 capable of going before every thing bottoms out,it would have to do more than robbie kinevils CR lol (i think thats what he has) Man can he ride,we just finished watching the series here in NZ where he goes thru out the US on his jumping missions,nice choppers too  :-D (could you please list the model and size bike with your reply)

I race B 40+vet (REALLY old fart class). I typically clear 70ft tables after a few warm up laps. I DON'T challenge any more double jumps over 40ish feet generally speaking ( I just don't rebound from casing doubles like I used to years ago !)  I have kids, and a good job now that I need to keep, LOL
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline alan

• Administrator
I think that the length of the jump is linked to testosterone levels and as you age the level drops and so does the distance! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
       04- 700V - 01- KX500
        08 TeryX 2012 KX450F

Offline kiwikx500

yeah and you realize the drama that goes with it all rooted bike rooted body and rooted pride lol  70 ft thats some good air  :-D
1990 KX 500

Offline Polar-Bus

I think that the length of the jump is linked to testosterone levels and as you age the level drops and so does the distance! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yea, my wife keeps telling me the same things (levels are DROPPING) ...... LOL

Oh well, I still fend off all the teenage snot-nosed  racers at our local track, so i'm still in the game as far as I am concerned!! (porblem is I can only fend them off for 2 laps) !
« Last Edit: June 11, 2006, 11:04:41 PM by Polar-Bus »
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart